Softball at 4½ Months

Status
Not open for further replies.

MurrayW

I had Makoplasty on my right knee Dec 7th, 2010. The first 2 months of my recovery I felt like I was making good progress and had gotten to around 115 degrees flexion. Then the next 2 1/2 months I gained nothing. My knee got better in that it was less stiff and the pain did not start until I approached 110 degrees of flexion where at the end of the 2 month period it would feel stiff a lot of the time and would begin to feel painful once I went much beyond 90 degrees. The swelling has gone down slightly in the back of my knee but not much.

Anyway, I had told myself that I would wait until I could get 120-125 flexion without pain before I tried to play softball again. I play competitive softball and this is something that I really enjoy. Not being able to play at the level I wanted to was the main reason I had my knee replacement. After watching my team play for several tournaments, I couldn't take it any longer and decided that since my knee hadn't made much progress the last 2 1/2 months, I may be waiting forever before trying to get back on the softball field. So Saturday April 16th I played in 2 of our 4 games that day. I was the DH so I didn't have to play the field, just hit.

I batted 6 times so I had to run to first 6 times. I wouldn't really call it running, more like a slow jog. We can have pinch runners, so the 3 times I got on I had one of my teammates run for me. My knee felt like it was 3x bigger than it was supposed to be while I was running and didn't feel real good jogging down to first. But it did feel better than the sharp bone-on-bone pain I experienced all last year. My knee was more sore the next few days, but not too bad. This Saturday, April 23rd I took batting practice and took about 80 swings. Today my knee feels pretty good, so I guess I will keep trying to play.

So I know I may be delaying my full recovery by doing this, but at least I get to do something I really enjoy doing.

Murray

Re: Softball at 4 1/2 Months

Wow... Softball. And people think I'M ambitious! My biggest single complaint is the swelling that my doc keeps telling me is normal (my head says otherwise!). Be careful, but keep up the good job!

I concur with your caution, Robert. But good for you, Murray. What's the point if you can't do what you want to do?

Getting a taste of the things we love sometimes gives us the hope we need to move forward with more confidence. Well done, and I know your knee will caution you as needed if you overdo.

I too am having more knee limitations than I'd like at my stage (5+ months) but I'm telling myself that it'll be slow progress until my anniversary. A friend who had TKA many many years ago said her knee got better for years.

Excellent report Murray! Glad you were able to play a sport you are passoniate about. Way to go!!:biggrin:

Congratulations Murray!
This is what it is all about!
Your knee will let you know if it diesn't like what you are doing. I was back in the woods by 5 months, but really had to pick my trails carefully. Gradually, the knee adapted and I can hike anywhere. Will return to rock climbing this summer, and already took my new knee ice climbing. Now we are gardening and crawling around the (muddy) yard.
Keep on truckin'
Sandy

I think the point I wanted to get across is not that I am doing amazingly well, but that if you wait until your knee is "perfect" you may be waiting an awful long time!

Murray I watch for your posts! thanks for the update!
I see my OS on May11th re my right knee and one of the things on the table might be Makoplasty.
I'm glad you can do things you enjoy! I am feeling the same way after my TKR

Not only are you doing what you want to do, but with recovery, pushing it some helps you get there faster, I believe. I have found that pushing and then making sure I recover results in more progress than not pushing. Not to say you don't need to be careful, but sometimes I think we are too careful. I need to learn to trust the knees now - when I do they support me and the flex gains. If it results in inflamation and exhaustion, then treat and recover. When you start over - you start from an improved position. Inspired by the ways to measure ROM thread I found a mitre box that had a removable angle measuring arm. I marked the anatomical points and took careful measurements: 135 AND 140! Four month aniversary is tommorow. After a week of pushing it some, and not getting much swelling, I am taking a week of recovery because I can tell the muscles are exhausted and need to rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Hyde
Recent bookmarks