THR Tomorrow is the day! Recovery info to follow:)

AmberRae

Country
United States United States
Even after limping around for the last year, it seems like this day has come quickly! I have put it off thinking I could health my way out of it, instead wearing it down to bone on bone/spurs/the whole works.
I find myself strangely weirded out by the fact that a part of my body will be lying in medical waste tomorrow night (morbid, I know). So to counteract that I have been thinking of all of the places and activities my hip has taken me to. Then I realized I was kind of Marie Kondo-ing my hip: "Thank you, right hip, for your service. (mental images of walks on the beach, hikes, walking down the aisle, carrying babies and grandbabies around and on and on). You no longer bring me joy, so now I will let you go." Since being healthy is my bent I have been researching the best pre-surgery foods and the best for bone and wound healing after surgery. My freezer is somewhat stocked and I am ready to go. Baked sweet potato with shredded bbq chicken and broccoli for dinner tonight, along with a cup of bone broth:) So grateful to have the knowledge that the One who knit my bones together is still in the bone-knitting business and will be there every step of the way, making my body do what He designed it to do.

Welcome to Recovery...well almost. :wink: I will leave a copy of our Recovery Guidelines here and type more in a post below.

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES
As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs
The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Nutrition is of paramount importance. Available here are dietary tips, nutrition basics and additional food supplements. These articles are both general advice on food and specific guidelines aimed at people both pre- and post-surgery.

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

@AmberRae wishing you the best tomorrow. Please let us know how it goes when you feel like it. You're going to be surprised how much better you're going to feel after surgery. Yes, there will be surgical pain but that bone on bone that's been gnawing at you will be gone. Sounds like you have a good dinner planned and hoping you have a peaceful night.

I find myself strangely weirded out by the fact that a part of my body will be lying in medical waste tomorrow night
You are taking the stuff that hurts and throwing it in the trash, thank it for getting you this far, then goodbye and on with the upgrades! Good luck!

Boy, can I relate to your post! I had a quiet little meltdown leaving tears on my pillow the night before my op.
I found myself giving thanks for all of the places my hip took me over the years and felt I was mourning a loss.
It was a loss, just as you mentioned I was losing a part of me, but a part that was no longer serving me well. :boohoo:Surprisingly I even slept after that, which was unexpected.

I drank Bone Broth daily for about a month post op and also took and injury and surgical support formula for a month, so I can relate to your thoughts / efforts in that area also. Stay well hydrated too!
So grateful to have the knowledge that the One who knit my bones together is still in the bone-knitting business and will be there every step of the way, making my body do what He designed it to do.
Love this!
High Five, sister, PTL! I will be watching for an update, once you're home and resting comfortably.
All the best!

AmberRae, 6 days into healing now and it is better every day .
You will see.
Sounds like you have the right frame of mind to get the job done , slow and steady as you go.
In the morning I will be talking tomorrow to the One who knit us both together and also bestowed much wisdom and incredible skills on the people dedicated to improving lives of you and all others they work to restore health too tomorrow,
God Bless.

Amber,
Loved how you thanked your soon to be old hip for taking you on many happy travels!
All my best as you enter recovery.

Surgery Day and Updates:
Surgery day was more intense than expected. My appointment got pushed back until 2 pm, and with no drinks since midnight I was pretty dehydrated by the time I was wheeled in. I remember going into the ER, being told to roll my back for the epidural...and that is all. Yay! I had had nightmares about being able to hear bones being sawed since I wasn't all the way under. My husband received a call two hours into surgery, assuming it was the notice that I was being wheeled into recovery. Instead it was the surgeon's nurse calling to say the hip socket and arthritis were way worse than they looked on x-ray, cartilage non-existent etc., so it was taking a lot more work. Surgery lasted 3 1/2 hours. I lost a lot of blood, so it had to be recycled back into me, and I went through 2 or 3 bags of IV fluids in surgery. My husband says the first thing I said when I woke up is "can I have some lip balm now?" After about an hour and a half in recovery they decided it was time to check me out. My nurse shift had just changed and they were missing some of the important details I had given the surgery nurse earlier. As soon as I sat up on the edge of the bed and tried to stand I knew it wasn't going to work...I was dizzy and nauseous, and as they were handing me a blue bag I passed out. My h says my eyes rolled back in my head and I slumped into his arms. So, another IV had to go back into the other arm and another post-op bag of fluids was pumped in. We finally left around 8:30 pm. Looking back I think with the surgery being so long, losing so much blood and having low blood pressure to start with it would have been wise to spend the night. Since I was in a surgery center it would have required an ambulance ride to a hospital. Every time I tried to get up to pee at home I would get dizzy again, so it took until about 3 in the morning before I had recovered enough to make it and could fall asleep.
Me pre-surgery: I probably won't need any of the opiods; tylenol and celebrex will be fine
Me after surgery: what's next on the pain schedule? Bring it on!!

Day Two: Woke up feeling much better. I stayed on all the meds all day. I was able to get up every couple of hours to walk around, go potty, and even sit on the back porch in the sun for awhile. But mostly I slept and slept! My husband is a pastor and had a Good Friday service to preach to 2000 people yesterday so he took great care of me all day and left me in my daughter's capable hands. Not sure how he managed after so little sleep the night before, but he did a wonderful job:)

Day Three: Feeling really good and looking better. I have been able to take short walker-walks every hour, helped make a smoothie for breakfast, sat out on the back porch in the sunshine, and even made it upstairs to take a shower! The pain pump is awesome--you don't feel it at all but every couple of hours numbing medication is pumped around the injury. I have gone off the Oxy because it makes me itch all over like crazy. My appetite is low, and in spite of all my pre-planned post surgery bone healing foods I was craving potato chips. haha. At least they were organic/olive oil/sea salt chips. I think I need salt since PT came today and my blood pressure it still really low. Only 76/51 when I stand up. All in all day one was worse than I expected and day three is better. So grateful to have both my daughter and husband here (and it just might have taken them both to get those compression socks back on!!)

Last edited:
How is day six going for you? I remember the first two weeks definitely being rough but things improved over time.

@AmberRae you’re probably heading into the days of most swelling which I found to be pretty hard. My surgery was 3/26 so I’m a couple days ahead and the swelling is starting to subside. I’m sending good wishes for a smooth recovery for you. I sure found this forum to be helpful in answering questions about my recovery and in general just getting support from folks who actually have been through it.

Good luck girls , pretty much similar to my experience. Follow Bonesmart super advice and you won’t be far off . Continued recovery stay off the drink haha

Tomorrow marks three weeks since my surgery. Boy, does it feel longer than that! I have written short (and quite eloquent, I might add) updates in my head each day, but the motivation/energy has just not been there. That is one of the things I was not prepared for...the utter lack of desire to do anything. I am not a person who sits often during the day....I rarely even watch tv without folding laundry, stretching, lifting weights or doing dishes--so this has been very new for me. I feel like I am clawing my way out of a foggy pit. I think recovery was hampered by how many people told me I was young (-ish 59), fit, healthy, active and would sail through it. "You'll feel better when you wake up than you have in years!" "Alice walked around the block without a walker the day after surgery." "Bill came to church the next week and said it felt like he was slightly bruised from a fall." and on and on. This has not been my reality, so it has been good to come on here and remember that there is a huge spectrum of recovery rates.
Today was a good day: I took two 1/2 mile walks with just one hiking pole, cooked and cleaned up all three meals, did a load of laundry and cleaned up a bunch of email. I will back up and try to remember my milestones:

Days 4 and 5 post surgery were really rough for me. I wasn't in a ton of pain, no longer taking the opioids, but I kept crying for no reason. I know going off the drugs can contribute, but I think it was also just the realization of how much trauma my body had been through. The Denver spring weather was lovely and I was able to sit outside for awhile but it made me sad to see so many people out on the trails behind our house. I felt like I was never going to walk again and maybe I should move because I didn't want to watch everybody else walking! I went to see my acupuncturist the evening of day 5 and cried through my appointment. It was very cleansing, and I woke up on day 6 feeling way more emotionally stable.

However, Day 6, when my husband helped me out of bed things were not good. (I spent the first four nights on the couch in my nest, even though stairs have not been a problem for me since Day 2, tried one night in our bed, then moved to the guest room for a week where the mattress is much softer). As my post surgery leg straightened out an intense pain coursed through my leg and I couldn't put any weight on it. It felt like all of the muscles in my thigh were ripping. I could only walk using lots of arm strength on the walker. The pain slowly dissipated and within 10 minutes or so I could walk normally with the walker. This continued after any long down periods. The doctor had me come in for an extra x-ray the next day, but all was good. My prolonged surgery might have beat up the tendon and muscles more than usual. Mornings are still rough, but getting a little better each day.

I made a decision that day to stop envying the runners/walkers/hikers/bikers I can see from my deck and instead visualize myself out there with them. I quit calling my new hip the "bad" leg and changed it to the new hip, the renewing leg, the recovering side, etc.

Things that have surprised me: On a positive note, the first time I "accidentally" took a few un-aided steps (8-9 days in) I felt like a new toddler taking first steps! Each day I can do something that I couldn't the day before. At 11 days I walked 2/10s of a mile with a walker and came home and slept for two hours! But five days later, I walked 7/10s of a mile with the walker, and now am taking my daily walks without one. We are fortunate to have many lovely paved paths here.

The day of my two week check up came with a lot of firsts: I got out of bed without my husband's help, got in the car by myself, started using light arm weights, and went out to eat.

I've also been surprised by what I call collateral damage. Some of these things might be because my surgery was so intense, but all things I didn't expect. While my actual hip doesn't hurt any worse than I expected, it's the pain everywhere else I didn't plan on. The muscle pain above my knee, weird tweaks in my groin and down the inside of my leg, an IT band that hurt to touch, swollen ankles (and intense ankle pain at night --likely from so long in the compression boots) a hand that wakes up numb (on the arm that was straitjacketed across my chest during surgery), crazy bruising around my knee and down my calf (I used arnica gel from day one on my thigh and have no bruising there, but the bruise behind my knee was so bad the sheet would hurt it), morning headaches and stomach aches from so much Tylenol, and absolute exhaustion (I lost a lot of blood and blood pressure has been low). And I know, I know I shouldn't have weighed myself, but shocking to see one week after surgery I was 7 lbs heavier than the day I went in! Two weeks later some of the swelling has gone down, but the scale has not.

The last couple of days I have started to feel a little bit closer to myself. I know that I will hike again! (motivated by my sister who hiked 6 miles last week--double hip surgery two years ago). I am accepting that a daily nap might be part of my routine for a while longer. I am taking collagen, high vitamin butter oil and cod liver oil, and picturing that working to heal my bones, muscles, tendons, and that shocking scar!

Thank you for the update.

I'm so sorry your mood kept you away as we could have been offering so much support and context for what you were going through. :console2:

But it's good to learn of your mobility milestones and more positive outlook. Know that we're here regardless of how you're feeling

I think when you are an active person & all of a sudden you can't do what you are used to doing it is very depressing.
Majority of us went through sadness/depression after surgery so you are not alone & we are here to boost your spirits if need be.
You will hike again, you will do everything you loved again. Just will take some time.
Stay well.

I think recovery was hampered by how many people told me I was young (-ish 59), fit, healthy, active and would sail through it. "You'll feel better when you wake up than you have in years!" "Alice walked around the block without a walker the day after surgery." "Bill came to church the next week and said it felt like he was slightly bruised from a fall." and on and on.
I heard the same kind of nonsense prior to my THR. But, you notice it's always someone who did NOT have this surgery who reports on another's "miracle" recovery (for example, "my 2nd cousin's wife climbed Mount Everest the day after surgery!")

You've been through major surgery the traumatized not just the bones, but the nerves, muscles and all of the soft tissue in your leg. No wonder you hurt!

At 3 weeks post-op, you are still very early days in this year-long recovery. But it does get better. Try to ignore the crazy statements from people who haven't been through it. Give it time.

We've been where you are and will be here to support you on the journey of healing.:angel:

Yesterday was a beautiful sunny spring day, and I made it one mile on my walk with one hiking pole! Woohoo!

Last night I slept through the night for the first time! (Well technically I didn't have to get up at all; I did wake up a few times.)

I have been waking up with headaches most mornings since about 6 days after surgery. They dissipate quickly enough, but I am wondering if anybody else has experienced this. I tried changing out beds and pillows, but that doesn't seem to be the issue.

I still desperately need my afternoon naps, and continue to feel cozy in my nest on the sectional, legs up on the Lounge Doctor, warm blankets replaced by afternoon sun coming through the window:)

You paint a charming picture of your nest!

If you're waking up with a headache, and not needing to get up to pee overnight, is it possible you're overly restricting afternoon fluids so you wake mildly dehydrated? Is it worth having water at the bedside to sip when you briefly waken?

I have been waking up with headaches most mornings since about 6 days after surgery. They dissipate quickly enough,
A couple considerations...

Poor sleep quality can cause headaches, and improved sleep quality can help relieve them. How is your sleep?

If this applies -
Taking over-the-counter pain medication too often or too long also can cause morning headaches because the body goes through withdrawal overnight. To avoid this, over-the-counter pain relievers should be used no more than 10 days a month or a couple of times a week.

Afternoon naps are wonderful for you now. Sleep is healing and that's a good thing! :sleep:
Enjoy the week, AmberRae!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Becky56
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom