TKR Through the Black Hole

@Bobbyk
Stiffness and swelling are normal after doing too much. You may not feel the short walk was too much, but combined with recently stopping naproxene, your knee reacted.
Slow down and start using ice and elevation for the stiffness and swelling, it may help.

My knee is stiff most mornings now. When it's stiff I limp; I can loosen the knee up by static flexion; bending the knee and leaving it there for minutes rather than seconds.
Is my stiff knee a symptom that something is wrong? I'm 11 weeks out and concerned about adhesions.
I've extended my ROM a couple of degrees in the last couple of days to 92.

Bad news after a very stiff and swollen knee Dr arranged a blood test orthapedic coordinator at the hospital rang for me to have appointment with GP ASAP as white blood cells ok but CRP levels elevated.

Needless to say I'm worried. Knee very stiff. Doesn't seem to be improving much after rest of 4 days.

Any advice please.

I'll follow your thread. Hope everything works out just fine with the new tests. Sending good thoughts.

An elevated CRP level can indicate infection but it may just as easily indicate excessive swelling and inflammation. So don't panic until you've seen the doctor. He may want to do some additional tests such as a nuclear bone scan and if there are any signs in that, progress on to aspirate some fluid from your knee and send that to the lab for analysis. You really won't know for sure until then because neither of the first two give definitive results right off. And if the surgeon says it does, then he's guessing!

Hello. After consultation with my GP I was told to go to hospital.The GP I saw didn't think it was an infection.He rang orthapedics and they wanted to see me pronto.Hospital is an hour and a half away.
When there I had an xray and blood test.My blood test tested D-Dimmer which was high 5000.Then the head of orthapedics examined me with two other Drs examined and aspirated my knee; the fluid was clear and the white cell count was normal;there was no infection detected in the knee fluid.
The culture from knee fluid results will take a few days.
Today, I have an ultrasound which will detect if there's a clot.
I'm hoping it is rather than an infection.
I feel so privileged to receive this wonderful care for free from our free embattled health system.
I also was given blood thinners.
Anyway, thanks for the responses everyone.

Dear Benay thanks for your good wishes.You are kind.

Well I'm relieved that it's a blood clot rather than an infection.
I am still in hospital as the clot is so large.I will be on a blood thinner for about nine months.
Wheww.

Hey mate,

Just caught up on this thread, how are you doing now ?

Our medical systems must be similar, a lot of people don't like it but at least it is there whether you are a millionaire or penniless.

Shaughan yeah I'm thankful for the nz/aus systems.I lived in Aus for a long time was hospitalised with arthritis of the same knee at Royal Prince Alfred in Sydney; it was like a hotel.I'm doing better now because I have been diagnosed and it isn't an infection.
I'm a bit grumpy because they still want me here for observation and I'm not a communal kind of guy;like my privacy miss pots of tea and fish and chips- my own house. However i see the sense in caution.
Winemama the
older I get and the more confused I become when pondering a quantum world the more i realize that thought and vibration especially in mantra has profound effects on our mind.
We all need some luck and some good thoughts. Thanks.

Sending you all those and more. Here's to fabulous NZ fish n chips! Get well soon.

@Bobbyk Forgot to add, I've, so far, never felt my new knee is alien, in any way at all. And I'm glad about that, feel he is more of a friend that will serve me well. Glad your problem wasn't an infection!

Last edited:
Benay, mine is hopefully a friendly alien.We're getting to know each other.Clicking.:mooncat:

I am so glad your blood clot was diagnosed before it cause any major problems. You are in the best place! Thoughts and prayers are with you.

Thanks Sister S.
I've been prescribed an anti coagulant called rivaroxaban.
Feel lucky and blessed for the care and good wishes.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Becky56
Recent bookmarks
Back