Physical Therapy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am using the Bledsoe Extender Plus. I have included a link to look at if you wish.

http://www.bledsoebrace.com/products/extplus.asp

I am so jealous that all of you guys did not have to wear a brace. It is so cumbersome and heavy at times. I have understood from the doctor that I am to wear this brace at all times other than in the shower so, I guess I will find out further instructions when I see him on Monday

May I ask why you are having to where this? Just doesn't make sense to me ......

I have no idea. As for the icing and elevation, yeah, I have to elevate and ice with the brace on so it hurts. As I mentioned before, I haven't been icing and elevating too much because of the pain and for the exercises, I do them but of course with the brace off. My knee basically is so used to the straight leg that when the brace is off, and my knee bends just alittle bit, it hurts. :(

My knee basically is so used to the straight leg that when the brace is off, and my knee bends just alittle bit, it hurts. :(

I'm not surprised!!

I look forward to what he says. I can only think he had to do a bit more than a straightforward TKR

Yukismom....what are you taking for pain now and how often? It sounds to me like you're having more pain than you should if your meds were working for you properly.

Yuki....I just took a look at this brace and I am confused by it also. The information does not mention using it following a knee replacement. It appears to me that it holds your knee rigid so it doesn't move. I cannot understand what benefit that is to your recovery.

I suggest that you contact your doctor's office and question why you are being forced to keep your leg without motion. In TKR recovery, normally gentle movement is GOOD for you. This is a time to question until you receive an answer that makes sense to you.

Since today is Saturday in the states, and I see my doctor on Monday, I will wait till I see him. I too am concerned as to what he will say.

For pain control, I am taking Norco every 4 hours. Remember, I only had a partial andnot a total knee replacement.

No difference. A knee replacement is a knee replacement no matter how much knee was replaced!

Sorry, I missed that about the partial. Thanks for reminding me. Did he do work on any of the cruciate ligaments then? If so, maybe that could explain the need for a brace and immobility.

Jamie - you're brilliant!!!

:blush: Shucks.....not too brilliant if I didn't notice the PKR:hehe:!!!

I would have the same questions as Jon.
Many patients have pain along their shin post-op. This is because fluid from the operation is migrating down to the ankle. This is caused by gravity. You probably can push your finger into this area and make a finger print. This is common. The pressure bandage that is wrapped around your knee usually is removed before you go home from the hospital. I'm guessing that they have you in a long leg knee immobilizer to keep your knee straight. A little different.
I have to agree with the other Smartees, medication, elevation, relax and this will all pass. You may want to call the OS and see if you can alter the bandage so the ice can be affective?
Best to you, you will improve and you have support.
David

Went to do some Christmas shopping with hubby this afternoon. Now at home elevating and icing without the brace on. It's amazing how nice people can be when they see a person with a huge brace on their leg walking on crutches! :D Yeah, I am waiting for Monday when I see my doctor to ask him the question regarding my brace. Also, need to know about driving and physical therapy. At the same time I have to sort of complain about his surgery scheduler. Before surgery she told me that surgery will be day surgery, then one day in the hospital and then day surgery again. Which one?? At least that is now behind me but if I mention this to the doctor then I may help another patient who may be contemplating surgery and help alleviate their concerns regarding how long they will be in the hospital. I fully believe that if I was to stay at least one night in the hospital then some of my questions could of been answered at that time instead of calling the doctors office daily or asking the wonderful people on this forum.

Hi Yukismom,
It sounds like you're doing pretty good if you went shopping !

Did your OS send you home with any instructions????? That brace you are wearing is used after ligament surgery. I cannot believe your doctor wouldn't tell you if he did do some repair to the ACL. If I were you I would write down every question you have and bring it with you to the doctors office. I had a partial also and had a leg brace that I wore only at night. It was to keep the knee immobile during the night. The one on your link was what my husband had when he had his ACL surgery.

As far as PT, I had it both days in the hospital,then in-home and now out patient.My shin hurt and was really bruised for a few weeks. It seemed like around the 2-3 week mark was when I really starting feeling good. I iced,using an ice machine almost constantly. I don't think they get quite as cold as the ice packs or frozen veggies so I could use it longer.

Good Luck,
Kathleen

I forgot to add that I was driving at 3 weeks. My brace was a foam,plastic and velcro affair. I had a thin,waterproof bandage on until the staples were removed.
Kathleen

If I remember correctly, the instructions were to wear this brace all of the time other than in the shower. I was sort of foggy but my hubby was there and also asked regarding the brace. I remember asking the doctor how bad my knee was and he just said "bad." I will definetely ask him regarding this brace and ACL repair. I am paying for the shopping at this time. I am elevating and icing. I have noticed though that my skin is really sensative after all of this. The skin on the back of my knee is so sensative that if I scratch, the skin sort of tears, and then anything that touches that area burns. I have band aids and other padding all around my knee and the fact that I have the brace on doesn't help!
I am getting sort of upset that my doctor hasn't said anything to me regarding what he did and why I am wearing what I am. :pzld:

I have noticed though that my skin is really sensitive after all of this. The skin on the back of my knee is so sensitive that if I scratch, the skin sort of tears, and then anything that touches that area burns.
Yuki, do you have rheumatoid arthritis and are you or have you ever been on steroids? Things like cortisone or prednisolone? I ask because I've seen this happen in RA patients who've been on steroids.

Jo-No I don't have RA. I have OA. I am on oral inhaled corticosteroids for asthma but I don't think that is the problem. My mom always said that as a baby, I always had the most sensitive skin. When I was little I could never use soaps and products with scents because they always gave me a rash. So, I think it is just my skin reacting to all of this.

As for the ACL questions, I was going over some of the paperwork that my doctor gave me post op. One of the instructions that they gave me is titled for ACL repair. So maybe he did do something involved with my ACL. I guess I shall find out tomorrow.

No need - an ACL repair is an Anterior Cruciate Ligament repair - so that completely explains the need for the brace.

Well, I knew you had OA but sometimes, for some people, it's a by product of having RA. But the friable skin certainly is a by product of long term use of corticosteroids, no doubt about it! Having a rash from soaps is quite different to having skin tear.
Skin shouldn't tear when you scratch it or catch it in a minor way. Have you told your doctor (GP) about this? I think you ought to. Nothing to do with your knee op, but it needs looking at. I've nursed a lot of patients with that problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
IceWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom