TKR Two hour ride home day after TKR

What pain med was it that you reacted to?

Not really. Very UNcommon as far as I know

@Josephine It was Oxycodone. It must have been that as my hives have gone away. What an extra difficulty. Ugh!

@Josephine It was Oxycodone. It must have been that as my hives have gone away. What an extra difficulty. Ugh!

I had an oxy experience also. While taking it, it worked perfect. Pretty much eliminated the pain, and no side effects (the ones they told me about included itching). Then, one day, got sick and ended up not taking any for a day. That night - major sweats. Per my doc's ofc, it was my body withdrawing, even though I didn't have a psychological dependence. So, I stopped taking it altogether at 9 days post-op.

They recommended Tylenol, but OTC meds don't really seem to do much for me. I'm just taking them at bedtime and wake-up....hoping they'll take a little of the edge off. Unless it's a 'healing' med, as opposed to a symptom-focused med, I'm not really a fan. I figure I'm going to be in some pain for a certain number of days/weeks with or without the meds, so I just tolerate it the best I can. The good (best?) thing is...I do have a way - with the right set of pillows and ice paks - to get to almost zero pain, no matter how I'm feeling at any given moment.

Hang in there, congrats on the first night of sleep!

weeks out from surgery- slept through the night for the first time! What a wonderful feeling!
That is wonderful. I don't even do that now! It's for potty breaks, though, not my knees! Aggravating!

@Desertgal Hi there :). Actually it was just one night with uninterrupted sleep- unfortunately with no reoccurrence so far. I was hopeful -maybe it was the start of good sleep but no- still up a lot at night and napping a lot. I am on hydrocodone now which I am not allergic too. Yay! I keep thinking by now I should be able to sleep normally. Have to keep reminding myself I am healing!:yawn: hope you are well!!

@Rhodyrhody I’m sorry you had a similar negative pain pill experience. I guess it’s more common than I knew.
You are amazing! I got another pain med - hydrocodone that I am not allergic too -ASAP. I can’t imagine not having a pain pill. I have had 2 days when I had to go off the first pill and then 2 days waiting for a prescription when I wasn’t on pain pills and I was barely making it through the day. It hurts!!! I don’t like all the side effects though. Glad you found a way to manage pain that works well. I look forward to a pain free and a pain pill free future!!

@Jlawless - at least you are back on track. Sleep still eludes me also. I just take it when I can. I have found sleeping upright in my chair with my leg elevated and on ice provides the most comfortable sleep. I have just resolved that until I am off the meds, this is how it will be. Like you, I am on hydrocodone. I like it much better than the oxy I took last time. Seems like less side effects with the hydro. I’m hoping to star tappering off next week. I see the OS on Monday. Keep on the healing path!:flwrysmile:

Unfortunately poor sleep patterns can last a very long time for some of us.

Yes, sadly for some of us, poor sleep lasts a lot longer than the pain meds. I was totally off everything but Tylenol by the one month mark but it was a few months more before I slept decently.

I’m sorry to say it was nearly 3 months before I slept through the night. Just keep napping to give your body that healing sleep it needs.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Helpmyknee21
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom