TKR Stairs - am I being a wimp?

Oak14

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi all,
Need some advice. Had TKR right in Feb 23 and have to confess I’ve never quite mastered the stairs since and rely on my left leg to do all the hard work. I’ve bought a little aerobic step to try and build up but find it hurts, especially coming down. Am I just being a wimp?
Any suggestions gratefully received. Facing a left THR in the near future so need to push myself to get back on the horse so to speak!

:welome:
Welcome to BoneSmart. You're absolutely NOT a wimp!!!
Please let us know the actual surgery date. We can match you with others in similar stages of recovery AND create a signature so all members see at a glance where you're at in recovery.

Surgery was 14.2.23… a valentines knee!

Oh I misread your date as being THIS year!

You might ask for a physio referral for "prehab" in advance of your hip surgery and focus on the exercises and skills you need.

Do you have stairs at home? It may be more practical to just practice on the first few stairs so the height and depth is just what you need, plus there's the hand rail.

Also when using the step ups we normally tend to err in focusing on speed and repetition, rather than slow form and structure.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member