THR Made it around the corner

Six weeks down! Appointment went well. I am cleared of all restrictions (pool here I come :swim:) and I am very happy. Yesterday was the 6 week mark and I felt PHENOMENAL! I worked 8-4 then picked up groceries. No one was home so I unloaded and put up all the groceries. Had to head back out to take scatterbrained teen some things he forgot, then got home and got dinner ready. Went to shower and found myself cleaning the "surgery" out of my bedroom. Luckily hubby got home and made me sit down around 7:30....

I swelled up during the night and was soooo sore the first half of today. I'm at work but slow going and rotating gel packs religiously.

Why do I have to learn things the hard way? *face palm*

Went to shower and found myself cleaning the "surgery" out of my bedroom.

I love this! Its a great feeling to put it all away! I borrowed all of my Recovery articles from my dad who had both hips done and held onto it all. I piled stuff in a corner, one by one until I had no use for any of it and loved the day I threw it all in my vehicle to return it. We do end up with little piles here and there of meds and schedules, incision bandages etc. Then rugs rolled up or pushed aside so you can safely clunk on by with your walker and not trip. Basically many things out of place and usually a makeshift Command Central. I don't miss those days!

Wonderful news on your great appointment. Happy Six Week Anniversary! I'm sorry you were a bit ambitious yesterday and payed the price today. Hopefully any residual discomfort continues to ease as the day progresses.

Wishing you a lovely weekend!
@Chaotic

It never seems to hurt until we stop...these great new hips feel so much better with the old pre surgery pain gone!
Sliw your roll...listen to hubby...and with all the ebb and flow, your new hips will be jam up and jelly tight.:dancy:

Hope your weekend is easy breezy.:SUNsmile:

@Layla Command Central is exactly what it felt like. I cleaned my room and had all the dressers nice "for surgery" and I was just tired of the clutter from everything we had amassed during the process.

@Mojo333 you are NOT kidding about it hurting after you stop. I am trying to pay better attention to my soreness level. One good day of overdoing it puts me back a couple to get back there. I'm learning, just slowly.

I went to the pool on Saturday and was sooo sore for two days. I really didn't push and only did what didn't hurt but I know I was using and working muscles that haven't been used in a long time. My groin still seems "tenuous". It's not hurting like it did, but one wrong move and.... so I'm icing it and taking my time. I don't like being generally sore, that's why I don't do weights.... I'm whinier about being sore than even the OA pain. How funny is that. I feel really whiny but everyone has been very sweet and patient with me and reminds me to take tylenol because it actually does make the soreness go down.

I hope my June peeps are all doing really well! :chuckmarch:

I went to the pool on Saturday and was sooo sore for two days.
It is very easy to over do in a pool. You are weightless and it is much easier to move. Scale back and slow down a bit. Do half the activity you think you can do. You are right - muscles and soft tissues are not used to the activity. Ease into anything new.

I am with you on over doing it in the pool! I had no idea and then the next few days, bam! I was so sore. Oh well we've learned :loll:

Last edited:
I know I'm not the first, but does anyone have any experience with a fall post surgery? So here's the story...

I was getting ready for bed and called the dogs for their nightly walk. My teen was eating in the game room so big dog was excited hoping for something to eat. Then I walked in and called her for her nightly walk. I had to come in the room but stopped in front of the doorway to call her. She sprinted full speed at me, which I watched, but did not expect her to continue sprinting through the doorway despite my standing there. All said she sideswiped me on the left, knocking me to the hardwood floor and landing on my surgical behind. I got up okay and am walking fine but oh so sore. I can feel my sit bone when I have to sit for very long, my standing/walk limp is more pronounced, and I've had some muscle twitches in my hamstrings and quads. The pain is well controlled with tylenol and ice, but I was wondering if anyone has any advice as to what to look for if something is really wrong.

Like my brain needs another reason to think I am healing abnormally slow. Why can't I run a marathon yet? It's been 8 weeks. :banghead:

I had a very similar fall post LTHR - knocked down on my backside on a hardwood floor. All that was bruised was my ego. But I was VERY sore for several days. Falls are very jarring and many areas of the body take a hit.

I doubt you did any damage. Just rest, ice and elevate. Eight weeks out is still very early days in what can be a 12 month recovery.

@Jaycey Thank you so much for your account. I don't fall often, it was seriously a fluke, but of course I landed on the recovery side. It's hard to keep your mind from going to worst case scenario though. I already question every ache and pain so this did not help one bit.

Thank you for your reassurance.

Hi @Chaotic ! I fell smack on my op side, on the lateral angle, sort of, at about 3 months. I was carrying my large gig bag, flute+ music+ paraphernalia, 8-9 lbs, on op side shoulder. It's just a repurposed over-the-shoulder messenger bag type thing, and packs a wallop if you swing it. Hubby and I were walking over a small field from church to his mother's house. We chose, as always, to go over a parking barrier cable of about 20" height. I chose, stupidly, to go over still carrying my bag. Swung op leg over, all is well. Swung non op leg over to follow, had a very vestibular migraine moment, the bag swung across my front and straight to the ground, taking me with it and down hard. Nothing was hurt except my ego, but I must have been quite sore for awhile, don't even remember. I've fallen many times since then, but the hips are miraculously intact. I expect your will be too. You probably have an OS visit coming up soon anyway? Good xrays are comforting.

I've read back your thread and am glad you're surviving well! Parts of your experience were screaming ODIC ! at me, but you've done well despite it. I am a card carrying charter member of that club; I learn the hard way too!

@zauberflöte Oh my goodness, I am so glad to know you have survived multiple falls to no problematic ends. I go back in about 3 weeks so yes, good x-rays will help. In the meantime my bottom is still a little sore. :kickedout:

I believe that yes I am a Bonafide Card Carrying ODIC Member! This experience has humbled me quite a bit in terms of realizing what I actively do in a given day. I am looking forward to getting back to my activity level before, but have had enough setbacks to know, that will come in it's own time. Not on my schedule. It has also humbled me in the form of patience. Something I've never been quite good at.

Thank goodness for this forum and the amazing members and advisors. I really am so thankful to have found this site. :)

Hi @Chaotic
Popped around to your thread just to reply to you.
My OS would not do 2 at once though there was no difference in deterioration between the two. So they're staged 3 months apart so my right can heal some and my body can get over 1 trauma before starting another.
I am almost 20 years older than you and have had an on my feet job for 40 years.
Decided to retire so theres no reason to wait, also insurance reasons in the 1000s as well to do both in the same year.
I had a little moment of panic last week because it's only about 2 weeks away
But there is every reason to go ahead and only my dread of doing it all over again to not! I think I know better from my recent experience too, to hopefully make this recovery go smoother.

Hi there @Chaotic
I believe falling is something we all fear. I've read of many member's taking a tumble and thankfully they most often end up with varying levels of discomfort only. Supposedly dislocation is excruciatingly painful to the point of needing an ambulance transport to the hospital. Nothing I ever want to experience. :yikes:
I hope you're feeling a lot better today. Happy Tuesday!

Forgot something...
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Hope it's a good one.:flwrysmile:

Happy 2 months my friend.:egypdance:
Lots of good things still to come. :ok:

I have been out of commission, starting to get busy at work again. Thank you guys for checking in on me. I think I am recovering well. I have walked as much as 3 miles in a day with only slight discomfort and swelling by end of day. If anything my left hip is quickly becoming my hobble more than the recovering hip. It still hurts to go from standing to sitting and bending over is uncomfortable. I look forward to the future post that says it's actually gone.

I can get up and down off the floor again. The first time I crouched, the tightness in my knee was crazy. A couple of days of soreness and now I can bend back to normal. I did have a massage where the therapist worked on my leg, inner, outer, and psoas. Oh my heavens. Talk about ouch. But I feel looser and it really helped to have her work on the scar. So all in all, going well here.

I think I feel at 10 weeks, the way I expected to feel at 6 weeks based on my expectations. So It's very good to know I'm headed the right direction.

:hi: Great to hear things are progressing.
Lots of improvement to come.
Your going to love the r ed sults.:loveshwr:

Hello Everyone! So I guess I'm falling off as many do when life starts to get busy and healing progresses. I am officially 12 weeks out and I feel pretty great. I have general soreness and still tend to limp from sitting to standing for a bit. Bending over is still challenging and dang if all the files I have to pull are in the bottom drawer. :gaah:

Still for all my whining, I go days without Tylenol. I may think "hmm I should take something" but then I forget until the next time I stand up from sitting. I've had several long walking days and other than soreness and a little swelling that can still crop up in the evenings, I have done just fine.

I was at the store last night with hubby and went to make a quick turn, my hip gave out and he was like "was that your....??" and I told him, my left hip caught, not my right. So sadly it still catches and will tell me several times a week that it's still unhappy. Seriously though, I am not eager to start the process again. All the sitting still :shocked:

Overall, all is well in these woods. I officially have 4 kids in college and our high schooler in dual credit. 5 College tuitions.... My husband had dreams of retiring someday! :rofsign:

Well done my friend:tada:
Those niggles will likely lessen as time goes on.
Hope lefty behaves:umm:

All the best mojo for lots of continued improvement!:friends:

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Sounds like you're doing great for three months post op and jumping back into life. You still have months of healing to go, allowing for improvement...more to look forward to. :happydance:
Don't be a stranger here, we love updates. A great weekend to you!
@Chaotic

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
galvesean
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom