TKR SusaninChicago's TKR recovery

Yes, it depends on your work/ work duties rather or not you can gradually move into full activity or have to DIVE in! Some doctors can write letter of return with restrictions like 'limited standing' or need of a cane temporarily etc.

Indeed all must be explored on a case by case basis. I think we underestimate to energy required to be fully 'ON' in the work setting.

@Seatides the most difficult part of this listening to our bodies "whisper" to us is that with our multiple life roles we have had to ignore our bodies and go out to be human "doings" instead of human "beings" I'm growing into being as I age....but this recovery has taught me so much about how I have a temperament that is constantly striving...for something.

Now, if we were in Outer Siberia and needed to be in that mode to survive, that is a different thing! (Though with 5 straight days of snow I feel like I am in Siberia!) Unfortunately, that is not the case... I am still tipping the balance in this recovery, I came out of my 2 month stall, only to have another flare-up because I was feeling so much better.... It was walking on an icy riverside pathway with coworkers then thinking I needed to push my recumbent bike time up to 30 minutes....Yes, in the same day, with all my other ADLs at work and home. Even at 4.5 months I'm not even 1/2 way into the recovery!! :thud: I'm not sure how long it's going to take me to learn this balance!!

You are not alone in this listening to the whispers...maybe I need special hearing aides!? :heehee:

I'm still focusing on the word Joy for the year and some of my readings have settled me down some, it just needs to be a greater awareness that I need to work on. Like, what am I feeling right now? Do I feel tension or stress that I think I need to alleviate by doing/eating/exercising/going? I guess it's a type of mindfulness that helps us learn to slow down and listen. I definitely need to work on this myself!!

Have a good weekend.

Thanks to everyone who responded with such good advice! I have been trying to curb my expectations and give myself more time to heal. I think because I have struggled with depression in the past and in those periods had great difficulty getting myself to get dressed, go to work and the like, staying at home doing nothing makes me feel very anxious.

Another bit of an update: over the weekend I stopped taking tylenol completely--and my nausea cleared up completely! I realize now that feeling on the verge of throwing up was really wearing me down. I am just take an Aleve twice a day. I have a bit more soreness in the knee but nothing I can't handle. I took a 20 minute walk (in 22 degree Chicago weather) and felt great.

Wow! Walking in that winter wonderland must have been intense! Glad your nausea is better. That should help everything improve!

I’m glad the nausea is better, and that you’re feeling ok without the Tylenol.
. I think because I have struggled with depression in the past and in those periods had great difficulty getting myself to get dressed, go to work and the like, staying at home doing nothing makes me feel very anxious.
In the times when you do need to rest your knee, try not to look at it as doing nothing, because you actually are doing something very important, you are giving your knee the best circumstance in which to heal. It is very important to have rest times in this recovery.

My new knee is now 5 weeks old! Today I saw my OS who did x-rays and confirmed that everything looks good. I don't have to see her for another year unless something comes up. She reminded me that there would be ups and downs and to be ready for them. The best news: I can now take a proper bath. Cause for celebration!

I am trying to settle in to a new routine of half days at work, MWFs. I went to work yesterday for 4 hours and then walked home (!!). It is a little less than a mile, but I was pleased. In fact, I had planned to take the bus but it was so cold standing at the bus stop that I decided to just walk it. Of course, I am tired today but nothing too overwhelming.

Six week check in since my TKR. I reached 130 ROM today in therapy! I am about 90% of normal now and am working almost full time (half at home, half at office). Got the go ahead to try my yoga class this week. I've been lucky with good surgeon, physical therapist, and quick recovery!

You're doing very well indeed.
Back at work so early and coping with it already!

You are one of the lucky ones who have a faster-than-normal recovery. I'm glad for you.

Do be careful, though, not to overdo things. Sometimes, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

I agree, you are recovering very quickly....but heed @Celle 's advice and be careful.

I felt great up until that 6 week return to work (part-time) My increase in daily activity including driving 35 minutes in one direction definitely gave me a long set back or flare up, I really had to slow down for about 3 months. I'm just now reducing the flare...

Thank you for the cautions! I know what you mean by the possibility of flare-ups--on Friday I walked over 10,000 steps (long story) and I've definitely been feeling it all weekend. None my knee though, instead my thigh is killing me. So, yes, slow and steady.

I hope someone can offer some insight. I am now in my 8th week and after an easy recovery to this point, I've suddenly developed a troublesome symptom. I have a persistent pain in the thigh of my surgical leg, in the outer area midway between my knee and hip joint. It doesn't feel like muscular pain and is definitely worse with walking.

Any ideas what could be causing it? Looking back it seemed to result from a rigorous PT session in which I used the machine that you lie down on and use both legs to push against a solid surface. Sorry, I have no idea what it is called.

I put in a call to my surgeon's assistant who said, come in and we will check it out, but offered me an appointment that is 2 months from now! I guess they don't think it is serious but it is worrisome to me, since I have a essentially been pain from for a couple of weeks.

I agree with @sistersinhim...my IT band really acted up for about the first 3.5 months. It was very painful!

Then about a month ago it just started behaving beautifully! I did use a foam roller and the massage people did some nice work on it regularly. I just don't have the pain anymore....really it is a miracle!! :angel:

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked symptoms on the web and I think my pain is a bit different. Higher up the thigh and not stinging. More like a deep ache.

Macknit— can you tell me about your pain? Where and what kind?

I've had the IT band flare up numerous time and it didn't sting, just ached and painful to touch. I found it hard to sleep on that side.

If it gets worse, keep bugging your doctor and insist being seen sooner.

Thanks so much. My pain too is a deep ache. What kind of foam roller did you use?

I have a numb, tingling, aching feeling along my IT band, left outer thigh , it was diagnosed as meralgia paresthetica. At times I experience “bee bites” , and other times nothing for long periods of time...

Back
Top Bottom