• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

So-called preventive use of antibiotics after hip replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
@FraidyCat I have had both knees and both hips replaced in the matter of less than three years. I went against my doctors wishes and have had several crowns, a root canal an many cleanings since my joint replacements. NO ANTIBIOTICS.

The only thing I did do was wait 6 months after each surgery before I went to have dental work done. I also had any work done that I had put off completed prior to my surgeries so I would not have to worry about going to the dentist for at least 6 months after surgery.

I was also very concerned about my doctor telling me to do the antibiotic treatments prior to each dental visit. I did my homework and decided that the antibiotic protocol was out dated and not current information.

If I can have had all the dental work I have had done since my surgeries and never had a problem using no antibiotics... I can say that you should just go ahead and have that surgery and do not worry about using antibiotics.

I wanted to add that I also had a colonoscopy just 4 days prior to my Left hip replacement July 2014... they required that I have one done since I was anemic in my blood work. No one asked or gave me any antibiotics. I am just fine now almost a year out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science and medicine reward people who have a deep conviction that they have finally understood how the world works, or at least a small part of the world. But even the deepest insight and understanding can't accurately predict what is going to happen in every case. There are always going to be small but significant pieces of information we do not know about.

There will always be a risk of infection in my new hip, no matter how careful I am and which was I decide to jump in the prophylactic antibiotic argument. A least if I take antibiotics (responsibly), I won't end up attempting to kick myself (with one leg)! In addition to the prevailing wisdom of the experts, I have to factor in my personal tendency to blame myself relentlessly for past failings large and small.

It's a complicated decision.

This piece by a dentist, despite being several years old (2012), still seems relevant to the "new guidelines" that are often cited on this topic:
"Meet the new guidelines. Same as the old guidelines." At
https://thebloggingdentist.com/?p=211

It is a complicated decision and one only the patient can make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Susie-Q
    Staff member since February2, 2022

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rkelley