Ankle Total ankle arthroplasty July 8, 2019

Nice video! Thanks so much for posting it. Seeing that visual will be a real boost for people who are facing ankle replacement and wondering what life will be like afterwards.

Are you doing specific exercises to work on your range of motion?

Walked the dog early today wearing hiking boots.
Well done! But - ouch. I can see that hiking boots might be a bit uncomfortable since the ankle is still a bit swollen.

Your ROM is great - especially so early out! Thanks for keeping us updated!

@Jamie I am not doing anything beyond trying to use the new ankle (carefully) as much as I can without the CAM boot. The one thing I want folks to know is that walking without the CAM boot is significantly more challenging and results in more swelling. The key for me has been to limit the CAM-boot-free walks to no more than about a hundred yards (91.44 meters for the UK folks).

That's great information about what is working for you, NewlyHip. Thanks!

Wow, I'm amazed at your quick recovery and progress. Thank you for sharing your video. I'm more convinced every day that I'm making the right decision to go ahead with my TAR surgery on Sept. 18th. Keep your reports coming!!

@robyn9690 Thanks, and you’re welcome. The recovery has been a pleasant surprise to say the least. Hope all goes equally well for you during and after your surgery!

To give folks a bit of insight into my walk before surgery, I want to mention an unusual condition I was diagnosed with that was most likely caused by my arthritic ankle. The condition is known as Adhesive Capsulitis and normally affects a person’s shoulder area. In my case the affliction severely limited the range of motion in my hip area.

The very competent physical therapist I consulted thought it was most likely that my body was trying to protect me from pain in the ankle area by essentially shutting down the function of my entire leg. This stiffness issue still exists but does seem to be very slowly improving now that I am able to use my ankle without pain.

My PT fellow said he has come across the same condition in elite runners doing a hundred-plus miles per week. He said they would present with complaints similar to mine after they’d developed small calluses or corns that resulted in a change in their gait during runs. Their body then compensated to keep the runner’s foot from producing pain as the callus or corn hit the ground thousands of times on a run.

Great update video, Mark. Thanks also for the explanation of your adhesive capsulitis. I can see where that may have impacted your entire leg over time. Isn't it great that things are able to improve like this once your ankle could work properly again. The blessings of medical science and an excellent surgeon.

Wow - amazing progress @NewlyHip ! Thanks for the update. I am sure your experience will encourage members considering this surgery.

Second post-surgery follow-up appointment today. Everything is going very well according to the surgeon’s PA. The next step is PT in early August to strengthen and loosen up the ankle area.

Photo shows x-rays of my Integra Cadence ® Total Ankle System. Here’s a link to Inegra’s data on this prosthesis: https://www.integralife.com/file/general/1524242189.pdf.

Attachments

• Ankle Replacement Implant X-ray Photos.jpg
    Ankle Replacement Implant X-ray Photos.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 236
Oh, thank you!!! Beautiful xrays in addition to a glowing report. Things just keep getting better and better. Thanks for also identifying your implant and providing a link to the corporate site.

Correction to previous post. PT begins in early SEPTEMBER.

Update.

First day of PT yesterday and the therapist said things looked good. This particular therapist is associated with my surgeon’s practice and is very familiar with total ankle replacement. That being said, he told me he only gets about four TAR patients a year in his clinic. Because this surgery is so rare, my advice would be to select, if feasible, a therapist who is experienced with TAR rehab.

Things went well at the clinic but the ankle is quite stiff and swollen. There was not a great deal of ankle pain but my upper leg and hip were very tight and moderately painful during certain exercises. My ability to stretch and strengthen the ankle was negatively impacted by this upper-leg stiffness. I suppose this just means a bit slower go than if everything else was working perfectly. Most people recovering from TAR will be older folks like me who have at least one comorbidity to deal with during rehab.

Photos show the six exercises I was given to do at home and in the clinic. I will only be at the clinic one day per week.
PT1.jpg
PT2.jpg
PT3.jpg
PT4.jpg
PT5.jpg
PT6.jpg

Yes, thanks for the images. We're getting quite a club of TAR patients now and I know they appreciate your well-documented recovery.

Update.

A few days ago I saw a really attractive wooden cane made by a craftsperson and decided to buy it. I mainly purchased it because I liked the way it looked, but the more I use it on walks, the more I like it for its utility.

What the cane allows me to do is keep a better posture while walking and standing. It also allows me to eliminate many pounds of pressure on my ankle with each step I take. The result is much less fatigue and ache at the end of a walk – and at the end of the day.

What the cane allows me to do is keep a better posture while walking and standing. It also allows me to eliminate many pounds of pressure on my ankle with each step I take. The result is much less fatigue and ache at the end of a walk – and at the end of the day.
Sounds perfect @NewlyHip ! Just what you need to transition to full weight bearing.

Really cool.....how 'bout a photo of this fantastic cane?

Sorry for missing your question Jamie. Here’s a photo of the cane. I like it more each day!

Attachments

• Cane.jpg
    Cane.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 236
That is cool. Bet you get compliments on it when you take it out for a spin.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • CricketHip
    Staff member since June 5, 2019
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member