TKR Shin pain 4 years in

karenat

Anyone have any ideas about my shin pain? It’s coming up for 4 years after my R TKR and all of a sudden I have terrible shin pain in the upper third of my shin. It aches terribly at night and has done so on and off for about a month. Both of my knees have been replaced and I’m very happy with them other than this new occurrence.

Should I be worried about this? What could it be?

Perhaps it’s not even related but...... it could be, right?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Am I over reacting?

I had similar pains, but within the first 2 months. In the UK. They are known as shin splints, and they can be painful.

I talked to my PT, who very quickly realised my gait was the problem. On my new knee, I had developed a bad habit where on each step, I wasn't putting my heel on the floor first and rolling onto my foot. I was initially taking my weight on the front of my foot, causing strain in the muscles in the front of the shin.

I corrected that, and the pain disappeared in 2 or 3 days.

I agree with Tykey that it's probably shin splints.

Hello @karenat - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your knee replacement and which knee it is, so we can make a signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

Cutting back your activity should help, if this pain is caused by shin splints, but If the pain doesn't settle soon, I think you should let your surgeon know. It may need further investigation.

Thank you @Celle
R TKR January 2016 - this is the side I am experiencing the pain.
L TKR November 2016.

I somehow gave myself a doozy of a case of shin splints a few weeks back. I think from bad form doing yard work. In any case it took several weeks to get better & I still get an occasional twinge.
Basically I had to just ice and rest it. Minimize walking, stairs and so forth. Nothing to do with the tkr.

If it doesn't start to improve with ice and rest, check it out with your doctor or doctor's PA.

Thank you That’s comforting. I don’t know why I didn’t think about ice! ‍♀️ I suppose I’ve just been so pain free for so long now.

Not trying to scare you, but I developed shin pain on lower medial side of leg. I iced and tried some heat nothing helped. I developed a small red spot after a few days which quickly started hurting. After X-ray, then MRI it was diagnosed as stress fracture. Best bet is to let your doctor know what’s going on.

Thank you very much for letting me know this.
Can I ask......What did your Doctor do about it?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Denton1224
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom