Lap dog owners - how do you manage post-op?

floridoris

Country
United States United States
I'll be having a partial knee replacement in the next month or two (exact date TBD). I have an 11-pound rescue Maltipoo that is very needy. She always wants to be picked up and held when I'm standing (and she lets me know by jumping and scratching on my legs) and wants to be on my lap/legs/wherever she can get a pawhold when I'm sitting or lying down.

My daughter will be staying at home with the dog while I spend a week in a rehab facility after surgery. When I get home, my daughter will still be there to walk and feed the dog, but I know my dog will want to see me and be with me (on me). I won't be able to avoid her, and she's VERY persistent. Any other small dog owners in the same boat? Have you found ways to keep your knee safe with a lapdog around?

Hello @floridoris - and :welome:.
Do let us know when you have a date for your surgery, won't you?

You'll see that I have moved your post from the Knee Replacement Recovery Area to the Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area, since you haven't had your surgery yet.

People who have had their surgeries still come back here, to advise and talk about their experiences.

Just in case you couldn't find your thread, here are the instructions on finding your thread,
How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

Now, about your dog:
She always wants to be picked up and held when I'm standing (and she lets me know by jumping and scratching on my legs) and wants to be on my lap/legs/wherever she can get a pawhold when I'm sitting or lying down.
You have a couple of months in hand, so start training her now, to stop pawing and scratching at your legs.
You'll have to be firm with her, saying "NO" firmly, and putting her to one side. Above all, stop picking her up when she jumps and scratches at you. By picking her up, you're rewarding bad behaviour and allowing her to continue the bad habit.

If she stops pawing and jumping, reward her with a little treat, telling her she's a good girl, and patting her.

After your surgery, you will probably have a walker and you'll be able to use that to fend her off gently as well.

Have a thick towel or rug that you can put across your lap when you're about to sit or lie down, and teach her to only sit on that. If you can, have someone restrain her until you are ready for her to sit on your lap, so that she isn't scratching or trying to get a pawhold. Tell her "Wait". Have her wait on the floor until you're ready for her.

So she doesn't have to clamber up on you, maybe have a little step that she can use.
Then, when you're ready, allow her to come onto your lap, telling her something like "OK" . Reward her with a cuddle and a pat.

Our pets (both dogs and cats) seem to know somehow that we need to be treated more carefully than usual and your little girl will realise that, too, but it will be a big help to you if you start training her now.

Hi @floridoris ! I have a 13ish pound chug (chihuahua/pig mix) who needs my attention and is my loyal companion. Thankfully, she doesn't jump on me and she hates to be picked up. Rather, she is on my lap of beside me at all times. I always have my lap protected as Celle advises. That's very important. My dog has been very comforting to me throughout this recovery. There's nothing quite like a cuddly animal to help soothe you, especially when your pain level is high.

I also have two cats, one of which is very heavy! He tries to wedge himself between my legs and at times his weight has been too much. He seems to know where my ouchie is. :heehee: He literally hugs into my leg. I'll have to post some photos when I can. At times, I have used my mom-operated leg to block him from jumping on me.

I have 2 dogs, one who is a needy cocker spaniel so a bit bigger. She always likes to be held, to be close. I didn’t think about it being a problem pre-op. What I found was ‘she knew ‘ she had to be careful. In 4 weeks post -op she had only jumped over and knocked my knee. She also sits and waits at the top/bottom of the stairs while I go up and down whereas she would normally just run past. She still comes in for a cuddle but carefully. I’m like @Irish471 and wouldn’t have got through the last couple of weeks without my dogs company!

Should say in 4 weeks she has knocked my knee once!

I have a miniature poodle. He usually jumps up when I come in but now I always put the crutch in between us until he has calmed down. Having said that he is being very good and seems to understand.
As for sitting on my lap, the cat wants to do that more than the dog. I make sure my legs are covered and if I am icing even better as the ice wrap keeps the cats weight from my knee. Otherwise I put something like a magazine on my lap, on top of the cover, and the cat sleeps quite happily on that.
I am sure you will find the right way for you and you can enjoy your pet. They are very good for recovery :kitty::dogsniff:

How long after surgery can a 10lb pet lie on one's lap/knees? I asked my doctor, but he isn't a dog owner and didn't provide more than a vague answer. (I don't mean for infection, I mean bearing the weight.)

@floridoris
Its difficult to generalise about when they can sit on your lap from a weight point of view, but if you have some protection over the knee, particularly something solid then I don't see why you couldn't do it pretty soon after you get home. It probably also depends on whether or not they are likely to fidgit. If they tend to keep still then you could put them towards the unoperated side and it wouldnt be a problem.
If you are in a recliner and are reclined back a bit the dog would be able to sit higher up on your chest rather than on your knee. My cat loves to do that.

I hope my dog will sense something is amiss, but I'm not at all certain that she will. She's a jumper and often uses me as a launching or landing pad.

@Celle, I'm afraid training is rather hopeless at this stage. She's ~8 years old; I've had her for 1.5 years. When I first got her, I had a dog trainer to come to the house for several sessions. They didn't quite take. She knows "down," and she will get down when I say it. But I'm afraid she will leap onto my knee while I'm lying down without warning. I'd really like some sort of hard clamshell for my knee when I'm reclining, so that access is totally blocked. I don't know that such a thing exists.

@floridoris
I don't have a hard clamshell but I do have something that works just like it.
I bought an ice wrap thing. The piece that ices is seperate so that it can go in the freezer and the outside wraps round the knee and fastens with Velcro. There is a small hand pump attached to the outside piece that you use to add compression when you are icing (not sure I have explained it very well) but by the time the ice pad is inside and the outside blown up it does act a bit like the 'hard clamshell'

Thank you, @Bionic, I will look into that. Do you happen to know the brand name of the wrap? Shall I just do a search for ice wrap with pump?

I had an 18lb cat who liked to jump onto my lap but so long as he aimed more my thighs it was okay! Just keep a throw or blanket over the tender area to protect yourself and allow life to proceed as usual!

My 18lb TomTom
Image0013.jpg

Oscar on lap!
oscar 2010 small.jpg

Both of them, this was about 6 weeks out from my left TKR and Oscar is laying ACROSS my knee!
Oscar and Tom 5.JPG

For me I have a small fur baby dog. I was concerned because he loves to jump on mommy and give lots of love. To my surprise it really was not an issue as he seemed to just know something was different and he was careful, loving and very protective. I am betting your fur kid may have the same sense. Good luck with everything!

As my avatar shows -- i have a healthy English bull dog who weighs about 65 pounds. I am having surgery the end of this month. He is always touching us when he is on the bed or couch with us. So I appreciate this thread. We are planning to put up a doggie gate when I first get home. We will see how it goes. I need him as much as he needs me so I will want his company as soon as is reasonable. I am thinking it will be best to visit with him in the living room and have my husband beside me. Good luck to all. As a pet lover - I think seeing him will make me smile everyday.

members pic.jpg
Here is what I will face every day. As long as I keep throwing his ball, he will stay busy. This will be a challenge.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was lucky with my Springers. They all love being on my lap, but know better to stay off without an invite. They were quite content to curl up around the recliner.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Lizardtails
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom