THR Tendonitis issues post THR

mcgowan314

Country
United States United States
hi everyone. I am 41 and just underwent my first hip replacement nearly two weeks ago. It was an anterior approach.

Upon discharge I was not given any restrictions and the surgeon said walking on it will be the best PT. I have been using two crutches for the most part, but have already progressed to one crutch for many parts of the day. I also have stopped pain meds other than Tylenol.

Yesterday and today when I attempted to take a few steps unassisted I felt pain in the joint and around the buttocks. I assume this is normal correct? I don't want to push to much, but I also want to be balanced in the correct amount of progress I push. Where were most at week two when using an anterior approach? I would like to have a comparison. Thanks.

Mcgowan314,
Welcome to Bonesmart, glad you joined us.

Your OS is right, walking is all hips need. Suspect you tried to walk without your crutches too soon.
Others will be along with their experiences with an anterior approach.

Please add your surgery date to your signature, hover over your username, top right, click on signature, add your information there, Thanks!

Here is your copy of the post op articles, they are short and will not take long to read.

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock as prescribed
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Keep in mind everyone is different. Age and overall fitness come into play as well. I'm a little younger than you and by my 2.5 week check up I was walking un-aided. I did bring my cane with me in the car so I could pull the door shut with the crook of it (I'm short and wanted to avoid twisting).

I did the walker in the hospital, cane at home for a little while (especially for stairs), then found I had tottered off into the kitchen without my cane and was like "well, guess that's how it's going to be now." I did take my time and walk slow without the cane to ensure I was walking correctly.

Walking the dog really helped get me out of the house and moving.

Listen to your body, if you hurt, slow down, take some pain killers and rest.

I am exactly two weeks post op today. I have been using a single can since 7 or 8 days post op. I switched to Tylenol only day 12. I am going back to my office job tomorrow. I drove the car the three miles to my daughters house today to make sure I could. Everyone heals at a different pace and a day or two can make all the difference in the world this early in the recovery roller coaster ride.
My doctors instructions were if it hurts don't do it otherwise no restrictions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi @mcgowan314!
I had the anterior approach with both hips and each hip was a totally different recovery. My second THR's recovery lagged behind the first one by about two weeks. The secret is to not overdo it or you can end up with all sorts of pain. Listen to your body and just back off the activity for a day or two. You're ONLY two weeks out, so pains here and there are quite normal. I remember suddenly getting mild groin pain after having had no pain for a couple of weeks, but it disappeared as fast as it came.

Hi @mcgowan314,
We had surgery on the same day. Mine was posterior so I have the 3 restrictions but otherwise I am doing well. I'm working off the pain meds and walking with my cane in the house.
It will be neat to read how your progress goes.

@mcgowan314
Are you icing several times a day and taking your pain meds on time? This early in your recovery it's important to manage your pain so you can become increasingly more mobile. Pumpkin left you some great articles to review. I found noticeable improvements at the end of three weeks, six weeks, sixty days and so much better at ninety days (although no two hips are alike). Sometimes it helps to journal each day so you can see your progress. However, keep in mind, the recovery is a marathon and not a sprint and you will see two steps forward and one step back. Don't get too discouraged when you take that temporary one step back.
Hugs!
A fellow worrywart! :)

New here too. Right THR on July 12, 2016.
I am at week two today. I will follow along with you for comparison notes, and cheer you on! This website seems to be just the thing for sympathetic ears, lots of good information and voices of those who have been there, or finding those who are at the same stage as yourself.

Like you, I have found occasional pains from standing on the new hip, but it seems to work itself out if I begin walking on it. I think you're right that it's the soft tissues and muscles that are complaining, and rightfully so. They have been through some trauma. Soft gentle walking, with my walker, crutches or cane, helps to unkink them and after a few back and forths on my deck, they unkink or loosen up a little.

My biggest concern is pain when I place full weight on the leg. It feels like joint pain, but the joint is now artificial. I suppose it is all the tendons and stuff angry at me.
Major trauma to muscles, tendons and soft tissues. Icing and elevating will ease this internal swelling.
I also have stopped pain meds other than Tylenol.
At only 2 weeks out you are already seeing the result of stopping your meds so early. That pain on weight bearing is post op pain and it needs to be managed. Use your prescribed pain meds until you forget to take doses. It's only temporary - but very important in the journey toward full mobility.

I have a history of lower back pain and post LTHR I did have increased discomfort. Your gait is different post op and you may be carrying your weight differently. This can aggravate any back issues.

I worked with a very experienced PT specifically on lower back. It took awhile but we did manage to resolve this. Good luck with your PT!

This site is great. So far very good responses.

I agree that coming off pain meds may have been too early. Just for full disclosure, I am a paramedic in a crime/drug infested inner city. That experience has me fearful of pain meds.

Also, I think my recovery may be a little different. This is actually my third surgery on this hip. Twice was for repair and reconstruction and the third was the replacement. Therefore, I have a lot of scar tissue complicating matters.

I am down to one crunchy today and will transition to a cane be week's end. I walk every day at least 1200 steps, which I guess is about 1/3 of a mile. I have driven a few times as well, albeit while not in pain meds.

My hip was crunchy, too. :) (Past tense there... YAY!)

Back from my post-op two week checkup. I graduated to the cane, and stomach sleeping if tolerated, Aleve for pain control (one twice a day opposite the aspirin for blood thinning) but since it's my right leg, two more weeks of no driving. :( He said keep going for walks as tolerated, working up to a mile in a few more weeks. I can handle that. :) No formal PT needed. The stiffness will resolve itself as I continue to go.

Anybody know how to get rid of the bandage boogers left behind? The incision is healing nicely, but it looks gross all around it. :)

Happy to report I transitioned to a cane today. Tomorrow marks my two week mark from surgery.

Still have some achyness with the muscles and tendons, but all to be expected. No swelling though, haven't for a while.

I have been averaging .5 miles a day, although I suspect I may need to scale back today and tomorrow as I get used to the cane. I go back to surgeon next Tueaday for staples to be removed...I will keep everyone updated.

Congratulations!!!! I'm still confused and didn't note your surgical date when I read your post and I'm on my phone so I can't maneuver The forum quite well.
When was your surgical date and how long did it take you to be able to walk with a cane again or you on any painkillers previously or During.

Keeping you in my prayers. God bless you

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

I suffer from low back issues as well in fact my low back is my primary pain since 1997 the hip Cain just about 5 years back, maybe more.

I was given this hopeful news by my PT. he said that he seen many people with back problems who had several surgeries event and then adding a replacement and found their back problem is resolved. This gave me great great hope as I worried THR it's just the first of two nest to necessary surgeries or even three and I would preferred just the one. Well I do need one more that is necessary after this but it's not a replacement surgery

Get well and feel free to contact me if you want to talk about back pain sorry this is sounds kind of weird but I'm on my phone and the microphone is very stupid

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

You can use Witch Hazel to get the bandage stuff off. You could also use alcohol, but be careful there!!

Lizzicat. My surgery date was July 15. I had an anterior approach. It was mostly routine, although this was my third surgery in this hip so the surgeon had to navigate through a lot of scar tissue; the two previous surgeries were repairs.

I went to one crutch a couple of days ago, and then went to a cane today, which is day 14 from surgery. I try to walk about 1500 steps a day, or just shy of a half mile.

I went home on low dose pain killers (tramadol). It was my request to stay away from stronger narcotics for several reasons, one of which most make me feel nauseous....and I rather be in pain than nauseous. I have mostly abandoned the pain killers and resort to Tylenol twice a day. It knock down about 80% of the pain. However, today I am more sore from it being my first cane day. I suspect I may have to get some aid from a pain killer this evening.

Most on my pain is along the thigh where the prosthesis was attached...that is a burning and shape pain. I have a dull pain around by back side, pretty much under the bottom the pelvis. Nurse said that was from tendons/muscles flairing. They gave me flexerol if that pain is intolerable, but I haven't had to take any of those yet.

I hope the above info helps.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Duffyboy
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back