Hemi-Arthroplasty When to resume which vitamins and supplements post-op

Abraham

Country
United States United States
What vitamins and supplements should be resumed post-op for hip surgery? I was told to d/c fish oil, flaxseed oil, potassium, glucosamine,and multi-vitamin right after surgery. When can I resume them and which ones?

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart!
I am wondering if you experienced a total hip replacement and if so, we ask that you please provide the exact date and identify whether it was your right or left hip. We will use that information to create a signature for you.

Assuming you have undergone a replacement, I will leave our Recovery Guidelines which you may find beneficial.

Regarding supplements, it is best to consult with your OS or Primary Care Physician before taking vitamins or supplements post op in case you’re on any medication that may be sensitive to supplements.

Wishing you the best. Thanks for joining us!

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES
As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs
The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Nutrition is of paramount importance. Available here are dietary tips, nutrition basics and additional food supplements. These articles are both general advice on food and specific guidelines aimed at people both pre- and post-surgery.

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Dear Layla: Left partial hip replacement and date of surgery 3/17.23

Dear, All: Thank you for your encouraging and open stories! They are reassuring. I have a couple of questions: how long did it take for your pain to reduce or disappear? How long did it take for you not to feel tired and take naps and rests during the day and how long did it take to sleep through the night? I am almost four weeks after my surgery. I find I am still sleeping when tired--more often than before. Also, I get up during the night at least twice, sometimes more. And I experience pain on my left side. Yes, I hurt my knee in my fall, and that may be part or all of it, but I don't know. PLease share if you have feelings and wisdom.

Thank you for joining us, Abraham! Pain can last for several months to varying degrees, usually easing over time, but certain activity may also increase pain. So...go slow and easy. As far as fatigue, we refer to that as Energy Drain and many experience it. Since our body's energy supply isn't limitless, when we're in healing mode after major surgery our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing. Getting adequate sleep and rest is beneficial since our body does the best healing while we're sleeping.

Please notice that we moved your post from the Depression and Post Op Blues thread to this thread for better visibility and greater likelihood for feedback to your questions.

I will leave a link to threads of others that have undergone Hemi-Arthroplasty for you to read if interested.
Hemi-Arthroplasty

Best Wishes as you continue your healing journey, Abraham!
@Abraham

Question to all: Do you find you drink more water or liquids significantly after your surgery? I find I am doing that. I am not pre-diabetic, so I wonder if this is normal.

I‘ve moved your post above out of the Monthly team thread as we reserve that thread for surgery date information, and so members can see who else has surgery the same month. We prefer all other comments and discussions to take place in a pre-op or recovery thread, such as this one. So, I’ve started this Recovery Thread for you. Enjoy interacting with others who are on the same journey, here in this thread.

I think drinking more liquids is a good thing. Not only is it keeping you hydrated, it's getting you up to go to the rest room doing natural PT!

Your cellular metabolism is revved up (even if you're not! :heehee:) because it's putting so much energy into repair.

That increased metabolism needs increased water.

Any fluid counts - and too much plain water flushes out minerals - so a combination of water, broths, juices, fruits and veggies that have good water content - even yogurt and pudding are considered fluids.

I am at about 10 weeks and still feel tired toward the end of the day! My right leg is still swollen and angry tendons and muscles yet not painful unless I roll onto that side while sleeping! Then only tender! I am building my strength walking, step machine, stairs, leg lifts! I occasionally need pain medications and sleep pain free! I do have aches here and there that are from overdoing! i can‘t say I changed my water drinking but I did add back some vitamins and trying to eat balanced! OK’d by doctor!

Happy One Month Anniversary, Abraham!
How are you doing overall at this point? Please let us know.
I hope you enjoy the rest of the week!
@Abraham

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
dxross
Recent bookmarks
Back