THR Post Op Risk due to Hospital Exposure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 4 Weeks Post Op THR: Back in the Saddle, Riding my Horse and Loving Life!

That's a fly mask. It is mesh and he can see through it. It keeps the flying insects out of his face and eyes and keeps him comfortable..​

Re: 4 Weeks Post Op THR: Back in the Saddle, Riding my Horse and Loving Life!

Well - obvious now you say it! :DOH:

Just Wondering...........

I've been reading through the posts of some of the issues people have encountered with their THRs which got me to wondering..........................

Even if all precautions are followed properly, can a misstep during the early recovery period before the bone has fused with the implant, especially on an uncemented prosthesis, cause problems such as grinding of bone, misaligning the stem or cup?
Some examples: stepping down too hard on the operated leg, a hard stub, trip or fall, an abrupt movement, etc.?

Re: Just Wondering.........................

I wouldn't think an isolated inicident or two would harm the integrity of the bond on uncemented implants. On cemented ones, it should not matter at all. I'll tag Jo so she can respond to your question. @Josephine:

Well I can only comment based on my experience after uncemented THR. I did have 2 falls and several missed steps and except for soreness after them I was fine. These new hips are very tough. If you follow your restrictions you should be just fine.

Are you total weight bearing now?

My son's supervisor had a THR about 6 months ago. She complained about having a feeling that the bottom of the stem was rubbing or grinding against the bone sometimes. Is that possible? She still walks with a limp and has pain on rainy days. She doesn't remember any trauma but notes that she did step down really hard on her operated leg a few times within a week or two after surgery. Could that have caused a problem with the implant such as jamming it too far into the bone or to the side? I do not know if she has seen her xrays.

Knock wood, I've been very fortunate not to have had any problems thus far :thumb:

I doubt if "stepping down hard" would cause a problem. But, if she is continuing to have pain, she should see her surgeon. I would assume he would take some xrays and see what is going on.

If she walks with a limp all the time, she should be using a cane and work on her gait. If the pain is only on rainy days and not all the time, it doesn't really sound like a problem with the implant.

If she had a cementless hip, it could be that. They do sometimes have prolonged stem pain. But I agree with Jamie - she needs to get it looked at.

Good luck with that :hissyfit:~!

I've spent the past 24 hours in the ER due to my mother's medical emergency. She has been admitted to the hospital and they are getting a room ready for her. Based on her history, she becomes very weak during hospitalization and has to go to rehab. She contracts C Diff and winds up staying in the hospital or rehab facility for 2 to 3 months until the intestinal infection is cleared.

Is there any risk to the THR from the intense 24 hour exposure to the germs in the ER? What about long term exposure from daily hospital visits? Thank you in advance.

The only risk is when you get bugs dumped into your circulation from treatments like root canal, dental cleaning or maybe a colonoscopy that includes removal of a polyp. So long as you are fit and healthy, you are not at risk from environmental things like that.

Is it safe to have acupuncture after THR

Hi all. I am nine months post op and the hip has been terrific. No pain, no problems.

Unfortunately, I strained my shoulder muscle by overdoing it with horse chores, house and property maintenance, heavy lifting, moving furniture, etc. That wouldn't be so bad except it is pressing on a nerve and I have pain, numbness and tingling radiating down my arm from the shoulder to the fingertips almost all the time. I've been using a muscle relaxant and anit-inflammatory gel on the area but not really helping. Xray showed no problems. It's my right arm which never gets any rest. Even at work at my computer I am constantly straining it with typing and mousing.

I would like to start acupuncture treatments since they have helped with other issues in the past. Is it safe to have acupuncture after a THR? Is it necessary to take anitbiotics an hour before? Since the treatments will probably be 3x per week, that's a lot of antibiotics to take.

Thanks for the help.

Re: Is it safe to have acupuncture after THR

Hi Jenny, sorry to hear about your shoulder. But the good news is there is no problem having acupuncture post THR. The treatment is not invasive so no need for any drugs. I had acupuncture many times post THR for back issues.

Hope it helps!

Re: Is it safe to have acupuncture after THR

Just make sure the acupuncturist uses 'sterile, one use only' needles! :wink1:

Hi Jenny, there's no problem in having accupuncture as I have been since October. As long they are sterile and are used correctly go for it. It has helped me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Air185
Recent bookmarks