• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Starting to deciding on next step after 1st/right THR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Jim, I saw that my IF machine was brought up. It is similar in principle as a TENS, but it gives current at fluctuating levels and has a number of different settings (continuous, sporatic stop & go, pulsating, etc). The current penetrates much deeper than a TENS unit. IF stands for inferential stimulator. So, make sure you ask your therapist for the IF not the TENS. Some machines have both settings, and my experience has been that the TENS feels good at the time, but the benefit stops as soon as you turn it off. The IF seems to penetrate deep enough that I get lasting relief for a day or even more and I believe it has a lasting effect on muscle spasms and tightness. I have a home unit now that I was fortunate enough to get through my insurance, paid at 100%. I dealt with a sales rep named Rich Hauge at Empi. Do a google search for the company. Rich was wonderful to work with.

The only thing I have to offer about your other hip is that if you have groin pain in the area of the actual joint (it's buried very deep in the groin), sometimes an injection into the joint can be used as a diagnostic tool. In my case, I had the injection and the quick acting anesthetic numbed it considerably and the joint moved much easier and my groin pain was almost completely gone (well, until it wore off--it was like novacaine you get at the dentist). That was how I knew the groin pain was from the hip. I don't know how it would work with the butt pain you have, though. Referred pain is a little different. Another thing I think of is that perhaps you have SI joint or piriformis syndrome. Maybe ask your PT or MD about that.

Dorothy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
ScaredSilly2024
Recent bookmarks
Back