Bilateral TKR Russian Blue recovery journey

I’m at about 4 months now (BLTKR) and my right knee has a problem. The outside of the knee joint is tender to touch and it feels like my ITB & hamstrings are tight and painful at the back of the knee. My left knee is fine. I am walking and using an exercise bike. Has anyone else had this problem? If you did, what did you do about it? Is anyone using a foam roller? Is anyone doing massage? Has anyone used a percussive massager? Is this is just a stage in recovery or is it a thing that goes on for a while?
I did all of those things actually, and they all helped to varying degrees. Roller helped my sore IT band. My PT often massaged the whole side of my leg (sometimes with the use of a percussive massager, but not near the joint). With my own hands, I massaged that sore spot just above and behind the bump of the fibula (not sure if that actually helped. Sort of like rubbing a bump on your head). That pain spot and IT band soreness is one of my problems that has for the most part gone away, but I still do my thigh when I have the roller or massager out for other purposes.

they all helped to varying degrees
Thanks Rustic. So pleased to have a reply on this. I use a percussive massager. I'm never sure how much it helps but pt used and rec I get one. Not used foam roller yet, but pt showed me how to use a can under knee, extend leg, and move can back along thigh. On an Australian knee FB site, someone noted they had biceps femoris pain, and they used a small hard ball to target the painful spots behind knee and along hamstrings. She said it took 8 mths to come good.
Did you find any relationship between exercise bike and this discomfort, positive or negative?
Were there any stretches that helped?
Was there anything in your pre op knee health, or spine health that might have predicted or led to itb issue?
Did your OS suggest any treatment eg injections?

Please can my thread title go to "Russian Blue recovery journey". Thanks

Fat Pad Impingement, Hoffa's syndrome

On both knees, I have a mass of fatty tissue below the kneecap on the lateral side. It may be Hoffa's syndrome. I need to ask my pt and OS about it. Does anyone know about the condition and what movements to avoid or do more of?

Thanks

Here’s an article:

Been thinking of Australia and the fires and wondering how you are. I hope the fires are not near you.

I am in Northern Territory - in the tropics - we can get bushfires, esp since we have had less rain than usual wet season (Nov to April). The country is very dry - droughts in much o the country - this increases chances of fires. The fires in NSW, Victoria, S Australia have been catastrophic, frightening and very destructive. We've been glad of help from US firies.

Last edited by a moderator:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Bob5677