To starve or not to starve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coppernob

graduate
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
On the day of my surgery I don't have to be at the hospital until 11.00 am which presumably means I'll be on the afternoon list. Even so I have to starve from midnight, though I can have clear fluids until 7.00 am. In the past I've always had to starve from midnight but have had to be at hospital for anything from 6.30 to 8.00 am and, apart from once, have then been on the morning list.

As I end up with a mega headache if I get over hungry, would it be worth a call to see if I can have a piece of toast before 7.00 too or should I just obey instructions? Linda x

I had the same issue. My surgery was at 3:00 pm in the afternoon. They told me NOTHING after midnight PERIOD. It was a warm June dAy. By the time I got to the hospital it had been 12 hours plus since I had any fluids and I was quite dehydrated. The food part was no big deal as I had fasted on juice for three days prior to clean out my system. You can ask them, but when I asked if I could have just a sip of water...they said NO!

I was told 8 or 9 hours and could take a tiny bit of water to take my meds. I followed this and had no vomitting after surgery but I guess each is different. I once had an emergency surgery so I didn't follow that and I was so incredibly sick upon waking I would follow what they say and even then some.

Both my second arthroscopy and my second TKR were at 3:00 in the afternoon. Both times I was told absolutely nothing after midnight. I was allowed to take my BP pill in the morning with a small sip of water. Honestly, I was fine. Before hand I didn't think I'd be able to do it, but on those days I guess nerves got the better of me since I really didn't feel hungry at all.

I would definitely ask...it sounds like you might have low blood sugar or at the very least be very sensitive to it.

If you figure how long it is from midnite to your usual surgery..I would ask if you could use same time window

Another issue is that when some of us get so dehydrated it is REALLY hard for them to start an IV or get blood samples!

I feel your pain!

Happy healing to all,
Kathy

Left TKR Oct 15, 2013
Right TKR Scheduled for Jan 2014 ?

Background:
Diagnosed bilateral bone on bone and OA knees Oct, 2012
Implanted intrathecal pain pump. 2008
4-6 additional herniated disks 2005- present
Replacement damaged neck disks (c3-c5) 2004

My story: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/1st-tkr-surgery-veteran-new-to-tkr.21772/

Well I rang the hospital this morning and was told that I definitely have to starve from midnight. The reason? In case I'm moved up the list. I wouldn't think there's much chance of that happening as I'm not going in till 11.00 but I'd better do as I'm told. Linda x

Arrrgghhh.. Yes unlikely seeing you won't even be at hospital...so rigid.

Here's another example of blind rigid ness... I called the dr (OS) office a week after surgery and said,
"How long do I have to keep the TED stocking on my nonsurgical leg"
Quick snap answer 6 weeks!
"No wait, the hospital ONLY put a stocking on the nonsurgical leg
Shouldn't it be on surgical leg... But I have very little swelling...
Can you ask dr pleas?"

Just a minute

6 weeks on surgical leg

" but it hasn't been on it at ALL!"

CLICK! Goes the phone connection!

Amazing medical care in USA! : sigh! :

Happy healing to all,
Kathy

Left TKR Oct 15, 2013

Background:

My story: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/1st-tkr-surgery-veteran-new-to-tkr.21772/

Well I was on my way to surgery within 30 minutes of arrival - so you can never tell

I'd eat an extra meal at about 11.30pm such as porridge

Best person to ask if is the anesthesiologist. My surgery was at 7 AM, my cut off to eat was midnight.
The people I know who did ask, were allowed to eat up to 8 hours before surgery.
I drank a protein drink at 11:30 PM, to keep from being hungry in the morning, it helped.:SUNsmile:

Nw that sounds reasonable. But of course you need anesthesiologist ok...
Try to reach them instead of Preop nurses....

Good luck! Sending healing, successful thoughts

To starve or not to starve?

(Flowers for you from our summer trip to Ireland)

Happy healing to all,
Kathy

Left TKR Oct 15, 2013

Background:

Good Luck with the surgrey. Being hunger or wish you could eat is normal as you know. You will be ok. I ate a small meal before midnight. Keep us posted. tashia

There's been a lot of discussion in medical journals over the last few years about unnecessary and prolonged fasting and the adverse effects it can have on the patient. As a result, most informed units now only require patients to fast for about 6 hours. When I went in for my knee (and scopes) I was on afternoon sessions every time therefore booking in at midday for a list starting at 2pm. Each time I was told I could have a light breakfast of tea and toast at 7.30am and as much water or similar drinks as I wanted up until 10am.

The reason for this is that we know the stomach empties of solid food within about 6 hours and of fluids in about 4 hours. I really thought the archaic practice of making patients starve from midnight until a possible 5pm surgery time was long since abandoned! Apparently not! :doh:

I want to page a person that have some good thoughts on this. Her name is Poppet. I know she can help you. Tashia

When we receive anesthesia for our surgery we naturally become very relaxed and sleepy. When we are this sleepy, the muscles of the stomach and throat which normally stop food from coming up into the throat, and then going down into the windpipe or trachea, and then into the lungs, are also relaxed. If the stomach is therefore empty, the risk of anything coming up from the stomach and getting into the lungs is extremely low. Anesthesia is therefore much safer!

Any liquid that you cannot see through, such as orange juice or milk, empties from the stomach slower, and should be treated as a "light meal" in terms of fasting. Clear liquids are any type of liquids that, when poured into a clear glass, would allow you to see through them. Some examples are water, electrolyte solutions, apple juice. Surviving without food also depends on how fast a person burns food. I would have a light snack before your cut off time.

However, going without water is a different story. We constantly lose water through sweat, urine, breathing even stress and anxiety... The most likely cause of your headache with your previous surgery was dehydration.. I can't remember off the top of my head (no pun intended:)) but the transference times of glycogen loaded fluid crossing the blood brain barrier is frequent, very frequent.. (Note to self, to look up) so definitely keep the fluids going as instructed.

I don't have to be at hospital until noon, and was told only a light breakfast before 7a.m.

Tibs, every anesthetist and hospital has a different protocol, you will be ok :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom