TKR Surgery date August 27, 2019

After my last posting, things started to look up :). Now almost 6 weeks and feeling good. I have 130 degrees of flexion and 0 degrees for extension. I can almost flex as much as my other knee. Yoga will be so much easier. PT continues and is uncomfortable at times. We added weight today so I am more uncomfortable tonight. Thanks for the support!

We added weight today so I am more uncomfortable tonight.
Please, Janet, no weights! At this very early stage, using weights is very bad for your new knee. It needs to heal before you start anything like strength training.
Tell your therapist that you won't allow weights. You have th right to say what happens to you rinee, because it's your nee.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

I had my right knee replacement on 8/29 so I completely understand where you are coming from. I can’t tell you how many times my husband told me to “not overdo it “, and how many times I didn’t listen. Finally I did rest and ice my knee, and low and behold, my knee felt better. I’m not the type of person to “sit around doing nothing “, and to not overdo it has been a struggle, but I’m taking things slow and steady. My surgeon told me today that now I should begin to work on getting my strength back gradually over the next 6 weeks.

It still really early for you to be working on gaining strength. We suggest that you wait until 3-4 months before doing that. Your knee isn't even 6 weeks old yet and has tons of healing to do before stressing it with strengthening exercises. Your strength automatically returns as you use it more as you heal.

Thanks the good advice! I went for my 6 week checkup. I have 132 degrees of flexion and 0 extension. Doing great! THEN.....the PA came in and in the process of examining my knee and without prior warning, picked up my leg at the ankle, said relax and shook my leg!!!!!!! I yelped and he kind of chuckled and said he had to check the stability of the implant. :censored: Within an hour my leg blew up 1.5” with swelling and I could hardly bend it without pain. My regular PT was on vacation, so it wasn’t until 7 days that I learned what he did was not “normal” to check for stability. I thought I must be doing too much so back to the beginning of couch duty with my leg highly elevated and the ice regime. I added the localized cup of ice. The area on the outside of my knee that was swollen, tender, and had something snapping and moving around. I almost made an apt with the surgeon, but the swelling and pain are reducing after 8 days. I still have pain walking down stairs and whatever tendon is snapping and moving. It can be felt when I bend my knee. Anyone ever hear of this? My husband described it as “aggressive shaking”. I intend to not permit any PA to examine me in the future and at my next visit tell my surgeon about it. At the very least the PA should be “educated”. I would like to punch him in the face!!!! Cost me about 10 days of relapse after a great start to recovery.

I am so sorry about this PA’s technique. :console2:

Definitely tell your surgeon what happened. In the interest of being professional I will end my comment here.

I fully intend to tell my surgeon, in the interest of educating the PA, so he doesn’t hurt anyone else. what A Jerk

Here I am at two months! Once the knee settled down from the aggressive PA, took 10 days, my recovery once again improved everyday. I am back to “life” and enjoying short walks and short rides on my bike inside and outside. I am happy with my recovery, except for pain management. Currently I am prescribed Tramadol 50mg every 4-6 hrs prn. If I take two it does help, but Tramadol bothers my gut and I have loose bm’s 3-4 times in the mornings. I have a history of microscopic colitis, multiple duodenal ulcers and chronic IBS. Therefore NSAIDs are not really my friend, although I have been taking Celebrex on occasion thinking it will help. I have gone through multiple tubes of diclofenac cream, which is great stuff. I get a Rx for 7 days supply of pills.
my question is this. What might be considered the “average” length of pain medication use And what meds?. Getting the pain meds from my surgeon is not the smoothest procedure. It feels like they are trying to make it difficult on purpose. The person doing the refills has lied about things like the Rx was actually called in. The last time it was sent to a different pharmacy. What the person doesn’t seem to realize is that I use the online apps for both drug stores so I can see instantly if the med has been called in and I get a text message when it has been filled. The biggest complaint I have with my surgeon is his pain management protocols and procedures. I plan to talk with him about it on my next visit in two weeks. Not so much for me, but in general. I am feeling like less of a human being because I have pain. Really not my fault there is an “Opiod crisis” in our country, but it sure feels like this group believes it is my fault. So, my question is this:
Should I continue with my surgeon for pain management or tell him I am going to my primary care doctor for pain management? I am wishing I had used my PCP from the start for pain management because it sure seems like my surgeon has no desire to deal with the resultant pain from his beautiful work. I am doing much more, like yesterday I helped with my grandson’s preschool Halloween party doing games. Taught 3 year olds Duck Duck Goose for an hour, then had my grandson for the afternoon. We took a walk and then rode bikes. Logged 10,000 steps on my Fitbit. Today I am quite sore, but I probably deserve it. I do ice and elevate morning and night every day.

Last edited:
What might be considered the “average” length of pain medication use And what meds?.
Unfortunately there is no answer to this question. Every recovery is different and everyone reacts differently to pain medication. The key is to find what works best for you and control the pain so that you can increase your mobility.
Should I continue with my surgeon for pain management or tell him I am going to my primary care doctor for pain management?
I am not in the US but here in the UK we are typically discharged into the care of our GP. If I were in your shoes I would go to your PCP. No need to tell your surgeon. You need someone you can work with on this.

Thank-you for your reply. Makes more sense to work with my primary doctor who knows me quite well.

• Agree
Reactions: Suz
Hello! Question to the group. Is it ok to cross my legs?

In hope so! My surgery was one day before yours and I have been crossing me legs for some time now, but not for long stretches of time.

I'm confused a bit. How can you log 10,000 steps, help with a party, take a walk, ride bikes and still need pain killers? Do you need them in order to accomplish that much? Are you delaying recovery if this is the case? I'm in my 15th week and definitely can't accomplish what you can daily. Am I denying myself a full life because Tylenol is my only medication? I'm trying to understand your post but for me 1+1 isn't equating 2. I'm frankly jealous.

I can’t even go to Macdonalds and home without swelling. And iam. 3 months

@Janet794 getting pain medications right now in the US is quite the carnival...sigh.
I believe most of the OS offices have issued statements of new policies, due to the opioid crisis. We all have had to endure the weekly request for refills. Every person has different reasons to stop earlier (as in my case returning to work and driving.) I don't believe there is an average time that people stop. Part of it really is the doctor you work with. Good luck with using your GP for pain management.

I've read that some individuals in this forum have taken the medications for years as their knee pain was truly disabling and there wasn't a plan for surgery at first!

@judgar, I do think that painkillers do allow for more activity, which is also why our wonderful advisors tell us not to use any before PT, because of masking the pain that leads to more swelling and inflammation. I would be more comfortable if I was on painkillers still. Unfortunately, though, I don't believe my current job would appreciate it. :no-fin:

Uh, oh! Lots of questions, and honestly not feeling the love.. Before surgery I was a very busy person and quite flexible, years of Yoga. My reasons for having my knee replacement included getting back to play badminton, more ease in getting in and out of my kayak, and to be able to bike our usual 20-25 miles for fun without the pain and inflexibility. I would probably say, not the “norm” despite the knee pain. My GP put me on Mobic, which does seem to help, but my current plan is to stop taking anything except Tylenol and topical Diclofenac gel. I still ice and elevate (above my heart), twice a day. My PT had advised against crossing my legs without checking with my surgeon. I see him tomorrow and have more questions about how far to push my new knee. I probably should slow down and I do have days where I have to stop and sit still for awhile, but then back to it! As I hear often and encourage anyone else to not compare. We all rehab and heal in our own ways And in our own time. :)

Last edited:
I'm confused a bit. How can you log 10,000 steps, help with a party, take a walk, ride bikes and still need pain killers? Do you need them in order to accomplish that much? Are you delaying recovery if this is the case?
I don'y know where this 10,000 steps idea came from, but it's nuts when talking about recovering from a knee replacement.
You don't need to try and do 10,000 steps. Just gradually increase the amount of walking you do, as your knee allows.

Thanks prior to surgery my daily goal using my Fitbit was 10,000 steps. I met that goal less and less sadly.

My husband is a retired Physical Education Professor for teacher education majors. He remains quite an athlete. I had no idea what “active” meant until I met him. He is also a former D-1 Collegiate Wrestling National Champion. He placed third in World competition and worked with our Olympic wrestling team. He also has coached wrestling at the College and still at the High School level.

We enjoy camping,hiking, biking, kayaking, and really anything outside. We have a lot of fun together. He supports me in all my interests of Quilting, embroidery, and all things crafty. He has a better eye for colors than me. He also supported all three of my careers. He has had both knees replaced. The first one the surgeon remarked after surgery that his bones had been marbleized. He had arthroscopic knee surgery twice for torn cartilage. Back in “the day”, he is 15 years older than me, they removed cartilage, not knowing the poor results. Also their tools have greatly improved.

I had surgery twice on my left knee when I was 18. Have no Kneecap, long story short, after a water skiing accident. I was bound and determined to perfect slalom skiing. :) I too loved all things active. I came off my son’s horse in my 40’s attempting to gallop, forgot the horse was a jumper and landed on my head, two neck surgeries later, I am really happy to be walking.

I have a motto, “you don’t get hurt sitting on the couch” every time I have gotten hurt. Broke my ankle while Geocaching stepping in a silly hole. Why have I gone on and on telling my tale? Because when I was “doing my research” I read a lot of stories. I read a lot of stories looking for someone Ike me that wants to stay extra active and loves adventure. There were very few and all men.

My Mom said to me after I married my hubby [HASH=58]#1,[/HASH] died at 41 widowing me and two children 4&6, I am, so happy you have finally found someone to play with. This hubby adopted my children and raised them as his own. Good guy. Ok, seems this rant Has gone on long enough.

One last comment though, anyone else looking at three months, keep going, first two weeks are agony, then each month brings a new benchmark. Keep your ”head in the game”, you will struggle with the boredom and will this ever get better, but it will. My knee still hurts, especially after busy days, but not as much as it did before. And now I am thinking........Rickett’s Glen State Park in the winter? Bucket list to see some of the Falls frozen. But, please if these aren’t your goals, it is ok. My Card Club laughs at me too. ;)

I think it is fantastic you can do all of those things. I think I see improvement each week. My dr. Released me. Told me to come back next august for a year check. Well you keep up the good work

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dcytpoti
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom