Pain at night

Nlh61

Country
United States United States
I am having tkr on May 20th but in the meantime my knee is hurting at night. Sometimes achy, sometimes little stabbing pains. What can I do to help me sleep?

I am sorry you're struggling with pain. The weeks leading up to surgery are miserable for many members.
You can make use of OTC pain relievers as well as trying heat in the form of a heating pad, or hot water bottle. Ice is another option as well as a TENS unit if you have one, or self massage. In the last couple weeks leading up to my surgery, I found getting off my feet at night and watching tv in bed with a heating pad brought comfort.
Try experimenting with a few different options and hopefully you'll find something that brings you times of relief.

Pillows certainly help me get comfortable in bed, making it easier to drift off.
I suggest making up the bed with your most comfortable bedding / blankets along with a few extra bed pillows of different degrees of firmness. Try to block out the light if it's daytime. Minimize noise unless you feel listening to calming relaxation music, a fan, or white noise may help lull you to sleep. Make sure the room temperature is not too hot or too cold. Try to disconnect from the devices at least an hour before the targeted nap or bed time, so it's easier to wind down. Limit caffeine throughout the day and consider natural sleep aids such as Valerian, Chamomile or, Magnesium, my personal favorite, which can assist in muscle relaxation and nerves and promote healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep) Most large grocers carry a variety of teas such as Celestial Seasonings - Sleepytime Herb Tea,
Yogi Teas, Bedtime, Bigelow Cozy Chamomile, all of which may help you relax...at least worth a try.

Lots of comfort to you as you wait out the last three weeks...I hope time flies.
Hang in there, relief is on the way.:console2:
@Nlh61

My pre surgery pain management so I could sleep consisted of:
Ibuprofen and or Tylenol throughout the day. A heat and massage thing for the knees and elevate when I got home. Before bed was Diclofenac or ibuprofen, Tylenol, icy hot with lidocaine, and Benadryl to help me sleep. Also acupuncture once a week.
4 months past my second surgery, I'm down to Diclofenac in the morning, ibuprofen before bed. The occasional Tylenol or heating pad.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Flag100
Recent bookmarks