Psoriasis...starting to get itchy waiting for me new knees

2@atime

Country
United States United States
I have Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis. I use Enbrel 50mg every week to keep both in check, but as part of my pre-op was told to stop 2 weeks before my surgery on July 25th and not start again till the wounds are completely healed.

I’m very concerned about flare ups. Anyone else experience flare ups during this time? Did you use any topical to help with the itchiness?

Hi and welcome to BoneSmart! Can't say I ever remember having a member on here with that history. Sorry.
I do think you should have a talk with the doctor who manages the psoriasis for you - a dermatologist, I presume? He should be in on this and also discuss it with your OS. Often as not, I've known these instructions to be handed out by a nurse reading from a script! They know nothing! Talk to somebody who does!

I've seen other examples of people with a rheumatologic condition, such as #rheumatoidarthritis having to stop their biologic before surgery. I'd agree that you should ask your rheumy and/or dermatologist--do you need to be off it that long, and if so are there things you can do to cope if you get a bit of a flare up. I wasn't on a biologic so that wasn't an issue with my RA and surgery.

@Josephine @kneeper thank you for the feedback.

My Rheumatologist is the one the managing my Enbrel. The Enbrel affects my ability to fight off infections so I understand why I need to stop before surgery and wait till the wounds are completely healed before starting again. Since the Enbrel has kept the psoriasis in check (been using it since 2013) I haven’t been to a derm in a while since the psoriatic arthritis became the bigger problem. Will reach out to my derm for a topical prescription.

My interest was peeked when you mentioned that you didn’t recall anyone else with my psoriasis history having TKRs so I did a little research and apparently it’s not very common.

So it appears that I belong to a very small subset of TKRs that developed psoriatic arthritis from a smaller subset of folks that develop psoriasis. Aren’t I special????

Very very special.
Hope the psoriasis is manageable for you. I'll be following your recovery thread as you'll be about 6 weeks ahead of me post BTKR.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member