TKR Second knee replacement

Carol68

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Good evening everyone
It is 12:57am in the UK. I am in Guys Hospital, day 2 post total knee replacement surgery.
My second time around and OMG how different this one is!
The last one was extremely painful, but I managed to get up walking with a frame, the very next day.
This one is very different. I cannot put my foot to the floor without being in excruciating pain.
It is so much worse and I am so disappointed.
I am so devastated that I have to keep asking for a bed pan.
It’s just so depressing.
The physio has had me out of the bed twice yesterday. Standing is ok but I cannot weight bear on my left leg.
I know two operations are not the same but I thought this one may be easier.
I know it’s going to take time.
The doctor now wants me to have a scan to rule out a blood clot. Only problem is it’s bank holiday weekend here and can’t be done until Tuesday
Feeling very frustrated and disappointed right now.

I’m so sorry that this replacement is so much harder. :console2: Keep up with telling the nurses how you feel. And I’m sorry you have to wait so long for that scan, it doesn’t seem right at all.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
If you want to use something to help heal the incision,
BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Just to confirm, your surgery was done Wednesday, March 27? :flwrysmile:

Good Morning

Thank you for your reply and fantastic advice.
I am now on day 10. Yes I had my surgery on Wednesday 27th March.
Things are much better regarding the pain.
I am able to control it with my painkillers, as long as I take them every 4 hours. I can feel them starting to wear off.
Walking is much easier now. Still painful but so much easier.
The pain in my calf has lessened and feels like it’s loosening up. Definitely not as tight.
Sleeping is still very difficult. I’m getting around 3-4 hours broken sleep. Which is worse. I’d rather have 4 hours uninterrupted sleep. It would make me feel like I’d actually gotten some sleep. At the moment I feel like I haven’t slept for weeks.
I know it takes time, as I have been here before.
Every day will get easier

Carol x

Hope everything does get easier soon. The lack of good sleep really is disheartening, isn’t it? I think the first good night’s sleep ranks right up there with the first real shower as one of the peak experiences of this whole lengthy and uncomfortable process. May both of those come soon for you (and for me, too, I had my procedure two days after you).
Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Insomnia is a real bummer for many of us in the initial weeks after knee surgery. Definitely sleep whenever (and wherever it's safe and comfy!)

Icing, elevating, napping.... All help, but you might also consider some nonprescription remedies....

If you're lactose tolerant, a glass of warm milk! If you're not diabetic, a teeny bit of honey makes it even more comforting... plus milk is high in magnesium! Helps us relax!

If you aren't a milk drinker, or want an easier way to, an evening magnesium supplement has been very helpful for some members.

OTC diphenhydramine, an antihistamine also used as a sleep aid (Benadryl) because it makes you drowsy; it's also included in some cold, flu, etc "nighttime" combination meds.

Low dose melatonin, sustained release - not for long term use but I have used for a week at a time without ill effect. It should be taken an hour to hour and a half before going to bed, and during that time stay in a dimly lit area to allow this hormone to activate.

Valerian root - an herbal remedy, it can be taken in capsule form but that dose might be high compared to my preference, herbal "sleep" blends that include a smaller dose of valerian and make me pleasantly drowsy. Plus the other tea flavorings make it nice tasting! Celestial Seasonings and Traditional Medicinals sell teabags by the box. Their sleep blends without valerian have never ever made me sleepy.

Be aware: even benign herbals and supplements can interact with your routine or post op prescription meds, either making their effects weaker or stronger. If you're on meds you may want to check with your doctor or pharmacist, or even check online for interactions.

Hi Carol and Welcome to recovery...for a second time! Glad things are improving in regard to pain.
As far as sleep goes-
Pillows certainly are my "go to" to help me get comfortable in bed, making it easier to drift off.
I hope your bed is made up with your most comfortable bedding / blankets along with a few extra bed pillows of different degrees of firmness and you are able to block out the light if it's daytime. Minimizing noise, not always easy, and listening to calming relaxation music, a fan, or white noise may help lull you to sleep. I find making sure the room temperature is not too hot or too cold definitely helps. I also try to disconnect from devices at least an hour before the targeted nap or bed time, so it's easier to wind down and I limit caffeine throughout the day, and have used some natural sleep aids such as Valerian, Chamomile or, Magnesium, my personal favorite, which can assist in muscle relaxation and nerves and promote healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium from our Library -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

Most large grocers carry a variety of teas such as Celestial Seasonings which you may find soothing to sip on - Sleepytime Herb Tea, Yogi Teas, Bedtime, Bigelow Cozy Chamomile, all of which may help you relax...at least worth a try.

Hope you're back to catching some restorative Z's real soon! :sleep: Thanks for the update and sharing your journey with all!
@Carol68

Hope everything does get easier soon. The lack of good sleep really is disheartening, isn’t it? I think the first good night’s sleep ranks right up there with the first real shower as one of the peak experiences of this whole lengthy and uncomfortable process. May both of those come soon for you (and for me, too, I had my procedure two days after you).
Wishing you a speedy recovery!
Thank you for your comments
How are you doing? xx

Insomnia is a real bummer for many of us in the initial weeks after knee surgery. Definitely sleep whenever (and wherever it's safe and comfy!)

Icing, elevating, napping.... All help, but you might also consider some nonprescription remedies....

If you're lactose tolerant, a glass of warm milk! If you're not diabetic, a teeny bit of honey makes it even more comforting... plus milk is high in magnesium! Helps us relax!

If you aren't a milk drinker, or want an easier way to, an evening magnesium supplement has been very helpful for some members.

OTC diphenhydramine, an antihistamine also used as a sleep aid (Benadryl) because it makes you drowsy; it's also included in some cold, flu, etc "nighttime" combination meds.

Low dose melatonin, sustained release - not for long term use but I have used for a week at a time without ill effect. It should be taken an hour to hour and a half before going to bed, and during that time stay in a dimly lit area to allow this hormone to activate.

Valerian root - an herbal remedy, it can be taken in capsule form but that dose might be high compared to my preference, herbal "sleep" blends that include a smaller dose of valerian and make me pleasantly drowsy. Plus the other tea flavorings make it nice tasting! Celestial Seasonings and Traditional Medicinals sell teabags by the box. Their sleep blends without valerian have never ever made me sleepy.

Be aware: even benign herbals and supplements can interact with your routine or post op prescription meds, either making their effects weaker or stronger. If you're on meds you may want to check with your doctor or pharmacist, or even check online for interactions.
Thank you for your great advice x

Hi Carol and Welcome to recovery...for a second time! Glad things are improving in regard to pain.
As far as sleep goes-
Pillows certainly are my "go to" to help me get comfortable in bed, making it easier to drift off.
I hope your bed is made up with your most comfortable bedding / blankets along with a few extra bed pillows of different degrees of firmness and you are able to block out the light if it's daytime. Minimizing noise, not always easy, and listening to calming relaxation music, a fan, or white noise may help lull you to sleep. I find making sure the room temperature is not too hot or too cold definitely helps. I also try to disconnect from devices at least an hour before the targeted nap or bed time, so it's easier to wind down and I limit caffeine throughout the day, and have used some natural sleep aids such as Valerian, Chamomile or, Magnesium, my personal favorite, which can assist in muscle relaxation and nerves and promote healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium from our Library -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

Most large grocers carry a variety of teas such as Celestial Seasonings which you may find soothing to sip on - Sleepytime Herb Tea, Yogi Teas, Bedtime, Bigelow Cozy Chamomile, all of which may help you relax...at least worth a try.

Hope you're back to catching some restorative Z's real soon! :sleep: Thanks for the update and sharing your journey with all!
@Carol68
Thank you Layla x

Hello, I’m doing well, slowly but surely feeling better. I hope the same is true for you. It’s so nice to be in touch with other folks who are slogging along down the same road. It makes the travel feel just a bit lighter. :walking:

Happy One Month Anniversary, Carol.
I hope the past couple of weeks have been decent and you're enjoying some steady progress.
Let us know when you have the time. We'd love to hear from you.
Enjoy the weekend! :)
@Carol68

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Suby
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom