Weaning off medication

Status
Not open for further replies.
Call your OS or PA for weaning schedule advice. I had a vague idea of how I was going to do it, but my PA's advice turned out to be sager.....for ME. Only person who knows your body, your knee and your pain as well as you do are those who treated you, not us!

Gran,
If you are still in pain, and swelling is a type of pain, then you need to be still taking the pain meds. You need to call your OS tell them about the problem and let them either tell you how to wean off or let them give you more meds.

He is The one that took me off..He said thats why Im depressed and still having pain. He put me on nerve blocker, nuerotin PLUS more STEROIDS I will be glad to get off them cuz I have felt sick and lifeless for weeks..He told me to stop them..This is after having me take them for 12 weeks...shocked me....He said they are causing me not to heal..
SO, I will be cutting these in half and I guess quarters after that. He said ro just stop them and said I may get sick..Im just so shocked.
Oh ne said my red leg was fine...any ideas besides talking to him????

Gran17, if you have been on steroids for 12 weeks you cannot just stop them, you must wean down and he needs to give you a proper weaning schedule. I have had to take steroids many times over the past 37 yrs of living with Crohns, and you cannot just stop them, you could have an adrenal crisis and wind up in the ER. What he said about them causing you not to heal properly is true also.

I am gonna tag Josephine on this so she can properly advise more. Hugs!

Nanners....no It was. percocets he took me off..cold turkey..I have 10 left and have to wean off...The steriods I have to take after I am off Percocets..i am nervous about withdrawels...

Withdrawals are not inevitable, Gran. Although it depends upon how long you have been taking them. How long have you been taking them?

Provided you just reduce them a little bit each week (note week, not days!) you shouldn't have a problem at all. I think Jamie has put together a nice schedule but I can't find it. Jamie, can you help please?...

JOsephine...I dont have weeks..Only had 10 left when he took me off..He told me to just stop them but I was afraid..He said they were making more harm with all the depression...I have been cutting them in half..

There is a thread in the BoneSmart Library that addresses pain medication and provides a general schedule for weaning off the meds. Here is a link to it.

But.....you will not be able to do this with just 10 pills. You need to request additional pain meds from your doctor. You should NOT just stop them if you are taking them regularly throughout the day. If you do, you will likely have some uncomfortable symptoms associated with dependency. Your body has become used to the medication and often when it stops abruptly, you'll feel flu-like symptoms for three days or more.

A better plan would be to contact your GP and see if he can prescribe something for you to use to taper off using that schedule. Surgeons can sometimes be so cavalier about pain medications. You can bet if it was HIS knee, he'd be singing a different tune.
You can even go to 1/4 pill as well. You can substitute the BoneSmart Cocktail for one or more of the perc doses. Save the perc for night time as it is usually more difficult to sleep with pain than be awake with it during the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JWS
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom