THR Post op brace

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart! Congrats on your new hip. Please leave the exact date of your Right THR so we're able to create a signature for you. Thanks in advance!

Many have worn braces early on. If you use the SEARCH at the top right of the page, typing in key words, such as "brace" or "wearing a brace" all threads where it's been mentioned will pop up. Same goes for typing in MAKO.
In addition, I am certain you will receive responses here on your thread.

I will leave you with our Recovery Guidelines and Best Wishes. Thanks for joining us, Hammahnator!
I hope you have a nice weekend!

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES
As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs
The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Nutrition is of paramount importance. Available here are dietary tips, nutrition basics and additional food supplements. These articles are both general advice on food and specific guidelines aimed at people both pre- and post-surgery.

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hypermobility usually refers to a joint laxity some of us are born with caused by inherent issues with the "tougher" support tissues like tendons and ligaments. Depending on the degree of laxity, some folks go through life experiencing dislocations. I have a much more minor type that makes my thumbs weak and places me at greater risk for athletic injury (how I found out in middle age that I have it).
Whatever your surgeon found while you were in OR, yes he's being prudent.
You might ask him more about it at follow up, and see if once you're fully healed he recommends a strengthening routine so your muscles can better support your joints.

@Hammahnator It's too bad that you're having to deal with a bit more challenging recovery but I'm sure you will agree that it's worth it to reduce the chance of a dislocation. Any story ever shared on that experience has never been a good one. Having a right hip done complicates the return to driving in normal circumstances. It is very difficult to be limited in that way, as well. Besides the fact that a brace is really an annoying inconvenience. Combine all of that and you will probably get a real case of cabin fever by the end of the six weeks. But we'll be here to cheer you on when it does.

I didn't have a THR done on my left, but I did have an open repair to my abductor tendons that put me in a brace for 6 weeks. I'm at 4 weeks today. I have to wear it all the time except for showering and use an assistive device (a walker: I'm a coward when it comes to crutches. Lol) So, I can at least commiserate with you on that aspect but also for the THR which I had 5 years ago.

I'm glad you decided to go forward with the THR. You are way too young to be in pain for years and you have technology on your side as far as implant longevity. I just kept on concentrating on how the sacrifices for the short term would pay big dividends in the long term to get me back to my life without the pain. Lots of TLC and patience will get you there. Let us know how you are doing and what we can help you with. Blessings for good healing.

Hypermobility usually refers to a joint laxity some of us are born with caused by inherent issues with the "tougher" support tissues like tendons and ligaments. Depending on the degree of laxity, some folks go through life experiencing dislocations. I have a much more minor type that makes my thumbs weak and places me at greater risk for athletic injury (how I found out in middle age that I have it).
Whatever your surgeon found while you were in OR, yes he's being prudent.
You might ask him more about it at follow up, and see if once you're fully healed he recommends a strengthening routine so your muscles can better support your joints.

Last edited:
@Hammahnator It's too bad that you're having to deal with a bit more challenging recovery but I'm sure you will agree that it's worth it to reduce the chance of a dislocation. Any story ever shared on that experience has never been a good one. Having a right hip done complicates the return to driving in normal circumstances. It is very difficult to be limited in that way, as well. Besides the fact that a brace is really an annoying inconvenience. Combine all of that and you will probably get a real case of cabin fever by the end of the six weeks. But we'll be here to cheer you on when it does.

I didn't have a THR done on my left, but I did have an open repair to my abductor tendons that put me in a brace for 6 weeks. I'm at 4 weeks today. I have to wear it all the time except for showering and use an assistive device (a walker: I'm a coward when it comes to crutches. Lol) So, I can at least commiserate with you on that aspect but also for the THR which I had 5 years ago.

I'm glad you decided to go forward with the THR. You are way too young to be in pain for years and you have technology on your side as far as implant longevity. I just kept on concentrating on how the sacrifices for the short term would pay big dividends in the long term to get me back to my life without the pain. Lots of TLC and patience will get you there. Let us know how you are doing and what we can help you with. Blessings for good healing.

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Elf1
    Staff member since October 2019
  • Layla