TKR PeachyKnee's Recovery

When did you decide you were glad you did your surgery? People tell me I am going to love my new knee. I’m not quite there yet. Lol.
Yes I want to know too!!! I'm still in the "maybe this wasn't such a good idea" space!
It’s better, overall. No real pain. Not taking anything but Tylenol. Maybe twice a day. So I’m getting there. Did an hour and a half there and back road trip on Saturday to see my cousin for Christmas lunch without any issues. Everyone is different. People swear it gets better….

Good progress!!!! Best to you and yours this holiday season.

You will love your new knee, and it will happen gradually as your stamina increases, you become stronger and steadier on your feet, and gain the ability to do things with more ease than before. My surgeons PA reminded me early on that while our prosthetic joint will never match our natural one, it gets pretty darned close...and it does! Good things coming, PeachyKnee! Hope your Christmas was good and you’re looking forward to the New Year. :)
@PeachyKnee

You will love your new knee, and it will happen gradually as your stamina increases, you become stronger and steadier on your feet, and gain the ability to do things with more ease than before. My surgeons PA reminded me early on that while our prosthetic joint will never match our natural one, it gets pretty darned close...and it does! Good things coming, PeachyKnee! Hope your Christmas was good and you’re looking forward to the New Year. :)
@PeachyKnee
Thank you, Layla! Words I needed to hear. I’m finding it to be true as I go along! Christmas was good. Nice and quiet.

January 2024 will start my fourth month. It is better and I have so much to be grateful for.
I did a small set of stairs at a client’s home yesterday and the back of my calf is sore and painful but the knee is doing great.
Itchy eczema is clearing up and less itchy but still has a way to go. Hopes for a better 2024 for everyone! We‘ve got this.

Another question! For those of you who take Lyrica (Pregabalin) do you take it during the day and do you have any side effects?
I took gabapentin ( very similar to pregabalin) for several months before and for a short while after my PKR.
I took it for horrible sciatica which thankfully settled once my very valgus knee was straightened.
I took it at night because that was when my pain was worse and I think it helped.
I didn't notice any side effects but presumably any drowsiness was helpful in getting off to sleep.

Another question! For those of you who take Lyrica (Pregabalin) do you take it during the day and do you have any side effects?
I took gabapentin ( very similar to pregabalin) for several months before and for a short while after my PKR.
I took it for horrible sciatica which thankfully settled once my very valgus knee was straightened.
I took it at night because that was when my pain was worse and I think it helped.
I didn't notice any side effects but presumably any drowsiness was helpful in getting off to sleep.
But you stopped taking it eventually?

Yes. I was taking it for sciatica and when that went I stopped. I carried on for a few weeks after my PKR because I was scared it would come back. I didn't have any problems stopping it. I was still taking naproxen for a while after- for the post op knee pain and some more general lower back pain. I think I stopped all pain killers around 5 months but I carried on icing for some tightness and discomfort up until about 8-9 months.

Yes. I was taking it for sciatica and when that went I stopped. I carried on for a few weeks after my PKR because I was scared it would come back. I didn't have any problems stopping it. I was still taking naproxen for a while after- for the post op knee pain and some more general lower back pain. I think I stopped all pain killers around 5 months but I carried on icing for some tightness and discomfort up until about 8-9 months.
Thank you I needed to hear this!

Happy New Year to you!
We're grateful for you and thankful you're sharing your journey with us!
:happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:
@PeachyKnee

It's a special day...Happy Three Month Anniversary, PeachyKnee!
Wishing you a great Friday and weekend!
Take good care! :friends:
@PeachyKnee

Hi Everyone! So I’m faced with a challenge today. I have a home visit to do this afternoon. I’m an office clerk for children services and I don’t officially have a case load, but I do see two families once a month. The ones I’m seeing today live in an apartment complex that does not have any elevators! They are upstair, of course and straight up. I’ve done small groups of stairs, but not a full flight up and down. Wish me luck. We have bad weather coming in later today so it might get cancelled altogether. We’ll see. Wish me luck! Otherwise, doing well.

I pray for your safety whether you have to go or not. We're supposed to get hit with the bad weather tonight. I already have a pond in my front yard that wasn't planned.

Safe travels to and from your appointment, if it’s not canceled.
Go slow, up and down the steps, breaks are allowed. :yes:
I’ll bet you do well, PeachyKnee!
@PeachyKnee

Safe driving. I am finding stairs are ok as long as I take it slow. You and I are only a week apart in our recovery journey. Hopefully the weather isn't too bad for you. We are expecting more snow tonight that's to turn to rain by morning. Third snow storm this week.

I agree with @CatieViv, important thing is take your time. If you aren’t ready for a whole flight of
stairs with new knee then up with the good one.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member