• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please GIVE ME ADVICE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the sight. Everytime I hear a doctor say, you are too young to have the surgries , I think you are so stupid to make people live in pain. This is my opion. No one should be left in pain. I was very active most in all my life and wore out my joints and waited longer than I should of. However now I starting to get back in action. Had my last knee done a little over 4 months so I am still in recover. You have a long life ahead of you and you should go for it. Please keep us informed on your jourey to the new hip. Tashia

Wow you are very active and have done a lot, that's such a great story :) Thank you for sharing that, really appreciate it and I hope all goes well with your leg :)

Hi, Danny! I'm new to this website. I too had SCFE. I was age 11. I had severe slip of the left hip followed by mild slip of the right (pinned in situ). The result of the operations performed then were double pins on the left and single on the right, removed 1 year later. This was the practice followed in those days (1986).

I am now 36 years old. At age 25 I began to experience what was later (5 years of complaining) diagnosed as acetabular impingement syndrome. I had osteochondroplasty nearly 5 years ago (age 32). This relieved the impingement pain I was experiencing, but the hip was not in good condition on the inside. My right hip also started to be sore, but surgeons hoped that it would go away once I was walking normally again.

In July 2011 a hip arthroscopy showed my hip was bone on bone and that it was really up to me when I wanted to have it done. They told me to wait as long as I could bear the pain, but that the only other option was to have THR. All this time my right hip was sore, but because my left hip was so much worse, it seemed bearable. By February 2012 I was using a walking stick (cane) for my left hip and by April 2012 I was unable to walk at all. I insisted on working until end of June (I'm a teacher and school ends at end June in Scotland where I live). I had THR of left hip on 12th July.

Obviously things are MASSIVELY better, but I feel that my waiting for the hip replacement literally as long as I could, allowing my hip to completely fail, has had severe detriment to the rest of my lower half, not to mention my head! I have lost confidence in myself and definitely am depressed. I am struggling to cope/accept that at my mobility is so bad. Even though I had my left hip replaced, my left knee is so MESSED UP and my right hip is agonizing. My surgeon told me that my right hip has the same deformity as my left (acetabular impingement) and that I will need it replaced. Question is, do I let it go through the same cycle as my left before I give in. I think not.

At the moment my right knee only clicks. My left knee crunches so loud people ask if that's coming from my knee! I've never had it xrayed, though I will soon at post op check, but I'm sure that the severe deformity, bone on bone grade 4 arthritis for such a long time, caused bad things to happen to my knee. It's all connected. It has to be the reason! I've never pounded the pavements running. I've been active, but in a sensible way, always knowing that my hips would give in.

So, my theory is that if I have my right hip replaced before it goes to grade 4, then I stand a chance of having only a clicky right knee! Does that make any sense? If anyone has any advice/experience regarding their knees being messed up due to messed up hips and having left them basically too long, I would be grateful for your comments.

Wow thank you for sharing that, it's soooo great to talk to someone who goes what I'm going through. Hearing your story felt like as if you were almost talking about me.

Sorry about your hips I KNOW it sucks. At first it started out as just SCFE and then years later it took over my hip till the point I couldn't bend or tie my shoe. At first I coped with it and thought to myself this cit could be worse. I got the screw removal surgery at 19 (not the THR, which I was offered but had very little knowledge on it) and shortly after I noticed no change but it taking my knee :( This time I was devastated, being that I'm so young and to have a whole leg be completely useless.

It started off by clicking, then numbness, swelling then I tore my mcl and now much worse. I thought to myself I could wait, yeah 5, maybe ten years for the pain but I came to the conclusion if it takes living like this for the next few years I don't want my hip. I don't even know if something were too happen much worse or even cause my leg more damage.

Yeah doctors say wait til you're older but it's easy to say something and not go through it. Seeing my friends at the gym, party, at baseballs games (which is my one true passion) or out all the time when I have restrictions at 22 kills me inside. It's much more then just a premature decision because when you start to feel depressed and develop low self esteem issues it can't be healthy.

I was too scared a few days ago but proud to say I'm looking for a surgeon to end this nightmare. I could only imagine what life would be like after, yeah were aware of the risk but yould would think the complications we have now were due to the THR. Your young but are you too young to live?

Danny you are such a sweetie! We have very different hip stories but some of our emotions are identical. The whole age thing is my hang up right now too. I am older than you at 38 but I relate so well to watching life go on around you. I don't even remember making plans to do things it has been so long! I cannot tell you what to do, nor should I but I'm going to anyway!! Get some shiny happy metal bone in you and get back in the game! You are way to young to live this way and you deserve much more. Yes, the future is scary but as people here say, new hips last a long time. I have said that I want my life now while my kids are little and they want me to play with them and go trick or treating, etc. I will worry about how my husband will get me and my wheel chair to Honolulu when and if that time comes later in life.
Really just wanted to send you hugs and let you know I am cheering for you and cannot wait to hear how much you love life again soon. It's right there waiting for you!
K

Danny, Thanks for your message. Yes, I feel like you. I don't make plans. My kids go to the park only with their Dad or babysitters because we can't plan anything for the family. If I go there, I'm not use to anyone and just sit on a cold bench. Sad to say, but even seeing them happy is depressing cause I can't join in. And kind of rubs salt into the wound. I am afraid to go back to work as I have lost confidence. I don't know how I'll manage in front of a class. It was hard before, and I'm starting in a new school when I do go back. Interesting to know that your knee is also affected. I'm absolutely convinced that my knees are messed up because of SCFE and the deformity caused to the femoral head. And doctors have pretty much ignored me when I've said my knees are sore because the fact is that I have had SCFE. I'll let you know how I get on when I see the consultant orthopaedic surgeon on the 8th November. Good luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Bentleysmom
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom