Resources for help

YoungHippy

Country
United States United States
I read a thread on here recently about a member needing a hip replacement and not being able to afford it. It really hurt my feelings that was happening to her. That could be any of us at any time. I know that most countries do have some form of socialized healthcare now that helps with things like that, but in the US we don't have that yet. I was wondering who would be interested in helping research ways to help people? For one person to research everything out there would be a huge undertaking, but for each of us to research options in our locality wouldn't be so bad.

Maybe we could start with a thread about organizations that could potentially help someone going through this. Resources available for states, affordable insurance etc.

I don't want this to end up being a politically charged debate over the state of healthcare. That is not the point. The point is to potentially help someone.

@YoungHippy What a great idea! I know @Jamie has helped a few members in the US find ways to get their op or work within the US system. It would be great to have all the information in one place for members to access and learn. I've tag her for her input.
I don't want this to end up being a politically charged debate over the state of healthcare. That is not the point. The point is to potentially help someone.
Exactly!

Sure....a thread to talk about financial resources and help with the cost of surgery is fine. You are right that there are options out there, but it varies from state to state and changes over time. It's going to be a little difficult to keep information current in this thread. However, I think it would be helpful if members who had dealt with this could talk about their experiences and how they obtained help.

What I do is research each situation on a case by case basis. This gives me the most current data out there that would apply for a specific state and individual. People can do the same on their own with Google searches, but lots of times that's difficult for individuals and I don't mind helping.

This thread can deal with resources, but we won't allow political discussions about healthcare. That's not the purpose of BoneSmart and posts that start in that direction will be removed.

I found this today via Google search. It seems like it could be an interesting option to get a joint replacement. Wonder how we could get the word out on this and make it bigger?

http://www.opwalkusa.com/index.html

ETA It looks like they are no longer accepting applications for this year, but check next year. They are also hoping to add new locations each year. They require that candidates be within 70 miles of a participating surgery site, but they don't publish surgery sites until later in the year.

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Lizardtails
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom