Revised PKR to TKR Recovery

My surgeon appt is April 18 and I’m scared that she’ll order me to do an MUA. I’m hoping my husband can come to support me with my decision to not have the MUA
YOU are the boss, not the doctor. Just say no, and don't listen to anything about a time-limit because there is no such thing. Your knee has been through the mill and requires gentle treatment, not forced movements, which just set you back. We know, we have all been there!

I have been experiencing a burning and lack of sensation of my thigh on my surgery knee.

Has anyone suffered femoral nerve damage?

Femoral nerve palsy (weakness/dysfunction) can happen after a knee replacement, though it's rare.

Here on the forums it's rarely cited by members and then it's after hip, not knee, replacement (I checked in order to point you to members with this experience).

With the knee, potential causes include the perioperative femoral nerve blocks and the thigh tourniquet. These are generally experienced early postop and are usually temporary - the same as with other nerve damage, they are prone to zingers and paresthesias (odd sensations) as they start to heal.

If you've been experiencing the burning and numbness since early in the post-op period, just be aware it should resolve, which will be noticeable as subtle or even marked (zingers) changes in the sensations.

If your burning and numbness is of very recent onset, then I'd suggest checking in with your ortho about it.

If the burning is interfering with your recovery and quality of life, you can discuss with your surgeon trying a medication specific for nerve pain such as gabapentin or lyrica.

Try not to get too alarmed with some numbness and burning pain this early in your recovery. It can happen and will usually resolve with some times (like months, not weeks). However, if you notice things worsening (more burning/pain or a numb area that gets larger), you do need to check with your surgeon or GP.

I’ll also support the previous comments that you don’t need to get an MUA if you prefer to try a slower route to improved ROM. There is no “window” and you know your body better than anyone.

There was some words of advice that helped. It talked about feeling down. Can someone for it? I can’t remember all the words

@jenm1970 Inthink you might be referring to this article:

By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
BPA66
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom