Made it to the 'other side'

Status
Not open for further replies.
And that's why we are blessed to have you, Jo!!!!:wub:

LOLZ ..Thanx for the replies .
I am now moving with the walker and the cane .
I had my first dr appt and saw my new knee . He replaced the whole bottom part and half of the top . So I guess I had a 3/4 replacement?
I am still so tight and swollen ...that is terrible . I also hate the warfarin? the blood thinner ..I get the chills ect ...and ladies just so you know ..if you are on it at *that* time it can be a NIGHTMARE!
It will be 3 weeks this Friday . I am going up and down the stairs and actually drove the other day . I used the cart thing at the grocery. I also get weird pains and stuff but that's all normal right and to be expected .
My doctor mentioned the other knee when we looked at my x rays ..I don't know if I will be ready in Jan but then again to just have it all over with before spring ...some things to think about . I guess this biggest thing to do is not let the pain get you down after the surgery and to stay positive .

I honestly did have a night last week when I cried my eyes out and said that I wished I hadn't had it done . I was in alot of pain and the tightness and swelling were getting to me ...my advice for anyone that gets to that point is to just let it out . I did feel better afterwards and it does get a little better everyday . I am taking showers myself and walking with the cane and getting around a whole lot more .

Try 4 months plus, silkprint. It's a long term issue.
Tell me what pain meds are you taking, how much and how often?
And are you elevating and icing a lot or just a couple of times a day?

There are also these threads which are essential reading
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice to control swelling and pain

How Long Does Healing Take ......
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

And these are useful too
Discussion on managing pain in TKR surgery
It's never too late to get more ROM!
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Last chance to do the forum survey
If you haven't done it, please do it now
It will be gone by Monday

I honestly did have a night last week when I cried my eyes out and said that I wished I hadn't had it done . I was in alot of pain and the tightness and swelling were getting to me ...my advice for anyone that gets to that point is to just let it out . I did feel better afterward and it does get a little better everyday . I am taking showers myself and walking with the cane and getting around a whole lot more .

This is a roller coaster ride. You will haves the ups and a few downs---I can remember entertaining thoughts of "Why did I ever think of having this done?!?!" But is was replaced with pain-free living and returning to activities that I loved---but because of arthritis---I came to dread. You will not be able to believe how much better you will feel. The "downs" we be vanquished and you will win the war and regain your lifestyle.

As for the swelling---that can last a while---REST ICE ELEVATION!! REST ICE ELEVATION!! That should be your mantra.

Tim C.

Silkprint....could you please add your surgery dates to your signature? It helps us remember when you had your operation. Instructions are at this link if you need help. If you have any problems, let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HaiPao
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom