September hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with the sooner the better. Let them know you'll take any cancellation at a moment's notice....assuming you can actually do that.

Sharon

OK...my appt with the OS is at 1300 today. Can you all help me with a list of questions I need to take to him? These are the ones I have come up with so far...
1. How many hip replacements do you do?
2. What should I expect pre-op? Post-op?
3. What about anesthesia? Post-op pain management?
4. What restrictions should I expect? How long? PT?
5. In-patient rehab or go straight home?
6. How long in hospital?
7. How long off work?
What can you think of that I really need to know that I have missed? Thanks

Will you be allowed to be fully weight-bearing from the start? If partial...for how long. That will have an impact on how much help you need at home or whether you should consider a rehab facility as a buffer zone.

I saw the OS today and felt very much reassured. He does 300+ THRs/year. He was easy to talk to and took plenty of time answering my questions. Said according to my X-rays I needed this done over 2 years ago. The hospital does a pre-op joint replacement class--hip classes are separate from knees. I already knew that the hospital is locally recommended for joint replacements. I have a pre-op appt on 8/28 and he said to bring more questions then. And, best of all, I have a date to plan on: Sept 5th unless there is a cancellation that i can take. He put me on a prednisone dose pack saying it should give me enough relief to get thru the next weeks. He also put me off work this weekend and said we will go from there if I need to be off till surgery. Then I went by work and my boss was very supportive--said they had already made contingency plans for me to be off this weekend and I do qualify for FMLA so my job is secure. Now I just have to figure out how to live 8-12 weeks without an income! I feel so much better just knowing that there is an end to this pain in sight.

Hi Annie, great news about getting a cancellation date. That time will go quickly :)

Also, very good news that your OS does so many THR's a year - very positive.

Good luck!

I had my pre-op class today and was very reassured. Was told I will be able to shower before I leave the hospital and that sleeping on my operative side is ok as soon as it is comfortable. I still have a question about the 90 degree rule...is this forever or will I eventually be able to bend over again?

Annie, fortunately the 90 degree rule is NOT forever--it's usually for about 6 weeks.

Just did 2 16+ hour shifts over the weekend and I can barely walk and there is just no such thing as getting into a comfortable position in the recliner or the bed. How am I going to make it through another weekend at work? And my mind is beginning to race worrying about all the possible but far-fetched things that can go wrong during and after the surgery. My pre-op appointment is on Tuesday and I need some reassurances that things will be ok--but docs don't seem to give that kind of reassurance. I'm a mess, emotionally and physically.

Annie, read your post #45 over and over. The doctor said if you needed to be off work again, he would help you. And Sept. 5 is practically on top of you. You can bring this up tomorrow at your pre-op appt. In the meantime, are you icing? That can help a lot with pain.

Things really will be okay. To paraphase Khalil Gibran....the deeper the pain cuts into you today, the deeper you can be filled with joy after surgery when that pain is gone.

On Sept. 5th, when you check into the hospital, the process will take over and take care of you. Just keep focusing on that.

Sharon

The pain you have after surgery will be quite different to this pain. If you manage it correctly, it can be controlled quite well and will diminish over a period of about 12 weeks. So fear not about work - this side of surgery bears no comparison to afterwards.

Annie, hang in there, not long now.. You will soon be without the bone on bone pain and we will be chatting with you on the post op side :)

Well, in about 12 hours, I should be riding a gurney into the OR to get this over with. I'm a nurse and have a pretty good idea of what to expect, but I am still scared...of the littlest things as well as the most unlikely, far fetched things. No sleep for me tonight for sure. I'm asking everyone to send out prayers/healing thoughts for me and I hope to post tomorrow evening.

Prayers and healing vibes all the way from Australia Annie :)

I feel awful...such nausea. Will post more tomorrow. You can move me to the post op hip area now--thaNks all for your support.

Congratulations on your shiny new hip Annie, so sorry you are nauseated, hope they are giving you something for that?

When you are feeling up to it, you can start your own thread on the post op side, that way you get to title it what you want.

Rest now, you are on the side of recovery :)

Hope by now the nausea has abated. Every day will bring less pain and more movement. Glad the worst is over.

Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Suby
Recent bookmarks
Back