Standard Shoulder Replacement Left TSR on 8/17... Questions Please...

schpooko

Country
United States United States
Hi, I am a bonesmartie from the Knee Forums. Had Knee replaced on Oct. 1, 2018. It was the best decision I made. I don't even realize anymore that my knee was replaced. These forums are a Godsend and I guess now I am joining the shoulder board too! I know this is not as active as the Knee Boards but I hope that some of you can answer my one question for now. Are you afraid of the panademic out there and getting major surgery like this? I will be going to a orthopedic surgery center that did not have any COVID patients at any time during the closure for elective surgery. I would not even think about doing this if I was not in so much pain but at the same time I am scared of this panademic situation too. Can anyone offer some advice on how to get over the fear of shoulder surgery and the panademic. I see on the TKR boards that people are having this surgery and I think I will post my question over there too. Well, any advice will be helpful. Thanks Schpooko

@schpooko Welcome to the shoulder forum. Yes, this area is smaller than knees or hips. But it is catching up fast.
Are you afraid of the panademic out there and getting major surgery like this?
You should know that lots of planning has gone into opening up areas for elective surgery. Here in the UK we have strict procedures in place for patients with pending surgery. Everyone is tested for the virus pre-op and then the isolate. Wards are specially prepared and every attention to detail is used to insure both patients and staff are safe. I am sure the same is the case in the US. In my mind it is probably one of the safest times to have your op. Everyone is so very aware of the need to stay safe.
I will be going to a orthopedic surgery center that did not have any COVID patients at any time during the closure for elective surgery.
Perfect - you are covered! You will probably have to go into the hospital alone and most likely you won't be allowed any visitors. That's more assurance that there is no contamination from the outside.

We have a whole area about Covid-19 on BoneSmart. Share your concerns and ask questions there as well. We will be with you through this.

Thank you so much. I will join the recovery forum on August 17th or 18th. I don't know how good my typing will be... Are there any articles and info regarding coming home, tips for being in a sling for six weeks, sleep etc...? Again thanks

Articles and info for the shoulder area are work in progress. But I'm going to tag our shoulder guru @Jamie for you. She had TSR last year and can tell you all about her experience.

Do a bit of reading in the shoulder recovery area. Jamie has already advised many of our shoulder members so you will find lots of tips there.

Jaycey is right. With all the additional safety precautions for COVID, this is a great time to have surgery, especially in a dedicated hospital like you'll be using. Right now the best way to learn what recovery will be like is to read in both the pre and post op shoulder forums. Lots of people have offered tips to make life easier.

It is a bit of a pain to be in a sling for 6 weeks. My surgeon told me before surgery that I would be totally immobile with that arm for the whole period. I think he did that for effect and because he knows I might try to push things. After surgery, he explained the sling was to protect my new shoulder and allow for time for all the soft tissues to fully heal. This is soooo critical in how successful your recovery will be. So, he told me I could use that hand to hold a container or baggie I needed to open. And I was allowed to be out of the sling when I was sitting somewhere that I could support the arm in a similar way (like sitting in a desk chair with arms at the computer). This made a HUGE difference for my sanity. He stressed that the sling had to be on any time I was in bed or lying down since I might fall asleep. That's where the unexpected can happen and you can damage the new shoulder.

Best of luck to you and ask any question that might come up. We're building quite a shoulder club here on BoneSmart these days.

I just had my left shoulder replaced 7/21/2020 and had it done at an orthopedic hospital (No sick patients). I could not have anyone with me until I reached my inpatient room. Spent 2 nights and came home to arm in immobilizer. It made me feel better knowing there were no covid patients. Have any questions, please let me know.

Thank you @Lexus05. I have a question, my doctor said only 1 night in the orthopedic hospital and I thought that is quite quick to be released (only one day) Does your doctor have it standard to stay 2 nights? What did you do in the hospital? And how are you sleeping with the sling? Sorry for all the questions but I am so concerned for all of this. I did spend 2 nights with the total knee replacement and I needed it. Did they do physical therapy with you in the hospital? Again sorry for all the questions but since you are going thru this right now it really helps to hear about your experience. Thanks

Schpooko

I would be happy to answer your questions! My doctor initially told me I would stay over night, but when I arrived for surgery, he told me he was keeping me for 2 nights. I only stayed overnight with my total knees. In the hospital, mainly rested and they work on getting your pain under control before you go home. Also worked with physical therapy on passive exercises only. They kept me in a polar ice machine (my shoulder) which I continue to use at times now after being home. Sling is a pain, but necessary for shoulder to heal. I am sleeping in a recliner at night with ice machine. Has been working pretty well so far. I will not start going to physical therapy until after my 6 week post op visit, but continue to passive exercises here at home 3 - 5 times a day. Hope I was able to answer some of your questions. Let me know if you have further questions. I am 63 years old today, so we are similiar in age.

@schpooko - I had a rotator cuff repair and not a replacement, but it also results in immobilization in the sling for 6 weeks (I wasn't even permitted passive motion). My first post has info on what I did to prepare for surgery. You might find a few nuggets on there. As to hospital stays, again, my surgery was different, but I was discharged within an hour or so after the surgery was complete. Thank goodness the nerve block was still working!

Like with THR and TKR, hospital stays seem to be getting shorter. In my state, licensure for freestanding surgery centers only permit them to keep a patient for 23 hours so doctors have had to get comfortable with shorter stays and determining which patients are good candidates for it.

@schpooko ... one or two nights in the hospital is the norm for shoulder replacements. I had my surgery on a Friday morning and went home Sunday morning. I got the extra night because I asked for it as I live by myself and wanted to be sure I was okay to care for myself. I was. I had to board my dog for 3 weeks, but that was my choice because I wanted to focus on my recovery and get stronger before I had to put her on a leash and take her outside several times a day.

The immobilization brace is kind of a pain, but you actually feel secure wearing it that you aren't going to accidentally do anything to mess up your new shoulder. Sleeping in it never was a problem for me. I didn't do well in a recliner, so I slept on the couch with a foam wedge pillow. My surgeon wanted me sleeping sort of upright for several weeks. The couch was very comfortable because of the back support. I could actually turn on my side (obviously the unoperated side!) as well as sleep on my back.

Thanks @Jamie for the info. We are getting a new couch next weekend so lets see if it will be a place to sleep but I will start off in the bed to see how I do. I hope I get two nights in the hospital I really want to be sure that I know everything I need to know about the sling, etc.. so I feel comfortable explaining it to my husband, and caretaker, for the next few weeks. See because of the pandemic I cannot have anyone with me at the hospital. It's just drop me off and goodbye. The doctor will call my husband via telephone or chat later in that day. So everything at PT I have to remember. Well, getting nervous and excited at the same time. I am in so much pain during the day that I am looking for it this surgery, just not the recovery part. I will start my Post operative posting a day before because I will be still be able to type. Take Care everyone, Schpooko

Most surgeons will try to accommodate you if you want a little time to heal in a hospital setting. You just need to communicate constantly with them about it. I definitely benefited from that extra night and was 100% ready to come home on Sunday after a Friday surgery. I hope that works for you. It's okay if you play a little Drama Queen action too about any concerns you have for going home after just one night. Key words are, "I just won't feel safe at home until....(fill in the blank)."

Time is getting closer for you. Are you getting excited or nervous? I was just like "get this over with already" I was sooo ready! If you have any further questions I'll try my best to answer them. Also, if you don't mind telling me what state you live in? Best of luck on your up coming surgery.

Can you have them use your phone to video putting sling on and taking it off and any particular PT exercises? What

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
galvesean
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom