TKR RKR Surgery-8/29/2022

Congratulations on walking better than before! This will continue to improve.

Try not to worry about an MUA. They are not done to improve the straightness, they are designed to release an adhesion that prevents your bend. Your bend at 106 is great.

Your extension will improve as your swelling goes down and you continue to heal. Just plain walking is good for that, just don‘t overdo the walking. Make sure you walk with a heel to toe movement. Some members try to take a bigger step when walking, but that can be tricky, so be careful if you try it. You might want to use your walker if you do.

Saw the doctor today he was pleased with my healing and with my bend and extension. I was suppose to get brace to help with getting my leg straight I missed the call when the medical supply company called so I didn’t get so they getting it for me now.
I asked about my left knee he said I can do it now if I want. I told I was ready I didn’t want to wait 6 months to year and wish I got it done sooner. He could see I am in the right frame mind to get it done. I just need bloodwork done and I can schedule my surgery for the end of October beginning of November.
I had my last PT session today for at home and we got my knee to 3 degrees for straight. I start outpatient on Monday.

It sounds like you’re doing pretty well! Have a great weekend!

Marie

Your extension is coming along very well, 3 degrees is just about to 0. I’m surprised your doctor wants you to use a brace. Be careful with it, and let him know if it causes you any discomfort.

Your extension is coming along very well, 3 degrees is just about to 0. I’m surprised your doctor wants you to use a brace. Be careful with it, and let him know if it causes you any discomfort.
At the appointment I couldn’t get it to 3 and he was eyeing it and was kind estimating I was at 10. He said it is common to back to where I was before the surgery. I told him that was why I wanted to have the other surgery so I don’t compensate for my other knee and screw up my new knee waiting for the old one to get done.

Had my first session of outpatient PT yesterday. It hurt to bend my knee she said it wasn’t because it is stiff just pain and that Is good. I see my back doctor tomorrow and then have another PT Session. My therapist said that my left leg is the one that is getting bad now. She was glad I was getting the other knee done.
I am getting CT scan on my left knee on Friday night they wanted doctors tomorrow but I had to reschedule because I have two appointments tomorrow. So my friend is taking me but I still don’t know when my next surgery is.

PT that hurts is not helping you, it's setting you back. Discomfort is OK but pain isn't. Be sure to not let anyone push or pull on your leg or knee. That is also bad on a new knee.

PT that hurts is not helping you, it's setting you back. Discomfort is OK but pain isn't. Be sure to not let anyone push or pull on your leg or knee. That is also bad on a new knee.
Today in PT my therapist figured if she tires to bend my knee I get tensed up and hurts more than if use something to bend my knee I can control the pain slower and it doesn’t hurt as much. I can get better bend if I bend it. She had me do couple exercises where I could slowly bend it myself.

I can get better bend if I bend it. She had me do couple exercises where I could slowly bend it myself.
Yes! Always be in control of what happens to your knee and you'll be much better off.

Friday I had CT on my left leg for my upcoming surgery. I walked with my walker to the place in the hospital. It wasn’t too bad my friend dropped me off at the front and I walked in it was a good 5-10 minute walk with a walker After we went to Walmart to get presents for a baby shower. I walked around for about an hour and fifteen minutes. I hadn’t taken too much Tylenol all day. It isn’t bothering me as much with the pain.

Yesterday I went to my friend's to help with favors for the baby shower she has stairs that the one side has no railing but I managed to get up okay. When I got home I had early do and iced my knee.

Since the surgery, I noticed my knee takes a moment to straighten if has been bent for a long time like if I was sleeping. I try and keep it straight when I am on my side but I bend while sleeping. If I am laying down it takes a few to straighten my knee sometimes I have to stand to straighten it.

Anyway, I noticed this morning it was actually easier to straighten my knee. My knee is feeling looser and straighten my knee when I lay down. I think the walking helped.

Today I have the baby shower so more moving around today. I was able to put on jeans okay. I have been in shorts and sweats for the last 6 weeks.

Had PT today. whenever she tries to have bend my knee I tense up and it hurts more than I feel like it probably should and scream little. She stops when it hurts to much but my bend is getting better. She also had me practice standing up use my right knee so I can use to using my right leg again specially before my surgery in November.

There is no need for your PT to bend your knee at all, and especially not to such a painful level. Just say no. I will never allow that again.

Sounds like you're doing pretty well. I have the problem of tensing up at the PT as well, they call it guarding. I guard a lot! I have to consciously take a deep breath and relax, then the exercises don't hurt. Well, they are uncomfortable but not to the point of pain. I have always been one who worries about pain before it happens, so I guess it's a natural reaction, to guard against what's coming.

And you are brave for wearing jeans. How did that go? I tried jeans once about 3 months after my first TKR, and my poor leg was in pain for the next day or two. To the point where I almost took a pain pill, when I hadn't taken any for weeks. I try to desensitize my leg to fabrics like they recommend here and elsewhere, but denim is still just too harsh. I am preparing to be very cold this winter since I'll probably continue wearing shorts and skorts indefinitely.

I think I lost weight because the jeans were about size to big so the legs on the pants were kind of wide so they didn’t bug me to much. Leggings are usually my go to pants but with PT I need to wear pants I can pull my leg pants up.

I had great session in PT today. My flex is getting better almost all the way back. My extension is almost there but not quite. So when I called my orthopedic about my PCP making my appointment today my post op. I asked her about my dynamic brace I was supposed to get right after my surgery. She had to send post op notes and PT notes so hopefully I will hear something soon.
PT said that I can try the pool so I trying the pool next week. I hoping it can keep me busy because I feeling like I miss work at the moment. I wishing I could go back to work in between.

Another great session in PT. I got my rom to 115 my therapist said she pushes for 120. The doctor considers success 100-110 but she pushes for 120. She said the only thing that stopping me from getting there is pain. She it isn’t stiff or isn‘t scar tissue building up.
I also got my dynasplint today to get leg to 0 extension. I will be able use on my left knee when I have surgery on that on next month. I excited to start using it.

She said the only thing that stopping me from getting there is pain.
You have pain because you aren’t healed enough yet for the 120. You are less than 2 moths into a recovery that takes a year. There is no rush for ROM, mine continued to improve even into my third year post op.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
galvesean
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom