post op THR with sleep and restless legs problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmpbluedevil1

Im 6 wks post op hip replacement , and my main problem and concern is SLEEP. Most everynight has become a real problem because restless leg syndrom has reared its ugly head , usally finally getting to sleep at 4/5 or 6 am started about 4 or 5 days ago . Ive read what several people wrote any new ideas.:dancy:

Hello and welcome to BoneSmart. I'm very much afraid that disturbed sleep patterns are part of the deal with any major surgery but restless legs can make it worse of course. I know some people have found an otc remedy that works and others got something on prescription. But I'll let them tell you all about it. I've also expanded the title on your thread to alert people to the nature of your problem.

I had restless legs with my first and couldn't sleep. It was a few hours each night and then it just disappeared! I found walking and doing my exercises would settle it, and I could then rest. Someone also suggeted tonic water with quinine and I did that as well.

I didn' have restless leg, but experienced tightness, inability to lie down and relax the legs. I have and still use magnesium at night.

wmpbluedevil1.....welcome to BoneSmart! I'm glad you found our forum and decided to join. As you've already read, sleep can be a problem for many in recovery. It will get better and for the time being, you must nap when you can to get the rest you need.

My restless legs were relieved farily well by using a heating pad at the small of my back.

Since my last post ive tried restful legs, with no help, tried exercising in the evening and a good hot shower none helped. Came back home early from vacation and went back on ambient , have slept all night since , those of u drinking tonic water and using quinine should do your research, very bad for the body. We'll see what the next few weeks brings seems to be getting better. Thanks so much for the feedback. Hip is doing great.

Thanks Mike

Hi Mike.

I am just past my 5 month mark. Still get the leg issue at times if I have pushed myself harder than usual. I have also lost a fair amount of weight since surgery so I cant help but wonder if that has maybe helped a bit. The excercises do help...but sometimes a little OTC help is whats needed......I still giggle like a school girl when I tell someone....." oh boy...I just had to take some advil for my leg last night"......its a far cry from what I used to have to take before surgery. As far as the sleep. I have just recently (and by recently I mean within the last couple weeks) started to sleep for the better part of the night now. Granted I had other things going on....but I believe a big part of it was the surgery. Cuz I would just lay awake at night in bed thinking about what to do the next day......I was always going to bake cookies the next day.......but alas the cookies never got baked..lol

Hallo, Mike,

I'm pleased to see that your sleep problems seem to be sorting themselves out all on their own. I realise how distressing it can be to be wide awake,being inclined to be rather that way myself, when all the rest of the world seem to be snoozing effortlessly. I really feel for Nadine, because when there are severe personal problems to work out, sleep can be very far away.

In my early weeks, before I discovered Bonesmart, I did sleep badly, and seemed to spend too much time obsessing about my grotesquely swollen thigh and knee, Don't get me wrong; the rest of me is pretty grotesque at the best of times, but the mangled leg was definitely something to be reserved only for late night television.

I did what I always do when things are not happening and I am bored and waiting for things to happen. I read constantly all the time, nothing demanding or scary, because if I were to do that, the resulting dreams after I had passed out with exhaustion would have been horrific enough to wake me up and I would have had to start the whole sad process over again.

Sorry, can't help with the restless legs, but they seem to be coming right for you as well. All my best wishes for a continuing excellent recovery.

Alan

I, too, have RLS and it has been a pretty significant issue since surgery. I also have Periodic Limb Movement Disorder, and found my self inadvertantly kicking alot in my sleep and waking myself up due to the pain. Very frustrating when it takes so long to get comfortable enough to sleep. I have started taking a xanax at night again, as I was doing prior to surgery and it does help. And dont fear....the RLS and PLMD does improve with time...

those of u drinking tonic water and using quinine should do your research, very bad for the body.

Thanks Mike

Mike, it would be helpful if you put link(s) to whatever research you are quoting about drinking tonic water. What you are saying contradicts what I have learned and been told about it so I would be interested to see where you got your information.

Drinking tonic water is MUCH different than taking the medication quinine which must be prescribed by your doctor. There is a very small amount of quinine in tonic water and for most people it is perfectly safe to drink a glass before bedtime. Granted, there may be a few people with sensitivity to quinine just as there are to other substances like strawberries, peanuts and other food items. But that risk of problems is very, very remote.

I think Jamie pretty much has it right. Tonic water isn't the issue in relation to all the serious side effects from what I am reading--it is the prescription strength and for those with heightened sensitivity to even a tad bit of it. But fair warning---

I was watching a program in the US yesterday called "The Doctors", and I got an interesting piece of info. The Drs were talking about different syndromes-Tourettes, Restless Leg, etc. Anyway, some studies have found that a major cause of restless leg is a lack of a certain iron in ones' system. It makes perfect sense for anyone who has had knee or hip surgery. You lose blood during the surgery, and your body is repairing itself after. No wonder we all have restless legs! I don't remember when it stopped for me, about 6 weeks after and I have had no problems since. Has anyone else in the forum heard this???

I know my doc requires iron supplements for a period before and after surgery. Maybe that is why.

My restless leg syndrome improves once I removed the TED socks, and disappeared once I started in iron supplements.

Well last night I had an attack of restless leg syndrome, I got out of bed and stood on cold tiles in my bathroom for a few minutes, it did the trick.

Hi I get a bit of that, I find the best way in my case is start to do some of those leg excises. sliding your heel and lifting your knee and wriggling your foot around. I think it takes your mind off the problem and sends me to sleep.
Mikeb

I found the reference to quinnine interesting. I have had night-time leg cramps since my back surgery 2 years ago and tried tonic water, otc magnesium, pantothenic acid, calcium etc. About a month before my THR I decided that I had to do something about it as I wouldn't be able to jump out of bed and flex my foot after hip surgery! I saw my GP who prescribed quinnine and it did the trick. Not sure if the resless legs you are experiencing is the same as the cramps I had, but I wish i'd seen my doc sooner. Speak to doctor if you are worried I am sure they can help.

I know this will sound crazy but has anyone ever put a bar of soap under your covers by your legs. I have 3 or 4 friends who swear by it. I don't know if it works because I didn't try it. My OS also put me on Iron supplements for 4 weeks and that might be the reason I didn't have RLS... although my ankles and feet drove me crazy at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
galvesean
Recent bookmarks