Patellectomy No Kneecaps and a TKR<

I'm still celebrating this morning!

That is wonderful news and deserves celebration! I love my knees-wish my back were stronger and that I could kneel! But love my knees.

Well, my blessing ran out today. After church I stepped in a hole and my right foot rolled all the way to the inside and I fell on my new knee. I tried icing and elevation to relieve the ankle pain, but no good. I finally asked Marilyn to take me to a Patient First. After xrays, it was discovered I had broken 2 bones and had displacement. Man, does this hurt. They put a temporary cast on it until I can see an OS. What is really bad is there is no weight bearing on it at all. Without kneecaps, my good leg is really weak and I can hardly hop on the crutches. My new knee is very stiff, but not nearly as painful as my ankle is. Getting up my steps was impossible except on my butt. To get into the chair I had to lift myself up in little stages. God is really testing me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear this. Wishing you the speediest recovery!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Oh dear! Such bad luck! Surely this can't be fate. Hear what the OS has to say and know many prayers, including mine, are with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Paula, I am so sorry. There is never a dull moment is there? Prayers going your way.

I am sorry to hear of your bad luck. I broke and dislocated my ankle several years ago and I feel for you- it is painful. Rest and ice and elevate.
Would a walker be easier than crutches?

I am using my walker. But, it's still very difficult. I'm checking on line the best way to adjust for a non weight-bearing foot. Using it with one foot is exhausting. If only I could put my right foot down and even just steady myself, but that's out. I can make it only about 15 feet to the half-bath and back to my chair. I sure hope I can see the orthopedic tomorrow asap and get something on here that I can put down on the floor!

Paula, I just read about the kayak trip and was going to write you a congratulations, but then got to the post about your ankle. I am so sorry that you are going through this. You have been such an encouragement to me. I will be praying for you, for a quick resolution to the problem of walking and quick healing for your ankle. Sending hugs.

At least my weekend wasn't a total washout! The kayaking was so much fun and I am still thankful for getting out of it so much better than before. @sandi4213, thank you, and all of you for your prayers! I need them!

@ sandi4213, hope your OS can see you asap. Hopefully you can get some relief.
Let us know what the OS has to say.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Oh Paula, I'm soooo sorry to hear this. I guess, hang on to the feeling of that kayaking to get you through this, and prayer of course. If you had knee-caps or decent knees I would suggest a knee scooter - I used one of those when I was non weight bearing for 8 weeks with 2 fractures in my foot (of course this was before my knees got bad). Hopefully your OS will have a different solution and maybe there will be some sort of casting/bracing that will allow for some weight bearing. Special prayers for you. Another story to tell me to continue to watch where I place each foot (I find myself thinking, why do I keep looking down when I'm walking.... now I will remember why)

I ordered one of those knee scooters from Amazon last night. I can always use a pillow on it, if need be.
Oh yes, keep on watching where you put those feet!
I see the OS tomorrow morning. I pray I don't have to have surgery and I can help my old leg out some with something on this right ankle!

You have such a positive attitude, Paula, you really do. Figure out what you got to work with, then take it on. I hope you see your OS soon and can determine what you need to do.

Oh my goodness I am so sorry. You are such an uplifting source for all of us. Please let us be there for you as well! Prayers for quick healing for you and sorry if you are in pain.

Paula - I am so sorry to hear about your fall. That really stinks! You will be in my prayers!

Thank you, ladies, for your compliments. I see the OS tomorrow. I pray that surgery isn't necessary and that I can just have a boot. But, if it's truly displaced, it sounds like it'll take surgery to correct it.

oh i am so sorry to hear this. hoping the solution will not be too invasive. you are such a great help to everyone. sending hugs and prayers for your recovery.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Happy2024
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts