THR Laura's THR anterior

How long does the scar take to heal?

As in heal or disappear?
Mine is barely noticeable now after two years, just slowly shrunk.

There are four wound healing phases that every wound goes through, including:
  • Hemostasis
  • Inflammation.
  • Proliferation.
  • Maturation.

Remodeling or also known as maturation phase is the fourth and final phase in wound healing and lasts from 21 days up to 2 years. In this final and longest phase, collagen synthesis is ongoing in order to strengthen the tissue. Remodeling occurs as wound continues to contract and fibers are being reorganized.

Most members report that their incision healed into a thin white line over the first year or two post op. I found the same to be true.

Have a great weekend, Law!
@Law

Not disappear, but become more smooth, not bumpy anymore.

Went for CBC (per ortho) because my iron remained low after continuing to take supplement every other day. The ortho did not add iron panel to order, which was dumb and I should've told them to but when I asked they said the CBC would be good enough. At any rate, all the results related to anemia are low, so I'm going to go to my regular doctor who knows a whole lot more about this than my ortho does.

I strongly second going to your primary doc. I have normal CBCs but am chronically low on ferritin.

My primary and I have discussed current research (why I like her!): there's a subset of folks like me who demonstrate signs of anemia yet the only lab clue is a mildly low ferritin level. Apparently there's growing evidence that the currently accepted ferritin levels aren't accurate.

She also told me that an near as she can tell reviewing the literature there's no benefit to oral iron more than twice weekly. I always pair it with a vitamin C to maximize absorption.

Reactions: Law
I've never had anemia or even low iron, though I'm chronically tired because I have Sjogrens. But all of these numbers are def lower than pre-surgery, but i didn't suffer a huge amount of blood loss, so not sure what's going on.

i'm seeing reg dr on Wednesday.

So when I stand, my right knee (op side) sticks out because my leg is a bit bent. I have to consciously straighten it. I asked my physical therapist about it and he said it's because when they told me to not swing my leg straight forward or back I followed the rules and probably barely moved it in either direction at all. So he thinks now there's scar tissue that is built up a little bit around the anterior capsule? which is affecting the knee so that is what we're going to be working on.
it's annoying.

Always something, right? No experience with the knee situation, sorry.
After my surgery I was deferred from donating blood after 6 month mark in recovery because my iron was too low. In all my years of donating I had never been deferred.
My partner & I donate at least 4x's per year sometimes more frequently depending on our schedules.
Mentioned to my primary & asked about taking iron supplement & she told me to go home & eat a steak! :heehee:

@myglasshalffull ah, ok, yes I've never never been low either but it's only been three months so OK I guess it's just normal. I did get the iron panel done and while some numbers were low they were still within the normal range so he'll probably tell me to just keep taking it every other day for now.

After my RTKR my haemoglobin was borderline and they didn't transfuse me. I was tired for a couple of months post op and looked ashen in the face. I got Ferograd with Vit C and it took one tablet a day for 3 weeks before my body said OK you've taken enough. After LTKR I took it immediately I got home.

My RTHR is is two weeks time and under my GPs instructions I've started iron now pre op to build up my reserves.

• Friendly
Reactions: Law
I'm still waiting for him to call me, so continuing the iron every other day.

@Campervan so that's good that you started it already beforehand, hopefully a better outcome with regards to energy, relatively speaking! Good luck!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Alwaysknitting
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom