Narcotics the 2nd time around?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pattyann

I'm 2 months past my right THR and looking forward! to the left THR in 1 month. My Dr. just told me that 'the narcotics may not work as well on the second surgery' . . . . anyone know anything about this? have any experience with it?

It is true that your body can build a tolerance to narcotic medication taken over time.

I've taken oxycodone or Percocet on a pretty regular basis since a few months before my first surgery. I backed off some a month or so before my second hip replacement--only taking it once a day if absolutely necessary to get me through a particularly painful day--so that it would have some Ooooph again when I had the 2nd hip surgery. Worked fine after surgery. I was taking the higher end dose for the first couple of weeks after surgery (10 mg every 3 hours) and I did notice that it seemed like I was building a tolerance again, but it still worked on the surgical pain OK at that dose and frequency. I think my surgeon would have upped it higher or added something else if I had needed it. You absolutely need good pain meds after surgery even if that means you are taking more than you/they would like for a short period of time. You need to be comfortable and able to move.

Are you still taking narcotic meds from the first hip? If so, how often and what dose? If you aren't needing to take it regularly at this time through till when you have the next hip, I think you will be fine going into the next surgery and the med will work. You may have to up the dose a bit depending on how your body responds, but generally it should work. Did your surgeon say what he plans to do if the med doesn't work well? That's something to know going into the second surgery. If he is doing your surgeries this close together he must do the same for others and should have a plan in place.

Dorothy

Thanks Dorothy. What you say is reassuring. I took only 5mg Oxycodone, weaning off two weeks after surgery. None since. Fortunately my L hip pain is manageable with NSAIDs

I have had many surgeries within the last few years. Only can take one specific narcotic and it has worked fine all the times. I imagine that it depends on the patient but my personal experience is that it has been just as effective each time I had to take it.

My THR was my fourth hip surgery in less than nine months. I had no problem responding to my pain meds after THR. In fact, I began cutting back after the first week because I didn't feel like I needed as much as my OS had prescribed.

I have to have hip number two done next year.. I think it must be hard not to compare to the first THR, fact of life really. I was on heaps of serious meds ore surgery, then post I weaned off quite quickly..

We are all different, what works for one doesn't work for the another..

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Plerea
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom