TKR Lisa G's 2nd Knee Recovery Journal

I hear you!! I usually have a kid or 2 here & even though I'm fine without them, it makes me nervous.

I also like stretching- I don't push hard but it feels like fred is hungry to move. I do get a lil stiff & get sore in my calf muscles but I'm ok w that.

My only issue with the PT was she seems to feel I am babying myself too much. She feels I am icing it too much, that I should no longer need to ice during the night. She said most people by now only ice after PT or if they do too much and there is swelling. She intimated that I am spending too much time in the recliner and that I should be doing a few more simple things around the house. This was sort of a constant theme the whole time she was here.

I don't know, maybe she is right.
That's what she's been taught, but that doesn't mean it's right for you.
It's your knee and your recovery. You can choose what you want to do.

The last time when I was just resting and elevating I had an almost constant pain level of about 4. This time, with being less active, when I am sitting around, most of the time my pain is at 0 to 1. If I have been up and done something and then I return to resting, the pain might be initially at 6 but quickly diminishes to 3 with the application of ice and then after some period of time returns to 0 to 1.
This time seems better to me. Why have constant pain when you can avoid it?

Let your knee be your guide. Take your time adding to your ADL. This is a marathon not a sprint. Why bring pain to yourself if you don't have to. That PT is just bringing your down. You are doing fine and recovering well.

It's my first TKR, so my insight is limited, but I often think US based medicine is entirely in too much of a hurry. Not everything needs to be done yesterday. I think taking care of yourself so you're in minimal pain is good, because pain is exhausting. Attitude isn't everything, but it is something important. If you're in good spirits, then don't let anyone force you out of them.

@Celle @sistersinhim @luvcats Thank you all for the support and guidance. It has been a rather busy week and this is my first time back on the forum.

I think I turned a pain corner this week. Getting up out of a chair is no longer the excurciating experience it was. It still hurts, but very manageable. Walking gets better and better in terms of the pain, and now that the staples are out I am no longer feeling all that pulling, etc. from the staples. I have practiced with the PT folding the walker up and carrying it in one hand down the stairs while holding on to the railing when I have to go out to the car. The knee feels very stable and I am amazed at how confident I feel doing this.

Particularly this morning, because the cab that I had booked to take my friend to the airport was a no show. I was afraid that we would not get another cab in time and so I ended up driving my friend! I know I should not have done that with the meds but I felt we were stuck. But everything went fine, I stayed a safe distance away from all other cars as I was aware my reaction times were not their best and traffic was fairly light. The knee was fine with the trip although I have no intention of driving anywhere anytime soon, it is just sort of nice to know that I can.

I got a bit of a chuckle with the PT yesterday. The first day she was here she gave me a set of exercises to do 3 times a day. I have mostly not done them. I do some of them, mostly the stretchy ones, but I am still mostly resting and icing, not needing to do as much elevating as the swelling has improved so much. Each day I have increased my walking and, in particular, helping out a bit in the kitchen with meals, as I knew I would be on my own starting today and I wanted to feel I could manage. So when the PT came yesterday she asked if I had been faithful with my exercises and I lied and said yes. When she had me go through the various exercises she was impressed with how much my bend had improved on some of them and said "see what happens when you do all the exercises?". I almost told her that I had not done them, but I decided to let sleeping dogs lie!

But I am starting to feel a little more like myself. The PT and doctor's appointment tire me out, and virtually guarantee me a good night's sleep, but the pain is all of a sudden just so much more manageable over the course of the day. But I still can't stay awake enough to sew (I make too many mistakes), and I don't remember what I have read so can't read anything of consequence. Still lots of binge watching ahead! Just finished a fun Canadian show called Frankie Drake Mysteries. So things move forward. I am looking forward to when I can use the cane in the house so that I can go sit outside on my deck, but I am not quite there yet.

You're doing great. I loved that feeling of turning a corner :curtsey:

@Benay Yes, that is a really great feeling, especially that first one. I remember there being a number of corners on the last knee, but that first one is just the best.:catbutterfly:

I am wondering if anyone has thoughts about this. When I am dozing during the day, not asleep but just on the verge, my TKR leg will give an almighty jerk and try to straighten out through the knee. Needless, to say I snap awake and sometimes give a yelp, as it causes a sharp pain in the knee. Nothing like this happens at night at all. It seems to just happen at odd moments. Anyone know anything about this? Does it mean anything important?

Hi, @ElanorG--

I had the same twitching show up at 8 weeks post-op after bilateral TKRS. After some research, I added potassium in the form of one banana per day, Biotin 5 mg and magnesium 300g. I did this two nights ago and have had the best two nights's sleep! No twitching at all!

@Granny719 I regularly take magnesium and resumed it after returning from the hospital. I suppose it could be that but this seems like something different. Glad it helped you!

I don't remember what I have read so can't read anything of consequence.
Oh yes, how well I remember this. We call it brain fog. It was 5 weeks before I could get back to teaching Sunday School. I just could not study my lesson, much less remember how I wanted to teach it! Thank God I had a good backup.

@sistersinhim I went to pay my property tax bill today and entered the wrong account number. I had to call the county and ask them how to fix it. One should not do anything responsible, like pay bills, etc. until off pain meds but sometimes one has no choice! The brain fog is terrible. Glad you had a backup!

Hi, @ElanorG ,
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread.
For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

I am wondering if anyone has thoughts about this. When I am dozing during the day, not asleep but just on the verge, my TKR leg will give an almighty jerk and try to straighten out through the knee. Needless, to say I snap awake and sometimes give a yelp, as it causes a sharp pain in the knee. Nothing like this happens at night at all. It seems to just happen at odd moments. Anyone know anything about this? Does it mean anything important?
Yes, this does sometimes happen. I think it's a relative of the "zingers" you get from time to time.
It's not anything to worry about.

I was just reading about your visit with the home PT and not telling her you weren't doing the exercises.

I know many people don't like confrontation, but those days are over for me. I've learned my lesson, especially with medical professionals who think only 1 way will work. Personally, I would have told her afterwards I didn't do the exercises. If they never know differently, they can't DO differently.

This is just me though. :rotfl:I want them all to be educated that less is often better, and we don't all fit in a box. I wouldn't want someone using that situation to "prove" to another patient that SHE is right. :sigh:

Don't worry about it. It's nothing to be concerned about and will settle down in due course.

During my recovery days a lady on here went crazy on Amazon and bought all kinds of ridiculous things. Thank goodness Amazon took everything back when she explained it to them.

@Rockgirl4 I thought about. But, frankly, right now I am letting a whole lot go and it was just easier to let it slide. I just can't take on teaching this awareness.

@sistersinhim Wow! Yes, I have done no online shopping other than a few things I needed to get in. I will make sure I remember this.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Salvo12
Recent bookmarks