sleep positions

Status
Not open for further replies.

janni

any one have advice on positioning while sleeping. Can i use a pillow under leg or feet? almost 6 weeks post op.:rolleyespink::rolleyespink:

Hi Janni and welcome to BoneSmart! Sleeping is one of the tough issues with this recovery but I will tell you what helped me, sleeping on my side with a pillow in between my legs this was most comfy. They tell you when you are on your back not to put a pillow under your knee because this could cause it to bed and you could have issues with extension.

good luck and I hope you get comfy enough soon for a good night's rest!

Re: comfortable sleep positions

HI Janni, you can place a pillow under your whole leg from your hip to your ankle, but not just under your knee. You don't want to elevate your leg with a bent knee, that could lead to extension problems. I slept on my side with a pillow between my legs. That helped me get a little more comfortable.

Welcome, janni.....if you could, please create a signature that has your surgery date (and any other information you would like to include) that will appear at the bottom of every post. Here are instructions - it's very easy to do and will help us know exactly how far out from surgery you are when we respond to your posts.

It's actually a great idea to sleep with your leg elevated following a TKR. I did for months...complete with ice packs that I replaced once during the night. Just be sure you don't put a pillow only under your knee joint. Instead support the whole leg or put it under your foot. Here is a thread on elevation from our BoneSmart Library. And while you're reading in the Library....check out some of the other threads. There is a TON of information there that will help you!

And Janni.....you had two threads in the knee recovery forum on this same subject, so I have merged them together here. I hope you don't mind.

Hi Janni
I am finding that lack of a good nights sleep is probably the thing I am finding most difficult.....I am nearly 8 weeks post op on my left knee and everything is taking soooooo much longer to heal than when I had my right knee replaced. I worry so much about lack of sleep, how will I cope when I return to work? The worrying is probably as much to blame for my restless nights than the difficulty in getting comfortable.....The advice about pillows under your leg is sound, it does work but only if you are not tossing and turning because you are worrying about stuff:rolleyespink: Another good piece of advice I picked up on this site is nap whenever you can and don't worry it all gets better in the end.....Now, all I need to do is heed that advice myself ( its 3.30am in England and I am writing this to you:sigh:)
Good luck and take it easy

Carol xx

Hi Janni,

I, too, found that sleeping on my side with a pillow between my knees brought me great relief and improved sleep. I bought 2 cheap pillows at Target and found they held up very well. In fact, I used them this past week for my most recent knee surgery.

I am a stomach sleeper. If I recall I think I was about 12 weeks out before I could do that without waking myself up.

I sleep in my recliner couch with a wedge cushion under both legs. I can have a really tight, stiff calf and thigh, but a night on the wedge and it's flabby and loose in the morning. Gives me a headstart on my PT :dancy:

I used a body pillow, I draped my whole leg along the pillow lying on my side. I am a side sleeper. It helped a lot. I also took some herbal sleep pills, Sleep MD. They helped me a lot.

Not sleeping is unfortunately a common problem with knee replacement surgery surgery though, but it will end eventually, honestly. Trouble is lack of sleep makes you miserable, snappy and is of course is exhausting. Think of it as something to look forward to and try to find other Bone Smartied online to chat to.

Sleep well tonight :sleep:

I slept (or at least tried to sleep) in a recliner with my leg elevated. Sleep issues are quite normal after a TKR, and I had my share of them. I moved to the bed to feel more "normal" and I could not get comfortable at all. I tried pillows, I tried sleeping in different beds; I tried everything. I would imagine where you are now in recovery that the pillows would work best for you--you are getting some very sound advice.

Nap when you can; these sleep issues can be really frustrating, but they will all get resolved. I ironically found Bonesmart during one of my nocturnal wanderings around the house---I ended up at the computer and found this wonderful site!

I liked the missionary position: every night pray you could get some sleep.

Seriously, I seemed to do best on my side hugging a long body pillow with my operated knee on top of the pillow. Also, vicoden and ambien used liberally.

For many weeks I shoved a pillow under the covers down to the foot of the bed to relieve the pressure on my feet so that I could roll over easier and this helped tremendously along with the other suggestions of using a pillow. I am about 14 weeks out and don't think I've had a full night sleep yet but it is better and less painful now. Good luck and let us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Helpmyknee21
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back