THR Second hip in July!

Steelergal

Country
United States United States
I'm back! I've scheduled the surgery to have my left hip replaced this year. My right hip was replaced in July of 2015. Now that I know what it's like to have no pain, I'm excited to have my left hip fixed.

Any advice from those of you who have had both hips replaced would be appreciated! Thanks!

~Sara

@Steelergal I found the second one much easier. Each surgery is different but you know what to expect.

Ck out chuckster's thread on the recovery side, he's having a great second thr recovery.

Best advice is to take it very easy in the early weeks/mos even though it can get boring. I pushed the first hip too much and decided to mollycoddle the second one (no pt, lots of rest breaks, ice) and experienced no joint pain, just muscular aches from old limping patterns that resolved in a couple of mos.

The body knows how to heal, I just got out of its way :smile2:

I am also one day after you. I can't wait to get this over with, and start the recovery and regain my life .

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Good luck to all. New double hippies...yay!!!!

Well, it's done! I officially have a matching set! The doc said this one was easier than the last and I feel good so far. The numbness has worn off (I had an epidural, not general anesthesia), so there's some pain but it's manageable. I'll go home tomorrow and I'm ready to heal! Thanks for all the encouragement and support! Here's hoping the recovery is as good (or better) than last time!

So happy to know you are on your way to healing so you can have your life back.
Hope you were able to get comfortable enough to rest some.
Double Hippie, double happy for you!

I can't figure out how to move this to the post-op section. Can someone help?

It's day 2 post op and I'm feeling pretty sore. I don't remember being so sore last time but maybe I blocked it out. The incision site soreness is to be expected but my quad muscles are also super sore. Has anyone else experienced that? I think once that soreness goes away I'll feel much better. I'm trying to move around and keep thing from getting stiff and that seems to help. Here's hoping each day is better!

Mine were done together, but they were super super sore. Anterior approach? I think they move those quads out of the way so give them many few days to get over that trauma. Just little trips right now til they settle down.
Mine are still hypersensitive and almost 3 months out. BUT HIP PAIN GONE GONE GONE.

Posterior approach so I know they had to cut through a lot of muscles. I'm trying to remember that and remain patient with my body. I'm ready to be doing things for myself already!

@Steelergal I moved your thread for you.

I'll leave your recovery articles here for you to refer to if needed.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this:

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hope you are able to manage your pain and get some rest.
On Your way to getting your life back.
Ice all you can, healing thoughts going to you:ice:

Hi Steelergirl I just had my 1st thr 4 days ago and i too had a lot of quad pain. I self massaged for relief and while it is nearly gone it has been replaced with severe swelling down to my knee. No bruising yet. Best of luck in your recovery!

Thanks @Mojo333! I've had a couple of discouraging days but I am trying to keep my spirits up.

@leenie60 Congrats on your new hip! My quad pain is pretty much under control, now just dealing with incision pain...lots of ice! How are you feeling today? I'm trying to remember that that worst is behind me and things will continue to improve. I'm just so impatient! Hang in there...I'm sending good vibes to you!!!

I am feeling much better. The swelling hasn't gotten any worse but it isnt as tight today. Im still getting panicky at night out of frustration but im not losing sleep since there is lots of napping.

I do believe the worst is behind us and each day can only be better than the day before.

Keep smiling!

I had the left done in 2011 and the right in 2012. The second one was so much better because I knew what to expect. Good luck and well wishes!! Here's to joining the "bi"-onic crew

@Dee205 I've been a member of the bionic club since my LTKR in 12/2010 followed by lumbar fusion in 7/2012 then RTKR 12/2012. Sadly, my joint replacement journey has been long and steady.

This is going to your easiest quickest recovery yet leenie60.
But you are gonna set off every metal detector from here on out..lol.
You are an inspiration to those to show like you have said-we do what we've gotta do.
Hope you have a good week ahead!!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Becky56
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom