Knee Infection* Stage Two Revision Completed

@Cementless is osteopenia something my OS would have seen when he went in to fo the revision? Or seen in x-rays prior? I hope so or I'm in trouble .

@Motherbone Too tired lol

And I still have one of the DEA agent's phone number in my phone . Ya never know when you'll need one. :snork:

@arizonaone, osteopenia is diagnosed using a dexa bone density study. Sometimes it is seen on regular x-rays if it is bad. My original OS said if my bones looked bad when he went to do the LTKR, he would have to use some bone cement anyway. He said my bones looked good, so he DID NOT use any bone cement since it showed I was "mildly allergic to the bone cement monomer". Big mistake on his part and mine.....should have gone with the bone cement! I also became allergic to Cobalt. So many factors played into the loosening of my implant.

@Cementless I hope my Dr made the right decision. I feel the implant moving in my shin and it's really uncomfortable.

He never ordered a dexa bone density but maybe he didn't think he had to .

Time will tell.

@arizonaone, neither of my OS suggested a dexa bone density. I had my internist order them prior because I knew I had osteopenia in the past. Prior to my revision, my left femur showed it was getting close to osteoporosis. I have been taking extra Vit D3 and Calcium to increase bone. Do you know your Vit D3 level? If not, I suggest you have your internist order it. I always felt my implant moving in my shin....very uncomfortable. Not so with my revision....it is night and day!!! I'd be curious about your OS reasoning for not using the cement in the tibial portion.

@Cementless. My OS’ reasoning for not using cement was because if I have an infection in the future it will be easier to remove the implant instead of picking out pieces of cement. He also told me he gets much better results this way and that the implant will last a lifetime.

He never discussed this with me before the revision and I never thought to ask. I would have no reason to. I hope he knows what he’s doing.

Wishing you well with the revision. If it helps to know, both my tkrs are cementless and so far so good.

Wondering if anyone who has taken Lyrica can answer a question.

Is it a medication that one has to be weaned off of? I can't call the Dr who prescribed it because he's no longer my Dr ( my first pain MGMT Dr) . I have about 8 days( taking 75 mg twice a day) left from the initial prescription with no refills .

I called my drugstore but getting through to the store pharmacy had been impossible . As usual I was on hold forever and eventually hung up .

I went online and found conflicting information. Some sites said you do and others said you don't have to .

When I was on Gabipentin in the past I never did and I believe it's the same type of drug as Lyrica.

Does anyone have personal experience with this? The last thing I want to go through again is withdrawal from a drug.

@arizonaone :wave:
How are you doing? I’ve been wondering about you and couldn’t find your thread because I couldn’t remember your exact user name (I’m sorry!)

Anyway I was excited to see a post of yours yesterday.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks