Bilateral TKR Recovery from BTKR, Spacer Exchanges and MUA

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI Merry, my OS and Dentist insist on the antibiotic before any procedure, and I"m told this is from now on. I dislike the antibiotic because of the UTI that almost always follows, but I fear an infection more than that.

Good luck, hope you find resolution.

Dawn

Wait! Isn't a UTI an infection? And if you get that infection from taking the antibiotic are you not more likely to get another infection since your system is already compromised?

This is a timely thread! I had a TKR in February and have just taken (against my better judgment) two 500mg tablets of erythrocin for a dental cleaning in about an hour. My surgeon wants me to take two more for two days afterwards. I feel this is too high a dose and will knock out all defenses in my body.

I have had the same issues with UTI's and don't want to go there again, neither am I willing to risk an infection in the new knee. I guess the only thing to do it to follow directions, eat lots of yogurt, and hope nothing happens.

I happen to be on Cipro right now for a bladder infection and I have a single pill to take the last day, of something else, to prevent a yeast infection as a result of the antibiotics. It's not a bacterial UTI that is the problem, but a vaginal yeast growth.

My OS says yes to the antibiotics as well. Before dental cleaning and "dirty" procedures, colonoscopy, or surgery involving the intestines.

I took Amox before deep root cleaning, and before a root canal nearly 1 year out of my BTKR. The endodontist sent me home with a script for Z-Pac.

I scheduled my 50 year old colonoscopy screening today, for next month. Lady on phone was going to have to ask the Dr. about the antibiotics and get back to me. My Stryker card lists colonoscopies as needing antibiotics. but things may have changed.

About Cipro, has anyone heard of any bad effects from taking that? I was just recently talking to a friend, and her husband took a lot of it for sinus problems, and now has a lot of problems with his elbows. Don't want to scare anyone. Guess all drugs have their issues. Lady on the phone couldn't believe I wasn't on any meds at my age. I said that the time was probably coming soon.:rolleyespink:

A urinary tract infection, or UTI, is an infection that can occur in both men and women. Antibiotics are used to cure a urinary tract infection; however not every antibiotic will work for this purpose. A person taking antibiotics for another type of infection may still develop a urinary tract infection.

I was told I would need to take these every time I have dental work scheduled. The dentist advises two year and my OS said for life....:hairpulling:

There is a wide difference of opinion and no really hard science to back any of them up. You'll have to decide what is course of action makes you feel the most comfortable and go with that.

And jus t to confuse the issue, in the UK the advice is no antibiotics

I take 4 penicillin pills before my dental cleaning visits. I also had a colonoscopy and was giving IV antibiotics. I was told that for a colonoscopy you only need antibiotics if your had your knee replacement within 2 years of having the procedure.

It will be interesting what my Dr. says. She's a younger one, from best schools and hospitals, and I trust what her decision will be. I'll be short of 3 years at the time.

I take 4 penicillin pills before my dental cleaning visits. I also had a colonoscopy and was giving IV antibiotics. I was told that for a colonoscopy you only need antibiotics if your had your knee replacement within 2 years of having the procedure.

I think I read that for the colonoscopy, only if there were polps removed. No single right answer.

I discussed this with my dentist just last week and she says the latest (UK) protocol is NO prophylactic antibiotics necessary, not only for joint replacements but also people with mitral valve implants, etc!

I also raised the subject with Dr Maale when I met him and he was of the opinion that all implants have some degree of contamination in the form of 'biofilm' from the moment that are put in in which case 'late onset infection' is nothing to do with things like dental treatment or other infections. The search is on now to find out what triggers one person's biofilm to become a problem when many hundreds of others' don't.

Watch this space .....

I was going to wait til I had my appt with the OS next week but thought it would be smarter to post before and get feedback.

Had BTKR July 2010. Recovery took about a year but I made it but have continued to have pain in left knee. Was treated by PT for tendonitis which I had before surgery. Finally went back to OS recently. He was very concerned..Had aspiration (no infection) and nuclear bone scan(prosthesis is fine) and he suspects hip arthritis. In US a cortisone done with fluoroscope is a a common tool used for diagnosis for hip arthritis. Felt ok the first few days (lidocaine) but my knee still hurts. Not as severe as before which makes me think it is the hip but definitely not a livable condition. Loading (getting up) is painful but sitting is the worse. But..and here is the strange thing..you can definitely see swelling and distortion on the knee. I have always felt like he dropped one of his contact lens in my knee during surgery..(joke). Never occurred to me that this could be hip related.

Definitely have hip arthritis re x-rays but it doesnt look so terrible but I feel lousy with the pain. Cannot take anti-inflammatory because of recently diagnosed kidney disease and just weaned off Dilaudid after having second thumb joint replaced in 8 months.

After working so hard to learn to walk again properly I find that I am leaning away from that leg..Not good.

I would have to wait for a hip replacement til the fall until my hands are able to help support me but I am mystified that the hip would cause so much knee pain.

So I come to you all for feedback. I have a feeling that I am not unique.

Thanks for all the support.

Wow, Merry! I don't have any useful advice, but I wanted to say it sounds like you've been through a lot and I hope you find a resolution for this soon. I'm sure some of our savvy medical folks will check in soon and give you some worthwhile thoughts on this.

Best of luck,
La

Hi there, Merry. Sorry to hear you are having more problems.

I wouldn't take it too much as read when xrays don't show much. I've often known patients whose xrays were "oh gor blimey" but the patient didn't declare too much pain or disability while another patient with barely moderate changes has extreme pain and disability.

And I have a good tolerance to pain..but heck when you have new knees you don't want to have pain as part of your life. Will see what he says on Tuesday. I think I am more annoyed at myself for thinking it was the tendonitis and not seeking help.

Thanks for the feedback.

Back from OS. I need to have a larger spacer put in. He said it is easy (for him).. In hospital 2 or 3 days and then PT. Please share with me your experience for those that have gone through this. Relief that the implant is ok but not happy about having knee surgery again. He knows my hips need replacing but really feels that this needs to be dealt with first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Salvo12
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back