Post-op personal hygiene question (Embarrassing!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of another embarassing situation.... during two of my three hip replacement surgeries (well during my first primary THR, and then in my revision) I got my period. And with the revision, it was pretty heavy. And when you can barely move enough to shift yourself in bed, there is no WAY you are going to clean yourself up when you've found out you've made a mess of your bed. And let me tell you, I had a couple of the NICEST nurses in the world that really put it into perspective for me. One said "Listen, right now you can't do this. And if all patients could take care of everything on their own, I wouldn't have a job. Nor would I want to have someone expect ME to figure out how to handle that after surgery, when I'm just tryin to figure out how to get my legs comfy in bed. So don't worry about it, I'll get you all cleaned up." And with a smile, off she went to get some washclothes and towels. I could've kissed her. In fact I had one nurse that seemed to be a little peeved with me when I was whining that I wasn't comfortable, so I politely asked the charge nurse to switch me nurses. And they did, with no complaints or questions. Hopefully if I ever have to have surgery again, I'll get the opportunity to have it there.... because that hospital and it's staff were all angels helping me through a very immobilizing and pride swallowing experience. Bless their hearts!

:wub:

Now that's what I call a nurse!

I wasn't able to shower for a LONG 18 days - I wish you a much shorter time than that!!!!

xoxoxoxo,

Linda.

Boy, you gals are something. Your start with wet wipes, move on to Saran Wrap and wind up shopping for bidet seats.
Hey, were friends here (Welcome Karen!). I have been using wet wipes for years on the open road from my bicycle. They work for everything, cleaning picnic tables, clearing the sun screen out of your ears, etc.-smooth transition using them in recovery.
I've used the wrap against the cold or to save a leftover piece of pie (it takes about 20 miles of peddling to begin digesting pie). And as I didn't have the bidet seat I would just wheel up to a local car wash...
Grossly in testimonial support,
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Hyde
Recent bookmarks