Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always helps to lose weight - that is if you really need to do so. But for most losing weight pre-op is extremely difficult. If you don't have any mobility issues you may be able to exercise. But are you in pain weight for your op?

If you can, I would recommend it. Any extra weight causes additional strain on our joints. As Jaycey says, it may be hard to exercise if you're in pain, so I just kept a tight control on my eating. Good luck

It also depends on how long until your surgery. If you have a month or more, some exercise can help as long as it doesn't hurt you. Less than a month and you probably wouldn't lose enough to matter one way or the other. But, what you don't want to do is to exercise to the point that you inflame your hip. Going into surgery with an angry hip is not good. As long as you avoid that, losing some weight is always a good thing.

Thank you. That really helps
I have a small build and size 8 so i am planning to loose about half a stone. My op is about 6 months away (I think!) . I am still waiting for my surgery date

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

Gosh that's hardly overweight! Be careful you don't tax yourself. You need to be in the best possible health ahead of surgery and a strict diet might mean you are denying your body of vital nutrition.

@sibs if you are only size 8 you are definitely not overweight. I would not recommend you try and lose any weight. You need your strength going into surgery. Better to eat healthy meals and very light exercise to maintain your strength.

Absolutely! Don't you dare loose weight! Do you know what your BMI is?
If you would share with me your weight and height, I'll work it out for you.

Absolutely! Don't you dare loose weight! Do you know what your BMI is?
If you would share with me your weight and height, I'll work it out for you.

Hi,
My BMI is 24.18
it is slightly above healthy bmi i think. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

Your BMI looks fine to me. No need to lose weight. You will lose some post op when you start moving around more.

No need to lose weight. Mine is 33 and no-one asked me to reduce before surgery. I did do a lot of walking though to get fitter before surgery which helped massively. You'll also need a lot of calories for the healing process (I read 6,000/day) so no need to go in skinny! You'll also need to haul yourself about using your upper body so getting fit is a very good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
galvesean
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom