Revision THR Newbie tkr recovery thread<

I don't think you'll be sorry, Diana. Try the gentle stretches, Mojo, described and keep on with your daily activity and taking walks that aren't excessive. I believe you will do well.
Happy Wednesday!
@Newbie tkr

Last edited:
Mojo, curious as to what part of Georgia you live in... are you by the coast at all? Hope you have a cool day today with your hot temperatures, haha.
About 60 miles from Savannah...so not close enough...:nah:
RIDICULOUSLY HOT! :SUNsmile:
And the poor farmers.
Pray for rain.

Hello BS Family:
Just checking in to tell you what a great day I had yesterday given that I had to spend a lot of time in my car and concerned about how well my leg would do. The heat index yesterday here in Charleston was 104 degrees... I drove 40 minutes one way to pick up my girlfriend ( ice pack on hip all the way) and take her to a doctor appointment which was another 20 minutes from her house. I then brought her back home from her doctor appointment and drove myself home, (again, ice pack on the hip:ice:), drive time all in all about 2 hours. I was able to take a couple of small breaks in between and was so happy last night to get home and see that my leg was feeling just fine, just fine. No ill effects this morning either from yesterday's driving but taking it real easy today on the hip. I think I'm going to start getting out in my car a little bit more now,
:praying::prayer:...
Indeed, on Saturday same girlfriend and I will be going out for breakfast and then a pedicure, something we both richly deserve and need.
Mojo, you say you live 60 miles from Savannah so I'm assuming that you mean 60 miles west of Savannah, inland from the coast. Is your humidity any lower than it would be on the coast of Georgia? I've heard we're finally getting out of this heat wave starting tomorrow. It's crazy, right?:gaah: Until it's over I won't go outside after 10 a.m. in the morning or before 6pm in the evening, LOL. No matter, I'm from the Northeast but I love living in the Carolinas, can't imagine moving back to Pennsylvania.
Hope you and Layla have a great evening; Saturday, June 1st, I hit the beginning of the 9 week post op period...really' Hallelujah!
It's really because of you guys that I made it this far:thankyou:

Inland, yes.
Less humidity, NO.
Hot as Hades, yes.
93 tomorrow, got to find my sweater!:heehee:
Glad your day was good.
Onward and upward @Newbie tkr :egypdance:

Yeah Mojo, wrap yourself up will tomorrow. God forbid you freeze or something- at least we're not in the Midwest with all the tornadoes now that's scary!:gaah:

We get those too...and let's not forget the hurricanes.
Hey, weathering storms is what we hippys do best, right?

:wave: Hi Diana,
It's good to read that your car trip the other day went well and you didn't suffer afterward.
I'll bet getting in your car and venturing out will help you feel more part of the world.
We tend to isolate and our world shrinks as our joints deteriorate.
I hope you have a nice time with your friend on Saturday.
Enjoy the weekend!
@Newbie tkr

Thanks Layla: I have to grudgingly admit that I can no longer complain on the bonesmart website, haha:angel:
This coming Monday marks the beginning of my 9th week of post-op and for whatever reason, I'm not sure, it feels like a big milestone for me. I guess I feel as though I've passed the point where I'm no longer dreading the future and I'm actually starting to look forward to it instead. I'm walking a little bit more each day on one crutch but probably not walking as much as I should. The heat index down here in Charleston, as Mojo can attest to, living in Georgia, has been too oppressive to walk much. But I find myself becoming a little more active everyday and again, could not have done this without bonesmart to support me. It's been a lifesaver for me as I live by myself and have had little to no help in my recovery. All too often I have felt isolated and there were many many days where I cried all day thinking I would never get past this. I still have my moments of getting weepy but things are so much better now. I just don't know what else to say. I will continue to stay in touch with you and Mojo and SE Florida and Carrie, you four have been my inspiration. Thank you.

Oh, Layla: P.S. YOU'LL LOVE THIS!!
Found out today that I need a new tire for my car so I had to cancel my plans for tomorrow w/girlfriend and in fact through the entire weekend until Monday, not funny but kind of funny. Anyway, grateful to have found a new tire being sent to me and grateful to have the money and someone to mount the tire for me on Monday. It's only a couple of days I'll think of something to occupy my valuable time
-:martini::arrow::hiking:

@Newbie tkr Sweet to hear that things are finally turning the corner for you. Pretty hard to stay active in this oppressive heat for sure! Keep up the positive attitude, it really helps!! :happydance:And yes, you'd better stay in touch, lol!

Month four was my biggest turnabout...physically...therefore mentally.
I'm with you on the heat and I'm accustomed to it but as I had my BTHR in May...recovery was tough with the restrictions of not being able to do much outside walking...except early mornings.
My meds and the extreme heat caused bouts of unexpected dizziness and the number one rule for new hippys is...
No Falling Down and Going Boom!:no-fin:
Things will keep getting easier so good for you for keeping a positive attitude.
Your story will inspire others..
:flwrysmile:

I guess I feel as though I've passed the point where I'm no longer dreading the future and I'm actually starting to look forward to it instead

Love this! Very encouraging. You're on your way. :happydance: It's great to read that the BoneSmart community was there for you when you would otherwise be alone. We'll continue to be here to support and encourage you whenever you feel the need, Diana. Sorry you were forced to cancel your plans with your friend for today, but there will be many more opportunities.
I hope you have a wonderful weekend!
@Newbie tkr

Yes thank you again and again and again and again BoneSmart family! Had a good weekend and I'm walking further and further everyday on one crutch. Indeed, today I started taking steps without any crutch at all, only did about 10 steps but taking it slowly so as not to mess up anything. One thing I wanted to ask about was the fact that I really feel a need to do some strengthening and or stretching exercises. I am now 9 weeks post op, :yahoo:, and have been looking at just a couple of things I can start doing to feel stronger without necessarily OVERdoing anything. Does this make sense? For example, I cannot do a straight leg raise even to inches off the floor on my operated hip side. I have started some very gentle stretching with my thigh which is really feeling great because I've stretched for so many years and to be able to do it again now, even moderately, makes me feel better. I hope everyone is all well and I think of you; I know I'll hear back from you soon.:thankyou:

Hi BoneSmart family:
I wanted to check in and touch base.:tada:

I am now at about 2½ months post-op, unless I count by the exact days of 7 for each week, in which case I would be about 11 weeks post op, haha.

I am now walking on one crutch and have been for the past 3 weeks. Additionally, I am starting to walk without any crutches at all, just practicing about 25 to 50 steps each day without a crutch. It's all good.

However I have a couple of questions I wanted to ask you.

I noticed that my knee on the operated left hip appears to be taking the brunt of all my physical work on the operated hip. In other words after walking each day or if I accidentally over do it a bit, it's my left knee that gets swollen and seems to ache quite a bit.

I did have a left knee replacement in 2015 and when my OS had to manually put my hip back in place after dislocating it in the hospital, he did wrap his arms tightly around my left knee in order to pull the leg and hip back into position; it took him three tries to successfully get the hip back in place.

I'm wondering if that might have had any lingering effects on the left knee. Also, I'm still really only able to sleep on my back. If I put a pillow between my thighs to try to sleep on my non-operative side the left knee bothers me. Not huge pain just consistent and disturbing bad feeling. I'm not yet able to sleep on my operative side for more than 10 or 15 minutes max.

I also notice that my energy level is still fairly low, at least in my mind,:sleep:, sleeping a lot which is lovely but also wanting to feel as though I'm doing more. I know you guys haven't heard that before, haha!

I feel as though my energy level is about 60% of what it was before the surgery. Does anyone have any feedback or thoughts about this? I would truly appreciate it and I'm really happy to check in with BoneSmart.
:wave:

@Newbie tkr It's good to see your update and I've been wondering how your recovery was going.

There will probably be better thoughts and suggestions on your knee. I did have swelling for about 2 weeks but I've noticed the knee being a common complaint in the posts even several months out. Of course you still need to ice the knee for 40 to 60 minutes when you're (hopefully) elevating.

I know more about the energy drain and if you're at 60%, that's pretty danged good at 10 weeks post-op. I had my THR about a month before you and I'm just now about up to normal for me. So give it a little more time. I still am extremely tired at the end of the day and typically find myself napping at some point in the afternoon.

It sounds like you found a good balance with your recovery and it's getting better so hang in there!

Hi there :wave:
It's nice to hear from you. I hope you've been enjoying some cooler weather by now. :fingersx:
Great news on walking 25-50 steps daily without any assistance. What makes you stop at 25-50 steps, out of curiosity?

Let's tag @Josephine on your knee pain since she's been privy to many a surgery and has witnessed
the dislocation process involving the hips of patients with prosthetic knees.
I'd definitely ice the knee when it's swollen.

As far as back sleeping, give it a break, then try again. I'm sure as you continue to heal more, you'll find the position gradually becomes more comfortable.

Energy Drain is different for everyone. I don't find it odd that you're still feeling more fatigued than normal at only 11 weeks post op. Your body is still using its energy first to heal the assault it suffered. Possibly more exercise, or several short walks during the day will help re-energize you somewhat? You may want to give it a try and see how it makes you feel.

Enjoy the weekend!
@Newbie tkr

Last edited:
I noticed that my knee on the operated left hip appears to be taking the brunt of all my physical work on the operated hip. When my OS had to manually put my hip back in place after dislocating it in the hospital, he did wrap his arms tightly around my left knee in order to pull the leg and hip back into position; it took him three tries to successfully get the hip back in place.
Only 3 times? When I scrubbed for THRs, it used to be my job to pull on the leg while they reduced the hip and I've known occasions when it took us nigh on 40 minutes to get the head in! But I jest, usually the reduction took just one go. So you were unfortunate to have it take so many goes.
I'm wondering if that might have had any lingering effects on the left knee.
You wonder? I think it would be a certainty!
I also notice that my energy level is still fairly low. I feel as though my energy level is about 60% of what it was before the surgery
Here's our article on the subject Energy drain for THRs - you can see in there that the remnants of the energy drain can continue until 3 months and more post-op.

@SE Florida - yes, I've seen a lot of knee complaints as well in this forum. I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling back to normal energy-wise as you mentioned that your surgery was about a month before mine and, with the afternoon nap you are back to feeling somewhat physically normal. Tell me, what is a typical day like for you now with regards to physical activities? I'm curious:whistle:

@Layla - your reassurance and suggestions are welcome and give me some peace of mind. You had asked why I was walking without the crutch for up to fifty steps only. At about 50 steps without the crutch I do find that my left knee is hurting to the degree that I want to get off of it and rest it, not so much the hip but the left knee. Also I've learned from bonesmart that if I'm starting to limp while walking without the crutch it's time to stop. Again, I'm having to take a pause here and accept all over again that this is a process that is going to take longer than I ever imagined, probably because I'm comparing it to my original hip replacements- I seem to remember getting back to most normal activity by about 8 -10 weeks instead of the anticipated several months to a year on this particular surgery.

@Josephine - I bet you have some pretty incredible stories to tell from your work in the OR. You did mention that, while working in the OR, it would usually only take one pull for a dislocation to be replaced correctly. I want to make sure, Josephine, that you know my hip only became dislocated in my hospital bed, at some point after the surgery and I was never aware of it until they got me up on the second day of my hospital stay to start walking. I have no idea how long or how many hours the hip had actually been dislocated. So my OS had to manually get the hip pulled back into place while I was in my hospital bed and not during the actual surgery. I assume this would make no difference as far as the problems I'm having with my knee but we'll just give it time and see how it goes. If there are lingering effects, as you suggest Josephine, I can't imagine there's much I can do about it. But I appreciate your feedback.

@Newbie tkr :wave:So my day starts with feeding my "girls" (2 little furball doggies), then fixing my hubs breakfast, shower & clean myself up, then get to my desk to start work. We sell repair parts for outboard motors so the rest of my day is up and down, getting parts, packing parts, shipping parts, etc. Oh, and I can't forget, spend a lot of free time on BoneSmart :heehee:! In between all of that loveliness, it's fixing hubs lunch, some laundry or a little cleaning, tending to my fur girls every whim/need, then prepping & cooking supper. Wash dishes, crash on couch at some point through the day for nodding off! So my exciting day is up & down, back & forth, etc. Not much time for a relaxing walk around the neighborhood. Gee, never described my day before.....I can just see all of the jealousy on my exciting life, :rotfl:!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dcytpoti
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom