THR Megsmum75's Recovery

@Megsmum75 my husband is taking flucloxacillin at the moment and they are difficult to manage because of the rules around having them on an empty stomach. Luckily he only has two days left of them.

I hope you start to feel better soon.

Ah - my bad! You are right, flucloxacillin has different guidelines. A literal pain! One hour before food should cover you. But it is hard to balance all this. Hang in there - better days are coming!

Had a lovely day with friends - knackered but in a good way. We are going to the beach tomorrow (well I will be staying on the hard!) - I can manage about a mile using 2 crutches before I have had enough so pleased with this and feel I am making progress. Leg is slightly less itchy and I think most of the bruising has now come out so hopeful my leg will return to a semi normal size soon! Will def have a couple of easy days Mon/Tue after a busy weekend and back to hospital on Wed where hopefully they will remove the dressing and tell me the infection has gone…
Just a quick question - I am conscious I need to ice and elevate but find it really hard to elevate as raising my leg is so uncomfortable. I have tried lying on the sofa with my ankle on a cushion but can literally manage for a few
Mins before I have to move. Has anyone any tips please?
Thanks as always for your support and kind words - it really does make a world of difference xx

So I have an infection - I think caused by an allergic reaction to the glue they used under the stitches which then caused blisters, which popped and caused a mild infection. That’s why I am on antibiotics and keep having to go back and get the dressing changed as it weeps a lot. I think I have scared myself a bit reading others stories of infections - how do you know if it has gone deep into the wound? I am on day 13 and am making good progress, but today am struggling to walk even a short distance and for the first time have shooting pains - proper owch pain - rather than that dull ache of healing muscles. I am due back at the hospital on Wed anyway, but I have read so many stories of people who generally feel well in themselves then end up having the wound reopened and cleaned out - that would be my worst nightmare. I assume this is quite rare?! Or is it common for infections just below the surface to go deeper. They did take swabs on Wednesday last week but haven’t had any results yet - I will chase tomorrow.
Think it’s just my tired brain over thinking - sleep
Is not easy and I find myself googling in the early hours!!
Thanks everyone xx

@Megsmum75 - I don’t know anything about infection thankfully but is it possible some of the sharp stabbing shooting pains are related to the nerves waking up and regenerating. I had pains like that and was reassured by people on this forum that it was quite common. Hopefully your results will come back clear of any deeper infection and that the ‘ouch’ pains are nothing to worry about. Of course, everything post op is a worry and my anxiety levels at times have been through the roof so I understand how you feel. Take care.

That is reassuring to hear - it makes sense that the nerves will feel sharp when healing. Fingers crossed x

Please try to abstain from doing the Google searches and from reading Infection threads if it's freaking you out.
Let the results from the swabs tell the story.

While healing you may experience sensations of tingling, pins and needles, itching, burning and even the feeling of a minor electrical shock. These are usually good signs that the nerves are spontaneously firing through the regeneration process.

Best Wishes for your appointment on Wednesday. Let us know how it goes. We do care, Megsmum.
@Megsmum75

Had my appointment yesterday - it was a different nurse who was quite frankly a bit useless! She couldn’t find the swab results but said the antibiotics would have destroyed any infection anyway. She then put a new dressing on which peeled off the same night, so I am taking matters into my own hands as I believe fresh air will be much more beneficial and I’ll tape some gauze over it at night as it’s a bit weepy, so I don’t stick to the sheets (yuck!). The cut looks great so I am sure it will be fine.
Movement is good although I have to remind
Myself to take it slow and steady as I feel it by the evening. Bruising is slowly going and pain mainly is in the knee, I assume where they used it as a lever - I know this will sort itself with time. Swelling is a bit of a nuisance by the end of the day, but again, getting less painful.
Very happy with progress only 16 days post op - could just do with a bit better sleep! Going to try on sticks rather than crutches now and see how it goes.
Hopefully the swab results will be found if just for peace of mind, but I think I would know by now if the infection had gone deep.

Just one question that I asked the nurse and she had no idea - said to ask GP but that’s a phone appointment in 3 weeks!! Night before last my leg was really painful in bed - foot was very swollen so kept it moving every hour or so. I had stabbing pains - I put the light on to have a look and there was a bump on the front of my ankle, that then popped (it hurt!) and bruising formed immediately. I have just taken a photo of the bruising as it’s still there although foot a lot lot less swollen at the mo. Is this just swelling causing the capillaries to burst due to pressure? Just a bit wierd. Anyone else experienced this? It’s not a clot is it?

Many thanks
Megsmum75's Recovery
Xx

I'd give a call back to doctor's office, not sure what it is and I wouldn't speculate either.
You can share photo with them maybe just get an opinion on phone.
Good luck.

Can you get a referral to an infectious disease doc. It would be more reassuring and infection is their specialty>

Can’t believe I am approaching the 3 week mark on Tuesday - feeling good and moving around lots but still with crutches outside - inside I can potter with nothing. Knee is giving me some stabbing pains but not suprising as I think it got rough treatment in the op!
I really want to try and ditch the crutches and maybe try a stick, but I am loving the freedom crutches give me. I managed 1.5miles on Friday and sat through a school play (on cushions!!) - I just feel very wobbly using a stick and will not be able to walk as far but as everyone keeps telling me - patience Em! I am amazed at the tiredness that still hits like a sledgehammer at times - Thursday I literally fell asleep sitting up!! Unfortunately this tiredness does not occur in bed, which despite every conceivable arrangement of cushions, proves very uncomfortable.
My leg is still swollen and bruised - less visible but really hard and sore to touch. It feels like the skin is being stretched and I am suffering terribly with itchy legs - not helped by the allergic reaction to the glue. I am going to try and get some jumbo antihistamines again as my prescription ran out and the standard ones don’t even touch it. Ice is good, but once removed makes the itching even more intense!! Hoping the swelling will go down soon - I cannot bend my knee very much, which makes getting dressed interesting! And getting into cars is awful. All minor inconveniences which I know will go - I have another 4 weeks off and a lot will improve in that time.
Happy Mother’s Day for tomorrow - my youngest and I have had a pamper night with face masks, a film and ice cream! Tomorrow I am going to try the cinema with her - we’ll be at the back so I can keep standing up and stretching!!

Meant to say thanks for the advice re foot! I just left it in the end - I still have bruises appearing and think it was just swelling that caused a capillary to pop and a bruise appear. It was the day of my long walk and probably just too much judging by the state of my leg that night!

The energy drain is real!

I am 6 months out. I still tire easily and getting enough rest to feel better took 2 nights instead of 1. This is now tapering off.

My doc said the bruising and swelling could appear in waves. If anything flares up, rest, ice and elevate. I used a foam wedge from amazon.

Just found out I have a job interview on Friday! A full day with interview lesson, tour and 2 sets of interviews. They know about my hip. Will just go for it and hit the codeine on Fri night then rest all weekend. I got my last job 3 weeks after giving birth - I feel a theme running here! Excited but nervous.

Hello! Interview over - went well but will find out if shortlisted tomorrow. If I am, it’s back on Tuesday which will be very challenging as my husband can’t bring me due to exams so I am going to brave the train - it’s a 2 hr journey but worth it if I get the job Currently tucked up in bed in a hotel - my body is saying no more today please so staying over! However, I am pleased that I have managed a long and full on day - shows I can do it even if tomorrow will be painful, which I fully accept and will rest up. I felt very underdressed in my suit and Birkenstocks - these are the only shoes I can get on my swollen foot so had a bit of a laugh in the interview. I did get me toes painted - someone pointed out the same shade as the bruising. I like to be colour coordinated Night all x

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member