Posterior THR and dental work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nana757

post-grad
Country
United States United States
I am looking at posterior THR in the next few weeks and am wondering if anyone else has had dental work that had to be completed, prior to their surgery. I understand the possibility of infection is greater if it is not done. Has anyone foregone the dental work and experienced issues following hip surgery?

Hello! I always have my needed dental work done prior to my surgeries. With my hip replacement Last September I had two crowns and a root canal done just a week before surgery. I then waited 9 months to have my cleaning done ( last week). I am having three small at the gum line cavities filled in two weeks....again just a week prior to my up coming right hip replacement on July 6th.

I think it is wise to do any work prior....so you do not have to go back To the dentist for 6 months to a year after surgery.

Thanks so much for the advice. I had a lengthy conversation with my dentist today. I will be finishing up my dental work next week and hopefully be cleared for hip surgery by month end.

@Nana757 you live right where I was living until a year ago! For all I know we were neighbors :)
I used Dr Anthony Carter of HROSM, at Mary Immaculate (great experience there) , but he may only do anterior.
Sounds like you have the dental work under control-- all the best with your new hip-to-come!!!!!

My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!

I am seeing a Dr in the Atlantic Orthopedic practice and am very pleased with them. They have done 2 neck surgeries for me that included bone grafts from my pelvis bone...I have matching sides now...teheheh. The end result was remarkable...no pain and no motion restrictions since the surgery. But, back to my original post... I was looking for any excuse to avoid the last periodontal surgery, since I hate, hate, hate dental work, which is why I'm in this situation now, I guess. I am biting the bullet, so to speak, and getting the final treatment done Monday. Then I'll be done for a while. Thanks for the well wishes. Can't wait to get the THR done and get back to some kind of normalcy in my activities. I just started learning how to play golf and am doing quite well, according to my hubby. Now the whole summer is shot! BoooooHisssss!

I soooo wish I had given myself more time before surgery to get needed dental work done. My dentist did a filling and I had any real pressing issues addressed before surgery. However, I ended up breaking a tooth about 5 months after surgery and have had a lot of trouble with it... large filling, then crown, now possible root canal. If I had taken more time before surgery, I think that tooth would have been fixed and may have prevented it breaking. I had no idea how stressful it would become to deal with dental work after THR. I would have delayed my surgery if I could have seen into a crystal ball. Hope all goes well for you! :)

Yeah, Josephine, I read that too and my dental surgeon agrees. But my concern was NOT getting it done prior to the hip surgery. But, I have already decided to go ahead and finish it all and get it out of the way. Thanks so much for your reply. I really appreciate it.

@Josephine is there a standard amount of time that you are aware of that a person should wait before getting their teeth cleaned after THR? Thanks!

@Gummy Bears every surgeon will tell you something different on this. What I did was schedule a cleaning and check just before my THRs and then wait the 6 months to the next cleaning and check.

Well, all of my dental work is now complete and healed. I have been cleared for my THR....Yahoo!

:thumb: Well done - you are good to go!

@Cynthia777...funny ... I was thinking about you too! I'm doing okay...having more than usual pain the last couple of days. My knee is killing me and my hip has been so painful, I can't even maneuver in and out of the tub, for a shower, anymore. Will have to resort to hubby's shower now...
Went to OS today for our last meeting before surgery. Getting close now!!!!
How are you doing? Hope all is well with you, my friend.

@Nana757
I'm so sorry you're experiencing so much pain! This will help you look forward to your surgery (in a way). Funny you mention your knee! I just told my daughter how my knee has been kind of burning a bit. It's at the bottom of my kneecap, on the inner side of the knee. My knees are good, I'm sitting g in my fat Italian rear end (or butt for those of you in the UK) all day, so I'm pretty certain it must be from the hip...so strange! What are we, the Bobbsey Twins?

Yes, you are getting close my dear and I'm watching you like a hawk!

Last edited by a moderator:
@Cynthia777 .. I'm thinking so... That's basically where mine hurts too. It's gotta be because of all the stress im putting on them on the rare occasion I do use them. I had X-rays taken by OS a few weeks back and mine showed fine, too...so I'm not too worried. I'll keep ya posted sistah!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
IceWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom