Revision THR Trunnionosis

NewlyHip

Country
United States United States
Hello again BoneSmart folks.

On February 3 of this year I had hip revision surgery done at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. The reason for the revision was a destruction of muscle tissue in my right hip related to trunnionosis. Trunnionosis is defined as corrosion of the femoral head–neck interface; and, in my case, it caused metal ions to be released into my body (metallosis) resulting in severe necrosis of my abductor muscle.

After months of not having my mobility and pain issues figured out by local doctors, I went to Mayo Clinic where I figured a correct diagnosis was likely. After proper blood, urine, and imaging tests, a diagnosis of trunionosis/metalosis resulted, and my revision surgery was scheduled. The surgery was successful and involved removal of the dead muscle tissue, replacement of the cobalt-chromium femoral head with a ceramic femoral head, resizing the polyethylene acetabular cup to accommodate the new head, and reconstructing the musculature in the right hip.

I spent one night in the hospital and then spent a couple of days in a hotel with my wife. There is no formal rehab for 5 weeks and I am using a walker to move about the house. The goal is to only put “toe-touch” pressure on the right leg for a 5-week period. The pain has been surprisingly mild and I only take Tylenol a couple of times a day to stay ahead of the modest pain I do have.

Hopefully any folks who are having perplexing issues a few years after hip replacement will keep in mind that trunnionosis is very possibly the cause. Determination of the issue is very easily obtained with proper blood/urine tests and imaging tests. Waiting too long to remedy the situation can result in a variety of serious medical issues.

Be well everyone!

P.S. Here is a link to an article that more fully explains my situation:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2352344120302533

Hello, Mark. What an unfortunate series of events for you but we're glad you're on the road to recovery and regained health. I hadn't heard of trunnionosis and found your description and subsequent article both informative and fascinating. This will be something else to keep in mind when advising members who develop persistent symptoms in the years post THR, especially with cobalt and chromium implants. Thank you for the update. We wish you the best going forward. Please please keep us informed on how you are doing.
@NewlyHip

The revision surgical incision is significantly larger than my original incision, to allow for all the reconstruction of the muscle and tendons in the right hip area. I have posted a photo on the hip scars thread showing the surgical bandage.

@NewlyHip So sorry you had this experience. We have had several member who developed this issue post THR. I think you were very wise to seek a second opinion at Mayo. Sometimes the most challenging part of this situation is getting a proper diagnosis.

Sounds like your recovery is on track. Please keep us updated!

That's a lot to digest, I guess a lot can go wrong no matter how good you recover initially.
A friend of mine developed infection in her hips several years after her surgeries. It's frustrating for sure but happy you found answers and now are on new recovery road.
Keep us posted and stay well.

Mark, what a journey you've had.. but hopefully it is all smooth sailing from this point on. glad to hear that you aren't in a lot of pain/discomfort.
So glad you took the initiative and contacted the Mayo Clinic to get a resolution!

You are most likely familiar with these, but it's been a while so I will leave the Recovery Guidelines here for you to read through again. There's things that we forget about and the articles are a good reminder.
Congrats on getting your new and improved hip.

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs
The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

@NewlyHip
Wow, interesting! Symptoms seem so much like mine. So it doesn't have to be metal on metal? I would like the blood test done then. I can't remember who, but someone had suggested I got to the Mayo clinic in the Phoenix area.

@danelady
I personally feel Mayo Clinic is the best place to go to avoid an incorrect diagnosis. Best wishes for a successful search for an answer. If you might be interested here is Mayo's Model of Care:

Mayo Clinic Model of Care
The Mayo Clinic Model of Care is defined by high quality, compassionate medical care delivered in a multispecialty, integrated academic institution. The primary focus, meeting the needs of the patient, is accomplished by embracing the following core elements (attributes) as the practice continues to evolve.
Patient Care
• Collegial, cooperative, staff teamwork with true multi-specialty integration
• An unhurried examination with time to listen to the patient
• Physicians taking personal responsibility for directing patient care over time in a partnership with the local physician
• Highest quality patient care provided with compassion and trust
• Respect for the patient, family and the patient’s local physician
• Comprehensive evaluation with timely, efficient assessment and treatment
• Availability of the most advanced, innovative diagnostic and therapeutic technology and techniques
Environment
• Highest quality staff mentored in the culture of Mayo and valued for their contributions
• Valued professional allied-health staff with a strong work ethic, special expertise and devotion to Mayo
• A scholarly environment of research and education
• Physician leadership
• Integrated medical record with common support services for all outpatients and inpatients
• Professional compensation that allows a focus on quality, not quantity
• Unique professional dress, decorum and facilities

A little over three weeks post-surgery and the steri-strips are off (pic on scars thread). Virtually no pain and have progressed from walker to crutches (was able to walk my dog a bit the other day using the crutches). Just toe-touch on the right leg for another week. About two weeks before PT begins. Recovery has been surprisingly easy so far, except for the fact that it takes about three times as long to accomplish most day-to-day tasks.

:wave:Good to hear how well you are doing, my friend. Incision Iooks to be healing well too.
I know you will be glad when weight bearing restrictions go by the wayside...
Hope things keep getting better and better.:ok:

Hi NewlyHip,
Glad you're doing well. It's been a month since your revision.
Happy One Month Anniversary! May each month be better than the last.
Thanks for sharing your journey with us. :wave:
@NewlyHip

@Layla Thanks so much! Actually now able to walk with no devices, but find it much easier to use a cane.

@NewlyHip Another wonderful video! Striding along AND on snowy ground. Thanks for sharing that!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom