Revision TKR No patience

Fair play , as they say here, using the stairs the way you do is an excellent idea-( it’s a compliment!)
[/QUOTE]

Thank you, @Eire1. With the surgeries I’ve had I’ve had to be resourceful.

I’m thankful you got up unscathed.
I wasn’t unscathed. I hurt for weeks. It’s a wonder I didn’t break my tailbone. Thankfully I didn’t. And it would have been very bad timing if I had, as my husband was very ill at the time and really needed me. I was much more careful after that.

@Jockette I'm truly sorry you were injured. I do understand your situation with your husband needing you. That’s the same situation I was in when I fell on my knee and tore the ligament. I didn’t seek care for it as he needed me. It was a very difficult time. He passed the following year.

Oh my, how did you manage with an injury like that?

I understand those difficult days. For me it’s always worse at holidays, but something can always set me off on a regular day. You are in my thoughts and prayers. :console2: :prayer:

Hi @Jockette,@Eire1 and all, I’m not sure I’m going to survive this knee. Now I’m fearing infection. Last night as I was moving around in my recliner, I thought I felt strange movement in my knee. Right after, my knee was so swollen I could barely bend it. I hobbled my way to the kitchen for ice. I put weight on it and it didn’t really pain but it felt odd. I couldn’t have walked far. All day yesterday I had what felt like shin splint pain, which I assume was from getting out of a chair without pushing with my hands. I wanted to test my quads..that was Friday. Anyway, my knee is still slightly swollen, warm but no redness. I’m able to walk normally today albeit for a little shin discomfort. It’s coming up on 3 months. Also, a part of my knee felt displaced and I had a bump on the outside of my knee. It’s sore today too. Help, I’m terrified. I see my OS tomorrow.

@Angel17701
I am glad you will be seeing your OS tomorrow, make sure to tell him all your concerns. I make a list of things I want to bring up with my OS in advance, that way I don’t forget anything in the confusion of the visit. They will be able to check out the knee and will either confirm an issue or tell you there is nothing to worry about. I am betting they tell you that the knee is good, I will have my fingers crossed for you :fingersx:
We all get these incidents which can be scary initially but usually resolve themselves in time. It’s possible you just put some soft tissue under pressure which would be why your knee swelled up. Keep going with the icing and elevating , they always help. As for the shin splint like pain , I get that when I have walked too long, the instant I feel that I sit down and ice- it’s my indicator that I am just about to join the ODIC again, in other words the over did it club!
Please let me know how you get on tomorrow.
Wishing you a deep and sound sleep:sleeep:

Thanks, I sure didn’t sleep much last night. My heart pounded so hard I thought I’d have a heart attack. This happened before and resolved but I think last night was worse. I appreciate you reaching out. I’m a wreck. I have 2 dogs and I worry about them if I have to go to the hospital. Sleep well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m so sorry you are so upset. :console2: These flare ups happen and our knee can be quite the drama Queen when it’s not happy. (Been there, done that!) I’m another one glad you have an appointment tomorrow, and I hope you will be reassured. Please let us k ow how it goes.

Yup 12 weeks in myself. My knee is definitely a drama queen. Im sure y'all will be hearing from me for some time. Probably whining ESPECIALLY when Igo back to work on the 3rd. I hope everything goes good at your drs appt.

Booger

@Jockette @Booger

I saw my surgeon. He said I likely did some “super human” twist and moved my knee. The prosthetic is on a rotating platform which accounts for the slide feel. The super human comment is because of my extraordinary flexibility, it’s hard with prosthetics and partially led to the stretching of my ligament and subsequent tear. My ligament is still in placed but slightly stretched more than last time. I have quite a bit of fluid in there too. That’s likely from my twisting. He’s not calling it total success yet as it takes time … 18 mos for complete healing. He wants me back in August or before if I need him for anything out of the ordinary. He said to keep doing what I’m doing. He’s really upset with the PTs. He said the Drs there aren’t going to be using them anymore for elderly people but have their own for people like me who just need basic mobility and strength. He said he doesn’t need his older patients put on balance beams, etc. He wants them strong and with good range of motion. We aren’t training for the Olympics! I’m trying to relax now. I try not to read too much as I get anxious reading about infections. Thanks to you who read and replied.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my, I love your doctor! What a great approach he has, and does seem to individualize his advice to his patients.

Keep posting here, we are here for you any time. :console2:

That is good news, your OS is so practical and understands the needs of his patients. You are still recovering and it will take time, I am glad he told you to come back to see him if you have any issues. Now is the time to baby the knee a little bit, rest, ice, compress and elevate. Still do your stretching and exercises but only to the point of discomfort. Remember regarding PT don’t let anyone hurt you and don’t hurt yourself- slow and steady will get the job done much better for you.
If you have any questions regarding your surgery and recovery you can search everyone’s posts here, I have found them very helpful myself- it’s nice to know you are not alone!
What kind of dogs do you have? I have 4 rescues, all variations of Jack Russell terriers, Madra, Cookie, Cara and Dana. It’s amazing how loving they are and how they seem to know instinctively you are in pain so they are more careful with you. They are my fur babies!
Happy Healing

So glad you got in quickly to see the doc and supper happy it's not more serious @Angel17701.

He said he doesn’t need his older patients put on balance beams, etc. He wants them strong and with good range of motion. We aren’t training for the Olympics!
Louder for the people in the back!!!

A happy and blessed Christmas to all! This year is very hard for me. It’s the first Christmas without my beloved husband. Thank you all so much for your kindness and encouragement. @Eire1 , I have one rescue dog who is part boxer, terrier and lab. She’s my feisty girl who is always on guard. My other dog is a Golden Retriever, he’s 2 but not yet mature. He thinks he’s still a puppy. I’m sure I’ll be posting more as this healing process goes on forever! My best to all.

Wishing everyone many blessings of health, healing, peace and goodness in the new year. Thank you everyone who has reached out to me. It will be a year January 16th.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
dxross
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom