Muscle spasms

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynn0813

I had tkr on Nov 9th. I am having muscle spasams behind my knee, does any body know what I can do for this? Am I using it to much or not enough. Most of the time I have them at night. I have tried elevating my leg and using ice. Any other ideas on what I could do. Thank you in advance

Lynn

Re: Muscle spasams

Hi, Lynn. Welcome to BoneSmart. I'm glad you found our forum and decided to join us.

We have had some members who experienced muscle spasms similar to what you are describing. Elevating and ice are good things to try. Be sure you put the ice on the back of your knee also. Also, you can try heat to the back of your leg, providing it doesn't cause any swelling (sometimes it does). Heat at the small of your back might help too.

You are very early in recovery. What is your typical activity level? If I know that, I can tell you whether you might be pushing things too much for this stage.

How about your pain meds? What are you taking and how often? What is your pain meds schedule for nighttime and while you're sleeping?

Re: Muscle spasams

Make sure that you are getting enough fluids. If you can, try to eat a banana or get some electrolytes into your system, Gatorade or something similar may help.

Gentle stretching and trying to reach out and touch your toes may help---it sounds like you have a cramp in either the insertion of the hamstring or the calf muscle. As Jamie said, heat may be also helpful, but you need to be careful with it.

What is your activity level? Is the muscle simply tired from doing too much, too early? Keep us informed of what is going on.

Tim C.

Yes you all are probably right about over doing it. I don't make a very good patient, in to much of a hurry. I do elevate and use ice. I didn't think about putting ice on the back of the knee, I will try that. As far as pain meds I am taking Lorcet. I can take up to 5 a day but try to only take 2. Thank you for all your help. I will keep you informed and hopefully I will be able to help some one else in the future.

Lynn

Well, there's your problem. If you are prescribed 5 a day, why don't you take them? 3 weeks is far too soon to be cutting down. I was on my full wack of pain pills for 3 full months!

Yep, Lynn....you are undermedicating yourself in addition to any overdoing it on activity. You need a different approach to your recovery....one where you take a full dose of your pain meds on a set schedule whether you hurt right then or not. This will enable to you move about better, rest better, and heal more comfortably. Don't even think about cutting back on meds for a while until you really are feeling better!

This is the number one problem that people have in recovery....pushing too hard and not taking adequate pain medication.

Please read these threads from the LIBRARY:

Pain Management

Risk of Addiction

How Long Does Healing Take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015