Guest viewing is limited

TKR What did I get myself into?

but even after a year I have a little stiffness along with the tight band feeling just above the knee. And my kneecap? Feels really weird and I can not kneel on it. But I really think, little by little, my knee will continue to get stronger!
I had a lot of increased improvement in my second year.
 
Hi Will - I had my total knee replacement on June 5, 2023. Coming up on the 1 year mark. I am functional but not where I want to be. When I overdo I too have a weird feeling under my kneecap - my surgeon told me that is inflammation that I am feeling. I too can not kneel and when I try it feels wrong. Hopefully I will continue to recover. Hope you are doing good and thank you. Keep at it and you will get better.
 
I am having an early one year ortho appt on my R knee in a couple of days... still have soft tissue problems with lateral quads issues including pain with sitting despite great ROM and walking capacity.
It seems we are a cohort of folks who overall are doing well but still have very real concerns.
 
Here I am 15 months after a LTKR and the only thing that continues to give me issues is this tightness across my lower quad. I understand it has to do with the quad tendon. I surely hope its not permanent.

My right knee, which has mild osteoarthritis, has a bilateral meniscus tear and a strained MCL…was going to get the series of 3 gel injections but in all honestly the knee isn’t feeling too bad. Probably going to cancel the appts. A patial or, God forbid a total, may be down the road…hang in there everyone!!
 
@WillB Hi, Will, just wanted to let you know I copied your post above to put it in your recovery thread.

Here I am 15 months after a LTKR and the only thing that continues to give me issues is this tightness across my lower quad.
I had a lot of improvement all through my second year, and even some more in my third. I hope you will see the same.

A partial or, God forbid a total, may be down the road…
This statement makes me think that you think a partial is a much easier surgery and recovery. It’s really pretty much the same as a total, for most of us. I just didn’t want you to have the same unrealistic expectations that I did!
 
I agree with Jockette. We have found the recovery for the Partial and Total are almost the exact thing, both taking at least a year. Many of those who have had a partial with have to have it revised to a total within a few years.
 
@WillB I feel your concerns. I have been an addicted pickleball player for 2 years. Started playing 3 years after my 1st RTKR in 2018 and honestly the R knee handled my increased running, quick bursts and lateral hopping movements on the court pretty well. It was the L knee with a flipping torn meniscus with gradual bone on bone that eventually gave up and cried uncle after 2 years of cortisone shots this past Jan and I had the 2nd knee LTKR in Feb 2024. I’m playing again 2x week at 13 weeks post op and taking it slow (frustrating as hell) but I know from the 5 year old new R knee that the pain and stiffness will go away after about 2 years. I could kneel on it no problem after 3 years. It truly takes YEARS not months to see full healing. I truly hope the gel shots work for you! My hubby (age 69) had a torn meniscus laparoscopy trim/clean up, which put him out of playing for 6 weeks but then he started playing PB pain free again. But there is arthritis in his knee too which will eventually lead to a TKR at some point. I’m here to tell you that pickleball playing is not going away for us!! Hope you are finding pain relief !!!
 
@andpeaches …thanks for the post. At now 16 months since LTKR its ok but still a little stiff but certainly livable. The issue with my right knee has subsided a bit. I ended up only having 1 gel shot after reading there is little benefit if one has only MILD osteoarthritis. I actually think the slight bilateral meniscus tear is healing itself. While I do wear a brace on my knee, I can play 3/4 times a week without issues! Nearing 77 pickleball keeps me active and challenged.
 
It has been a while since I posted and am now over 20 mos since my LTKR. I honestly have to say I am now disappointed in how my knee is doing! I now only play pickleball two days a week due to a meniscus tear in my right knee.
However, my new knee seems just as stiff and more sore now than it was months ago. It really stiffens at night when I go to sleep. I can barely cross my legs due to stiffness and lack of sufficient bend which was around 115 when last evaluated. Maybe more PT att would help…just disappointed with the stiffness and occasional pain which now seems more isolated behind the knee…anyone have any thoughts?
 
I am sorry your new knee isn't doing as well as you expected it would be. Have you contacted your OS about it? I don't think PT would help because it sounds like it's inflamed since you still have stiffness. I suggest you cut back on your activities for about a month, and rest your knee much more than what you are doing. It is possible that you are not completely healed yet. Some do take a couple of years or more to have complete healing. You might be ones of those. But, be sure and contact your doctor about it.
 
I do have a follow up appt with my OS mid October. Will look at the new knee as well as the right knee with the meniscus tear. I am going to start a 30 min walking routine once we are back in AZ…
 
@WillB I will be very interested in what your OS has to say--I too have an October appointment and have many similar complaints. Not terrible but also not great. Stiffness and pain upon getting up from a seated position are still bothering me. I feel like there has been a little backsliding. Will be watching your thread--good luck!
 
It has been a while since I posted and am now over 20 mos since my LTKR. I honestly have to say I am now disappointed in how my knee is doing! I now only play pickleball two days a week due to a meniscus tear in my right knee.
However, my new knee seems just as stiff and more sore now than it was months ago. It really stiffens at night when I go to sleep. I can barely cross my legs due to stiffness and lack of sufficient bend which was around 115 when last evaluated. Maybe more PT att would help…just disappointed with the stiffness and occasional pain which now seems more isolated behind the knee…anyone have any thoughts?
Hi, I found your thread as I searched for knee stiffness. I'm sorry your new knee is still stiff; my new right knee that was replaced October 2023 is, too, on the outside (lateral side). At my annual post op appointment my surgeon heard and felt scar tissue as did I so he removed it six weeks ago; it's been stiff as it heals from this procedure. Some mornings I have about 15 minutes after arising before it gets stiff, and other days it's stiff when I get out of bed. I learned here that swelling can prevent the knee from bending; during the months I didn't have PT my ROM increased to 130. How was your October appointment with your OS?
 
Well, here we go with another knee forthcoming. Just over 2 years since my left TKR and while it is still a bit stiff with the tight band feeling I can live with it!
Now looking to get my right knee replaced. BUT, it will be a Jiffy knee replacement this time. Curious if others have had the Jiffy…less invasive and a much easier recovery. Have an appt next week to schedule surgery. Have to travel 160 miles for this surgical appointment.
 
BUT, it will be a Jiffy knee replacement this time. Curious if others have had the Jiffy…less invasive and a much easier recovery.
Best Wishes with the Jiffy Knee. Yes, we’ve had other members get it but I don’t think they posted much about it. I do hope you’ll consider becoming an Insider Member so you’ll be able to start a Recovery Thread for your second knee.
 
Hi Will,
Nice to hear from you! Sorry it's because you need a new knee.
A belated Happy Two Year Anniversary, Lefty!

If you use the SEARCH at the top right page and type in key words like "jiffy knee" all of the threads where it's been mentioned will pop up. Best wishes for your appointment next week. That's quite a distance you'll be driving. Safe travels! :wave:
@WillB
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom